Discussions

News: JBoss Cache 3 Alpha Available for Download

1. The first alpha on JBoss Cache 3.0.0 - codenamed Naga - is out and available for download. It has a new Multi-Version Concurrency Control (MVCC) locking scheme that it is completely lock-free for readers, which makes it very efficient for a read-mostly system like a cache. There's more on the MVCC here. There's also a new, improved layout of the .xml configuration file, and the entire configuration has been refactored to be more readable, concise and consistent. More on that here.

Threaded Messages (17)

2. Re: codename?[ Go to top ]

Does it really need a codename for a feature that has absolutely zero chance of being ported to a non-JBoss, non-Red Hat Linux environment? I mean I understand that Naga might have been fun for the product management team to come up with, but it is kind of embarrassing to post it on TSS... I am mainly providing this post, as a way to protest the utter boredom that is TSS right now, i mean outside of the JBoss 5 debate i whipped up a few weeks back, and the small discussion on Spring Security last week, has anything come out of note?... To facilitate the protest, i am going to go back to my Apache-like-JCP disclaimer to get the new editor to get back to work this coming week, and no, Joe, am i on board all the time: "Though I would typically support this post, while feeling it is an inadequate debate, I am waiting for someone with Java experience to assist in the leadership of TSS, so that we could move to a more in-depth level of analysis than re-hashed product announcements."
  3. Re: codename?[ Go to top ]

Does it really need a codename for a feature that has absolutely zero chance of being ported to a non-JBoss, non-Red Hat Linux environment?

I mean I understand that Naga might have been fun for the product management team to come up with, but it is kind of embarrassing to post it on TSS...

I am mainly providing this post, as a way to protest the utter boredom that is TSS right now, i mean outside of the JBoss 5 debate i whipped up a few weeks back, and the small discussion on Spring Security last week, has anything come out of note?...

To facilitate the protest, i am going to go back to my Apache-like-JCP disclaimer to get the new editor to get back to work this coming week, and no, Joe, am i on board all the time:

"Though I would typically support this post, while feeling it is an inadequate debate, I am waiting for someone with Java experience to assist in the leadership of TSS, so that we could move to a more in-depth level of analysis than re-hashed product announcements."
    Probably has something to do with summer holidays. Many people are either preparing or already on holidays. And ones not going are there at least in their minds =).
  4. You wanted a debate?[ Go to top ]

Does it really need a codename for a feature that has absolutely zero chance of being ported to a non-JBoss, non-Red Hat Linux environment?
    You wanted a debate? Ok, here we go. Explain what you meant by that comment above. Do you know what JBoss Cache is? ;-) Seriously, flamebait aside: 1) JBoss Cache is written in Java. And hence platform independent. Yes, people do use it outside of Red Hat. (So quit the FUD about JBoss and Red Hat!) 2) JBoss Cache is a standalone project. And while it is used extensively in JBoss, it is also used just as extensively outside of JBoss, both as an embedded library by other frameworks as well as user code directly - even in (gasp!) other application servers! 3) And why should people care about this new release? Because - as far as I am aware - this is the only FOSS caching framework using MVCC for concurrency control. And better still, doing it in a manner that offers non-blocking reads. This is a major milestone for such frameworks and sets a new bar. I think it's innovative stuff, and that people on TSS would like to know and talk about it. Cheers, Manik
  5. I am sorry. I usually do not respond to TSS, but i think this post deserves a response. Douglas, if you really feel that the material is not up to par with your expectations, well you are welcome to contribute your own articles or papers for peer review and discussion. If you find that TSS is a bore, I do believe no one is forcing you to come over here. It is a free service provided by a group of people, and I can understand the challenges faced by anyone when they are trying to cater to a large population. If you want to, you can take the product announcements as an indication of a particular technology and perform the "indepth analysis" as you like to call it. For me, I take the product announcements as a means to know what is happening. If I find a particular product or technology interesting, I go download it, give it a whirl and assess how it could be used to improve the work of my team and the quality of the products for my customers. Even at an alpha stage, they give you ideas and new insights into way things get done. TSS is still the first website I hit up every morning and evening to catch up on news and discussions, and I do not see that changing much anytime soon. If you honestly feel that someone with Java experience is lacking in the leadership of TSS, and that you might be able to do a better job, then I would suggest taking a more proactive role versus sitting on the sidelines and complaining. Regards Jega
  6. Re: sidelines[ Go to top ]

