Discussions

News: MyEclipse 6.5 Released: Includes Maven Support

1. MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench 6.5 is available today. Integral to this release is Maven4MyEclipse, a “1-Click,” ready-to-run implementation of the Maven2 project management and build services for MyEclipse. Maven4MyEclipse streamlines enterprise Maven adoption by eliminating the hassle developers have come to associate with traditional Maven installations and project setup and configuration. Maven4MyEclipse will also support the execution of enterprise Maven2 build and project management tasks such as project report generation from within MyEclipse and independently using Maven command line tools. By adding Maven4MyEclipse's advanced functionality to the already-rich feature set of MyEclipse, users will be exposed to the fastest and most powerful end-to-end tool stack in the Java industry. Also included in the MyEclipse 6.5 release are features and/or upgrades first introduced in the M1 release, including: MyEclipse Portlet tools -Spring IDE 2.0 for MyEclipse upgrade -Hibernate Tools 3.2 for MyEclipse upgrade -Java Server Faces (JSF) and Facelets enhancements -ICEfaces 1.7 JSF Ajax UI Component Update -MyEclipse Web and UML tool updates http://www.myeclipseide.com

Threaded Messages (20)

2. I'm a Pulse user - see http://poweredbypulse.com - and I don't get 6.5 through Pulse yet. How come?
  3. I'm a Pulse user - see http://poweredbypulse.com - and I don't get 6.5 through Pulse yet. How come?
    Joe; Thanks for the note. We are busily working to make MyEclipse 6.5 available on Pulse. This will take place within the next couple of business days as far as I am aware. MyEclipse is a very popular tool in launched Pulse profiles, and we want to be sure the experience is seamless for those customers who use MyEclipse. Thanks for the note, Jens Eckels Pulse Team
  4. Hello one question, why do you guys only have pulse as download option on osx and linux. The main issue here is that it fails to start on my osx installation and I have no other option to install it differently. I dont seem to be the only one having problems according to the forums, there are several threads with various problems regarding the 6.5 install and pulse. Oh well...
  5. I have to apologize for the rant, as it seems my OSX java install was hosed by an auto switch script. Anyway the installer seems to work now. But the problem still persists, why pulse only?
  6. Werner; Pulse is the most stable install for these platforms. But, if you desire to not "start from scratch" with a Pulse install and only wish to update a current install in a more traditional way, the archived update site (accept the license > select MyEclipse 6.5 > scroll down to find update archive) will allow you to use the normal Eclipse update mechanism to install MyEclipse on any platform. Best, Jens
  7. Tell me more please[ Go to top ]

What does it actually DO? I see that it helps in "eliminating the hassle" and that it will "support the execution" so that it "streamlines enterprise Maven adoption" ... but what, specifically, does it DO? Does it generate Maven build scripts? Does it allow you to view or create dependencies? create repositories? What? I'm only 75% serious here - I presume you have something worthwhile to offer (as much as anything connected with Maven can be worthwhile). Still ... can you tell us what it is without asking us to go and download and try various things? Also ... is "Maven4MyEclipse" Maven, or a wonderful special "value-added" version that works only with MyEclipse?
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench 6.5 is available today.

Integral to this release is Maven4MyEclipse, a “1-Click,” ready-to-run implementation of the Maven2 project management and build services for MyEclipse. Maven4MyEclipse streamlines enterprise Maven adoption by eliminating the hassle developers have come to associate with traditional Maven installations and project setup and configuration.

Maven4MyEclipse will also support the execution of enterprise Maven2 build and project management tasks such as project report generation from within MyEclipse and independently using Maven command line tools. By adding Maven4MyEclipse's advanced functionality to the already-rich feature set of MyEclipse, users will be exposed to the fastest and most powerful end-to-end tool stack in the Java industry.

Also included in the MyEclipse 6.5 release are features and/or upgrades first introduced in the M1 release, including:

MyEclipse Portlet tools
    -Spring IDE 2.0 for MyEclipse upgrade
    -Hibernate Tools 3.2 for MyEclipse upgrade
    -Java Server Faces (JSF) and Facelets enhancements
    -ICEfaces 1.7 JSF Ajax UI Component Update
    -MyEclipse Web and UML tool updates

http://www.myeclipseide.com
  8. It's Maven... for MyEclipse[ Go to top ]

