New Article: Introduction to m2eclipse

Discussions

News: New Article: Introduction to m2eclipse

1. New Article: Introduction to m2eclipse (29 messages)

The Eclipse IDE is the most widely used IDE for Java development today. At the same time, Apache Maven continues to mature, and has grown to be the industry standard for creating extensible and reliable enterprise builds. The m2eclipse project provides support for Maven within the Eclipse IDE. It is a plugin which helps bridge the gaps between Maven and Eclipse. Read about how to use m2eclipse to integrate build management into your Eclipse environment. Read Article

Threaded Messages (29)

2. Article link not working[ Go to top ]

The "Read Article" is not working...
  3. Article link working now, thanks! I tried m2eclipse before but ran into problems with the release-plugin not working with a multi module build. Also, when using command line Maven 2, the maven-elipse-plugin takes the Maven compile/test/runtime classpath and puts everything in the project classpath. How does m2eclipse handle this?
  4. Eclipse Classpath Problems[ Go to top ]

Hi Guys Great plugin, awesome features, but it really messes up the eclipse test/debug classpath when you have two or more dependent modules open in the IDE at the same time. Is there a workaround I don't know about or are there plans in the future to fix this?. -Mark
  5. Bruce, Nice job on the writeup on M2Eclipse. I've tried it periodically over the last few months, and now that it has become more stable and mature (love that dependency graph and tree feature!), it's about time for some of my client shops to start using it. I thought, man, I'm going to have to write up a how-to-get-started doc soon. Yours is perfect. The TSS link is making the rounds at my client sites tomorrow. -Matthew McCullough
  6. This is indeed a good news for the developers who use Eclipse. I know support for maven was there in IntelliJ idea since a long time ago. But I have never use that , I like the command line tool then the UI. The problem is I do not need to block my IDE while I am building the project. Anyway there are many people who uses IDE integrated maven pluging. Deepal http://blogs.deepal.org http://blogs.deepal.org/2008/06/open-source-development-and-intellij.html
  7. If you like this, take a look at the latest m2eclipse chapter in the book http://www.sonatype.com/book/. Matthew, we've added more content about the graphing and dependency tree stuff in the 0.9.5 development version. If you want to use that you'll have to use the development URL listed in the article. Good luck.
  8. Bruce,

Nice job on the writeup on M2Eclipse. I've tried it periodically over the last few months, and now that it has become more stable and mature (love that dependency graph and tree feature!), it's about time for some of my client shops to start using it. I thought, man, I'm going to have to write up a how-to-get-started doc soon. Yours is perfect. The TSS link is making the rounds at my client sites tomorrow.

-Matthew McCullough
    Thank you for the kinda words, Matthew. Agreed, the latest dependency features are really nice.
  9. myeclipse[ Go to top ]

Has anybody any thoughts on the new maven features for MyEclipse? Is it based on either q4e or m2eclpse? Thanks
  10. MyEclipse is based on m2eclipse[ Go to top ]

I was contacted by the good folks at Genuitec and they let me know before their 6.5 release that their Maven integration is based on m2eclipse. I've subsequently talked with a couple of the Genuitec founders and I hope the Sonatype team will be able to keep helping them in the future.
  11. Indeed a great plugin[ Go to top ]

The plugin works great!! I really like the new pom.xml editor. Another alternative for Eclipse is the q4e plugin (http://code.google.com/p/q4e/).
  12. Why, why, why......[ Go to top ]

We have 2 projects (q4e, m2eclipse) working on a Eclipse Integration for Maven, were we would love to one which is beyond Version 1.0. And both projects seem to have more or less the same goals ;-/ .... Seems to me an example of the irrationality of Opensource. But anyway, although m2eclipse was first, my bet is on q4e, which is now a "official" eclipse project (http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project_summary.php?projectid=technology.iam). If i am not completly wrong, those guys even invited m2eclipse to participate.
  13. Re: Why, why, why......[ Go to top ]

Yep, I've to agree. Plus, I've used m2eclipse toghether with subclipse since the beginning but I've to admit i've migrated to q4e with subversive since m2eclipse could not handle various big projects (8 and more modules) I probably should give m2eclipse another whirl and test the latest version but q4e/subversive are playing very well for me now. Regards
  14. q4e / m2eclipse[ Go to top ]

m2eclipse and subversive are playing well together, I'm using them right now. I used m2eclipse 0.12, then switched to q4e for test and get back to m2eclipse with 0.9.2. I'm using now 0.9.4 and WTP integration is nice. Of course there is still some bugs, but the only real minus I see in m2eclipse is the lack of dependency graphic. One suggestion to m2eclipse, do more frequent release, the 0.9.5 dev build should be released since many people can't use dev release since its not in the IT politic of their company. q4e/m2eclipse, it's just another 'commercial' competition in the opensource community, like archiva/nexus. Long live to maven integration in Eclipse !
  15. Henri, the lag between when we submitted this article and when it was ultimately published was long enough to see m2eclipse add some features. If you update to 0.9.5 and use the dev URL, you'll see that the plugin has some good graphing features.
  16. graphical dependencies[ Go to top ]

Great news. Please release the 0.9.5, many developpers can't use dev plugin/tools since it break the companies IT rules. I'll take a look at this one right now
  17. Great works[ Go to top ]

the POM editor is awesome and the graphical dependency is really great and usefull (for some of our IT managers). Very good works guys and congrats for the move to eclipse.org
  18. Re: Why, why, why......[ Go to top ]

Yep, I've to agree.
    Plus, I've used m2eclipse toghether with subclipse since the beginning but I've to admit i've migrated to q4e with subversive since m2eclipse could not handle various big projects (8 and more modules)

I probably should give m2eclipse another whirl and test the latest version but q4e/subversive are playing very well for me now.