I agree, it is far easier to take potshots from the backbench, than to actually produce content, i just am not getting paid by any Enterprise Java vendor or entity right now, so it is far more difficult to work up the courage/energy to provide some arguments, though if you check out my blog below, i do provide some perspective/antagonism to give more depth to my arguments... Product announcements are fine, and are a part of TSS, but for this org. in particular (JBoss), there are far more critical marketing materials that need to be forthcoming, and i believe i am simply pushing them a bit on a fairly neutral forum to get at it...i dont think complaints are a particularly negative perspective, as i know the editor can always bring more relevant content to the forefront... anyway, i am sure i have bored u, as i have bored myself, but i dont plan to go away, and i think i have a point to make, we shall c how JBoss responds in the coming weeks... all in all, good response, though, Jega, douglas dooley douglasdooley.blogspot.com
  7. Re: sidelines[ Go to top ]

... and i think i have a point to make, we shall c how JBoss responds in the coming weeks...
    I fail to see that point. The only thing you demonstrated in your previous post is that (1) you have no knowledge of the product you took your (irrelevant) pot shots at. (2) you seem to dislike product announcements. You did clarify the latter, but still failed to explain your comments on the non-portability of a Java based library. And, BTW, JBoss has responded. :-) - Manik Project Lead, JBoss Cache http://blog.jbosscache.org/
  8. Re: whatever[ Go to top ]

Apologies for not knowing that a cache'ing solution is written in Java, and therefore supposedly poly-platform without a hitch, and that it apparently is deployed on middleware other than JBoss and OS' other than Linux, i mean good job... It does not take away from the fact that Muzilla on down has made for months now: that the only thing that matters in JBoss land is v.5, and no you guys will not be taking "50%" of the middleware market, so i fail to see where Glassfish, WebLogic, WebSphere, NetWeaver, and .Net customers are deploying 'JBoss Cache', as you call it... I call it a feature that is necessary to have to compete with Oracle, but is hardly a product on to itself...that much i will stick with, if you want to continue to debate me on this point, i am up 4 it, i'll listen to all sorts of MVCC, fail-over, and even 'cloud' arguments, and i will still reply: it is a feature, sorry, please let me know when u have a relevant app server in the marketplace... You know, I think the tone of JBoss has lost its edge, and taken the Bill Burke route, i think it was fun and irreverent once, now it is just punkish, with people taking shots at me 4 trying to help out from afar...the major difference between me being a punk and u guys is the fact that i dont work for a major U.S. corporation, and i am not behind on a major deadline... so, get back to work, and when u have some time, come on here and explain how your "Cache" solution will help with the v. 5 launch, until then, u r wasting everyone's time picking a fight with me...
  9. wery thanks good shared simple machines forum smf.gen.tr ödüllü seo webmaster yarışmasısimple machines forum smf.gen.tr ödüllü seo webmaster yarışmasısimple machines forum smf.gen.tr ödüllü seo webmaster yarışması
  10. Re: whatever[ Go to top ]