Ethan, Good question. I'll try and address that with more detail: 1. You can create Maven2-compatible Web, EJB and Java projects from inside MyEclipse now (no need to try and jimmy-rig the two together). 2. You can run Maven goals on these projects and experience the power of Maven on MyEclipse projects - combining the features of MyEclipse and Maven. E.g.: a. Add a dependency to pom.xml and the jar will be downloaded and added to project's classpath. MyEclipse will properly use that jar for design-time and debug-time (i.e. content assist and web application debug). b. Use powerful MyEclipse IDE features to develop your JSF/Hibernate/Spring web project and generate project web site using Maven "site" goal. c. Add Maven goal as Eclipse "builder" to have it executed when your project is built. 3. Initializes local repository with the common jars that are not in central repository - saving the user from manually navigating to jar provider site and manually importing the jar to local repository. 4. Provides UI for common Maven tasks - adding dependency to pom.xml, importing jar to local repository, running goals, etc. MyEclipse users still use the IDE as they are used to. But now they also have the wealth of Maven features to help them build their applications faster. So to more general question of "what is it", it's Maven tooling tuned to work with MyEclipse, so existing MyEclipse users can hit the ground running using Maven with their projects. NOTE: In the 6.5 release we only support Maven on new projects as there was a concern of effecting the integrity of existing/complex projects. We are looking at adding support for Maven-i-zing existing projects in the 7.x release.
  9. Riyad, What did you mean when you said "In the 6.5 release we only support Maven on new projects as there was a concern of effecting the integrity of existing/complex projects. We are looking at adding support for Maven-i-zing existing projects in the 7.x release."? Does that mean that I can't take an existing maven2 project that already has an existing file structure (with existing pom.xml files) and import it into MyEclipse for use within eclipse? Or do you mean that we can't take an existing eclipse project and turn it into a MyEclipse maven project? We currently are using m2eclipse and are experiencing problems with it, so we are very interested in this news. We've been unable to find an IDE/plugin combination that will successfully build our project which uses maven2, groovy 1.5, Java 1.4, and has a hierarchical project structure. Right now our primary problem is with an incompatibility between the GMaven plugin and the maven 2.1 embedder (which I documented here: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MGROOVY-144) which all maven 2 IDE plugins seems to use. Thanks for your reply, Jason
    Ethan,
    Good question. I'll try and address that with more detail:

1. You can create Maven2-compatible Web, EJB and Java projects from inside MyEclipse now (no need to try and jimmy-rig the two together).

2. You can run Maven goals on these projects and experience the power of Maven on MyEclipse projects - combining the features of MyEclipse and Maven. E.g.:
    a. Add a dependency to pom.xml and the jar will be downloaded and added to project's classpath. MyEclipse will properly use that jar for design-time and debug-time (i.e. content assist and web application debug).
    b. Use powerful MyEclipse IDE features to develop your JSF/Hibernate/Spring web project and generate project web site using Maven "site" goal.
    c. Add Maven goal as Eclipse "builder" to have it executed when your project is built.

3. Initializes local repository with the common jars that are not in central repository - saving the user from manually navigating to jar provider site and manually importing the jar to local repository.

4. Provides UI for common Maven tasks - adding dependency to pom.xml, importing jar to local repository, running goals, etc.

MyEclipse users still use the IDE as they are used to. But now they also have the wealth of Maven features to help them build their applications faster.

So to more general question of "what is it", it's Maven tooling tuned to work with MyEclipse, so existing MyEclipse users can hit the ground running using Maven with their projects.

NOTE: In the 6.5 release we only support Maven on new projects as there was a concern of effecting the integrity of existing/complex projects. We are looking at adding support for Maven-i-zing existing projects in the 7.x release.
  10. Does that mean that I can't take an existing maven2 project that already has an existing file structure (with existing pom.xml files) and import it into MyEclipse for use within eclipse?
    Unfortunately we don't support this scenario in this release. At this moment we only support new projects created using MyEclipse wizards. We plan to address these requirements in our next releases.
  11. Does that mean that I can't take an existing maven2 project that already has an existing file structure (with existing pom.xml files) and import it into MyEclipse for use within eclipse?

Unfortunately we don't support this scenario in this release. At this moment we only support new projects created using MyEclipse wizards. We plan to address these requirements in our next releases.
    I dont see any huge problem to do this with maven anyway an eclipse:myeclipse or eclipse:eclipse does the job quite fine with minimal adjustments for webapps afterwards. I have been using maven for quite a while now and never really saw an issue with not having maven support. Although I can see the merits of integrated maven support like Netbeans currently has it (the one in Intellij is also quite good but Netbeans did it the right way) I am not sure if it really makes that much sense in a eclipse world, where dynamic incremental compilation is the the one thing which shines. I usually work that way, that I keep maven as the core of my project and then use the eclipse:eclipse artefacts to generate the build files anew once the project structure changes, in between I use Eclipse for development.
  12. Re: It's Maven... for MyEclipse[ Go to top ]

Ethan,
    Good question. I'll try and address that with more detail:

1. You can create Maven2-compatible Web, EJB and Java projects from inside MyEclipse now (no need to try and jimmy-rig the two together).