Regards
    I use m2e with projects that have over 30 modules every day. And I keep these open together in the same workspace. I suggest you upgrade and take another look.
  19. Re: Why, why, why......[ Go to top ]

We have 2 projects (q4e, m2eclipse) working on a Eclipse Integration for Maven, were we would love to one which is beyond Version 1.0. And both projects seem to have more or less the same goals ;-/ ....
    Seems to me an example of the irrationality of Opensource.
    But anyway, although m2eclipse was first, my bet is on q4e, which is now a "official" eclipse project (http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project_summary.php?projectid=technology.iam). If i am not completly wrong, those guys even invited m2eclipse to participate.
    I agree that having two projects focused on similar goals may seem odd at first glance but, as is usually the case, digging deeper will prove otherwise. For example, how is having both Jetty and Tomcat a short-coming? How is having multiple Java persistence frameworks a short-coming? Or web frameworks? Or message brokers? Or ESBs? Or databases? Or XML parsers? I could go on and on. One thing I have always liked about open source is that choice does exist. Without choice, we would wind up being locked into vendors. IMO, competition is a good thing. BTW, m2e is now an official Eclipse project as well (http://www.eclipse.org/m2e/).
  20. Re: Why, why, why......[ Go to top ]

One thing I have always liked about open source is that choice does exist. Without choice, we would wind up being locked into vendors.
    Absolutely, i would never argue that. But that's not my point. My point is, that at this moment, we do not have a desperately needed Release 1.x Maven Integration Plugin for Eclipse. q4e is 0.7 m2eclipse is - for how many years? - something around 0.9 And if you digg even a little bit deeper, you that in terms of effective and targted functionality: no big differences... We see differences in terms of design and implementation, but also there is commonality, even areas of same technology. It's only that each find their implementation decision so much better .... Also i hate the idea of switching back and forth between q4e and m2eclipse with (minor) version upgrade - which i did in the last year - only to find that somethings better, some bugs fixed, but only to miss features of the other... I have settled of IAM (q4e).... also because at least they have tried to get m2eclipse on board...... I would really like to know from each what makes them unique!??? Choice ist great, but consolidation and concentration can also be even necessary .....
  21. An interesting addendum. Here a link to the Newgroup List of IAM. An lengthy and interesting converstion basically between the Project Leads of m2eclipse and q4e, which both more or less recognize that:
    Since we both agree that two projects for the same objectives is not the best option (I'll not discuss who created the situation, since we clearly have different views)... what can we do to benefit the end user and the community?
    But somehow cannot overcome their developer ego's.......
  22. The link: http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/article.php?id=90&group=eclipse.technology.iam#90
  23. Re: Why, why, why......[ Go to top ]

And if you digg even a little bit deeper, you that in terms of effective and targted functionality: no big differences...
    Please refer to the Eclipse plugin comparison page to get an overview of the features implemented in Eclipse plugins for Maven.
  24. Re: Why, why, why......[ Go to top ]

We started with m2eclipse... switched to q4e. One reason was: more activity. I looked into m2eclipse again, because of the article. It's great what happened this year. We are reconsidering are commitment to q4e: We are thinking of going back to m2eclipse. But generally my opion still stands: in this arena one whould be better then two.Could'nt you use more resources?
  25. if it wouldn't take half day to "update maven dependencies" when added new dependency to a module, when even in fact the same dependency was used in another module of the same multi-project....
  26. Hello, the 1.2 update site of subclipse did not work for me. Replacing it by http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.4.x helps.
  27. The right direction of the new build system should be easy to use and simply the task. Does maven fit in this criteria? When people move from make to ant tool, ant tool is easy to use and simplified the build. That is the correct direction. I strongly believe maven is not replacement for ant. We are still waiting for the next generation build tool. -Hank
  28. I've tried to install it using the new Eclipse version 3.4 - Web Tools bundle. I found the following: Here are the updated URLs for Eclipse 3.4: Subclipse 1.4.2 is available (remove the Integrations option from the sub-list): http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.4.x AJDT for Eclipse 3.4 (Still development build): http://download.eclipse.org/tools/ajdt/34/dev/update Now it is installed on Eclipse 3.4
  29. I've tried to install it using the new Eclipse version 3.4 - Web Tools bundle. I found the following...
    You can find the installation instructions on the wiki at http://docs.codehaus.org/display/M2ECLIPSE/Installation+Requirements
  30. Maven tool + tomcat inside eclipse[ Go to top ]

Hi, I'm intrested to know good ways to develope with maven + eclipse + tomcat. It's very important to keep hot-replace feature of eclipse debugger. Could anyone post samples of dev process. Thanks