2. You can run Maven goals on these projects and experience the power of Maven on MyEclipse projects - combining the features of MyEclipse and Maven. E.g.:
    a. Add a dependency to pom.xml and the jar will be downloaded and added to project's classpath. MyEclipse will properly use that jar for design-time and debug-time (i.e. content assist and web application debug).
    b. Use powerful MyEclipse IDE features to develop your JSF/Hibernate/Spring web project and generate project web site using Maven "site" goal.
    c. Add Maven goal as Eclipse "builder" to have it executed when your project is built.

3. Initializes local repository with the common jars that are not in central repository - saving the user from manually navigating to jar provider site and manually importing the jar to local repository.

4. Provides UI for common Maven tasks - adding dependency to pom.xml, importing jar to local repository, running goals, etc.

MyEclipse users still use the IDE as they are used to. But now they also have the wealth of Maven features to help them build their applications faster.

So to more general question of "what is it", it's Maven tooling tuned to work with MyEclipse, so existing MyEclipse users can hit the ground running using Maven with their projects.

NOTE: In the 6.5 release we only support Maven on new projects as there was a concern of effecting the integrity of existing/complex projects. We are looking at adding support for Maven-i-zing existing projects in the 7.x release.
    Hmmm...still not seeing the full value here. What does the plugin actually do beyond providing a wafer thin layer on top of the following commands. 1. mvn archetype:create 2a. mvn eclipe:eclipse -DdownloadSources, which you can run to add an eclipse aspect to a newly created Maven project. If you also run this at any time it will update the classpath for the Eclipse project. 2b. mvn site 3. mvn install:install-file. Doesn't just configuring a dependency in the pom automatically download the jar when you do a 'mvn package'. Sure you may need to add a repository if its not in repo1. 4. Maven isn't going to help me build my project faster. Isn't it actually going to be slower to do a full build, assuming this plugin skips running unit tests. During development, surely you just want to bypass Maven and save (+compile) java files, etc, and hot-swap classes with whatever server you're using.
  13. Hmmm...still not seeing the full value here. What does the plugin actually do beyond providing a wafer thin layer on top of the following commands.

1. mvn archetype:create

2a. mvn eclipe:eclipse -DdownloadSources, which you can run to add an eclipse aspect to a newly created Maven project. If you also run this at any time it will update the classpath for the Eclipse project.

2b. mvn site

3. mvn install:install-file. Doesn't just configuring a dependency in the pom automatically download the jar when you do a 'mvn package'. Sure you may need to add a repository if its not in repo1.

4. Maven isn't going to help me build my project faster. Isn't it actually going to be slower to do a full build, assuming this plugin skips running unit tests. During development, surely you just want to bypass Maven and save (+compile) java files, etc, and hot-swap classes with whatever server you're using.
    Well, all IDEs are mere graphical interfaces for javac, am I right? Who would need them :) 1 and 2a will not properly configure your project to use advanced IDE features like JSF development, Hibernate reverse-engineering and others. We allow the users to use all MyEclipse features on projects that have Maven support. 2b The task is not on how to run the goal. The task is to let the users running this goal on MyEclipse project without sacrificing any MyEclipse features. I.e. common request was to make MyEclipse projects easily buildable outside of MyEclipse IDE - and now we provide this through the Maven support. 3. Nope. Say, you added dependency to Toplink essentials. a. Run Maven only to see that Jar is missing. b. Navigate to Oracle site. Navigate the download area. (For some jars you will need to register, participate in survey, etc.) d. Download and unpack the jars. e. Write that lengthy string that includes group ID/artifact ID/etc. (do this several dozen times to add all jars that MyEclipse manages) MyEclipse way: when you create the project or enable the project for JPA support, ME will scan the local repository and import missing jars. The workflow is as follows: a. Wait for progress bar to complete. 4. This is entirely optional. You can run Maven goals if you need to. And you still can avoid this.
  14. Well, all IDEs are mere graphical interfaces for javac, am I right? Who would need them :)
    Nice try.
    1 and 2a will not properly configure your project to use advanced IDE features like JSF development, Hibernate reverse-engineering and others. We allow the users to use all MyEclipse features on projects that have Maven support.
    I'm sorry, but you've used 'advanced' and 'jsf' in the same sentence. If only there was a 'mvn delete-jsf' task which meant I never had to ever deal with JSF ever again. Don't get me started on JSF. On Hibernate/JPA, you should use annotations, but that's another story. The hibernate jars are all in the main repos, and auto downloaded if you just add the dependency to your pom, do a 'mvn package eclipse:eclipse' You're wrong on 3. also. For 99.999% of jars used in typical web/enterprise apps (I don't use toplink), configuring other repositories beyond repo1 is all that's required to have missing jars + source downloaded. all you've done is managed list actually find a jar not in the main maven repos.
  15. Hope it support ZK Framework wwww.zkoss.org Since our company adopted ZK's Framework as standard.
  16. Re: MyEclipse 6.5 Released[ Go to top ]

Great although I prefer Idea (but I have to use MyEclipse in this project because there are some ant tasks that read something from the project properties in Eclipse and do something and I don't want to replace those ant tasks with my own version). I'm not sure if MyEclipse can do this (or is this an Eclispe's task?): I'd like to see a small tool tip when I use a new class (which is not in the import section). Then I can press Alt + Enter to select the class I want to import. Right now in MyEclipse 6.0.1, I have to move the cursor to that new class, press Ctrl + Shift + M and MyEclipse automatically imports a class it chooses (not my choice)! For example, this afternoon, I used @Stateful and MyEclipse imported some com.sun.xxxxxx.Stateful class, not the javax.ejb.Stateful class. Off topic: if you don't want to waste your time, ignore this section please. I have a newbie question about EJB3. I wish that my question would be posted on TSS like the question "How to display a programmatically generated image on a web page?" yesterday (now it disappears on TSS). My question is: What are the ways to avoid lazy initialization exceptions in EJB3 when there is no OpenSessionInView pattern implementation in EJB3? At this moment, I'm using Stateful Session Beans with extended persistence context. But then, I don't know when I should call the @Remove methods of thoses stateful beans. My boss doesn't allow to use Stateful Session Beans because "every time you put more things in the memory, you scare me" :( If you want to help me and don't want to contaminate this MyEclipse news, please send me an email at dxxvi at babyvn2008 (dot) com. Thanks in advance for any of your helps.
  17. Re: MyEclipse 6.5 Released[ Go to top ]

Right now in MyEclipse 6.0.1, I have to move the cursor to that new class, press Ctrl + Shift + M and MyEclipse automatically imports a class it chooses (not my choice)! For example, this afternoon, I used @Stateful and MyEclipse imported some com.sun.xxxxxx.Stateful class, not the javax.ejb.Stateful class.
    You are welcome on MyEclipse support forums to discuss problems similar to this. 1. Put your cursor after the @Stateful that has red squiggles. 2. Press Ctl+Space (Cmd+Space on Mac) Eclipse will import the class if there is only one class with that name in the classpath. If you have several classes with the same names but different packages it will offer you to select the proper class. I tested this in MyEclipse JEE5 projects and it imported the class from correct package. Please verify that your project is a MyEclipse JEE5 EJB project or check project classpath to make sure it includes JEE5 EJB jars. If you still see the problem please visit our support forum as you will get more timely response there.
  18. Re: MyEclipse 6.5 Released[ Go to top ]

What are the ways to avoid lazy initialization exceptions in EJB3 when there is no OpenSessionInView pattern implementation in EJB3?
    At this moment, I'm using Stateful Session Beans with extended persistence context. But then, I don't know when I should call the @Remove methods of thoses stateful beans. My boss doesn't allow to use Stateful Session Beans because "every time you put more things in the memory, you scare me" :(
    If you want to help me and don't want to contaminate this MyEclipse news, please send me an email at dxxvi at babyvn2008 (dot) com. Thanks in advance for any of your helps.
    Try to look into conversation frameworks which have bindings into datasources (Orchestra, Seam, Spring Webflow ...) Or load data beans anew and fill in the data you like to alter like frameworks without object tracking do... (The classical way of dealing with the request boundaries)
  19. It's great that an eclipse-based IDE provider includes support for Maven. This launch is very close in time to the creation of 2 integration for apache maven projects at the eclipse foundation IAM (created from Q4E) and m2e). As the project lead for IAM, I'm wondering if there are plans for basing the MyEclipse maven support in any of those tools (and maybe contributing some developers?).
  20. Repackaging m2eclipse?[ Go to top ]

Is there anything above and beyond what the m2eclipse plugin provides? http://archive.m2eclipse.codehaus.org/dev/475D8584.5040202%40genuitec.com
  21. Is there anything above and beyond what the m2eclipse plugin provides?
    There are many features that are MyEclipse-specific: 1. When you add "project capabilities" (i.e. enable project with Hibernate support) MyEclipse IDE will detect Maven project and configure dependencies. 2. Project deployer and export scan Maven dependencies and take into account dependency scope. 3. Wizard for importing jar to the repository. etc.