Douglas, You seem to think that JBoss should only talk about AS and anything else is of little consequence, and because AS is behind we shouldn't be allowed to promote any of the other projects. What ever is going on with JBoss AS is **** all to do with any of the other projects. JBoss isn't just about AS and many of the sub projects run as standalone entities with little to do with AS other than assisting with integration and support. JBoss Cache, JGroups, Drools, SEAM, Hibernate, JBPM and Portal are standalone projects in their own right with their own release cycles and project announcements and of interest to people regardless of what's going on with AS. JBoss does not just support these projects on JBoss AS, for instance we support Drools on other App Servers too, so stop fudding. While you might not think that JBoss Cache is interesting and as such shouldn't appear on TSS, many others would disagree with you - particularly those from the cloud computing experience. I do agree that it would be nice to see more content along the lines of articles, but TSS has always had "latest and greatest announcements on interesting projects - especially when it's a slow news day. There are far better ways to encourage TSS to produce original content without attacking individual projects, which you don't deem worthy. Maybe a good start is for you to create your own TSS publishing guidelines, and try and get TSS to adopt it. You could probably better articulate what the problem is too. Is it that TSS aren't producing any original content, is that you don't want product announcements or only product announcements that you deem to be interesting or maybe the products have to be interesting to large enough group to warrant being published here or maybe only products that are standards or maybe it's just JBoss, and we shouldn't be allowed to announce anything else other than AS? Either way your tone just comes across as some crazy guy without a clue. Maybe you are just trolling to get traffic to your blog? Mark http://blog.athico.com/ The Drools Blog
  11. Re: "standalone"[ Go to top ]

Mark, I guess we will argue over semantics, like whether JBoss Portal would have a chance without the AS, as with this Cache thing, i was merely pointing it out that it seems that you guys need to continue to push the v.5 positioning, and not try and stir up a couple hundred thousand dollars in services contracts on ancillary projects... Why has JBoss invested so much in getting their BPM, or their fail-over system, or their rules engine to work with other app servers? probably for portability purposes, which is noble, but it is certainly not for business purposes, customers will not buy best-of-breed that far down the stack, after making an app server decision, ask Oracle... I think i will close my participation on this thread (no guarantees, though) with a theory that maybe what frustrates me ab/ the Enterprise Java community is JBoss...perhaps, i am bummed that i watched Spring take over this forum for the better part of a year, while JBoss was "re-factoring" their way to a new platform, maybe what i want is some more of this coordinated effort by the JBoss employee base, to demonstrate how this market was built, and to get aggressive about it, like your revenue stream depends on it...i really could care less ab/ whether u think i am off on the analysis, at least u know now that releasing something other than what the community is waiting 4 means a little razzing over its relevance... in short, i am not the one with a budget to write a whitepaper, that we could discuss, u guys are, get to it...
  12. Re: "standalone"[ Go to top ]

"i was merely pointing it out that it seems that you guys need to continue to push the v.5 positioning" You don't seem to understand how JBoss works. JBoss isn't just AS it's a federation of community projects, many of which existed and had communities prior to joining JBoss - Drools, JGroups, Hibernate and jBPM are all federated projects. These projects all have their own open source communities, totally independent of AS, and it's important for these federated projects to retain their open source roots. For each project the lead works independently and it's their job to evangelize their project and grow their community. That's why you have leads for these projects posting announcements on TSS and other places, they are doing their job of evangelise and serving their communities, just as they would have done before joining JBoss. This is a good thing. Without our communities JBoss would have no Open Source soul, and would be OSS in just the license but not in how it executes. Keeping the OSS soul is one of JBoss differentiating factors and key to our success and important to many of the developers at JBoss. "Why has JBoss invested so much in getting their BPM, or their fail-over system, or their rules engine to work with other app servers?" It drives income and adoption. Drools has a large customers of non JBoss AS users, that warrants us supporting other App Servers. It also provides a hook into other JBoss products, if we can provide better integration with them so it helps drives adoption of our product portfolio. "maybe what i want is some more of this coordinated effort by the JBoss employee base, to demonstrate how this market was built, and to get aggressive about it, like your revenue stream depends on it..." You are confusing the role of a project lead in one of the federated projects, to the AS team. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing on your points about AS itself, I believe these are irrelevant for this discussion - save that one for a discussion on AS itself.
  13. Re: rules and v.5[ Go to top ]

Mark, Certainly u have more information on the relevance of Drools to JBoss AS v.5, and that is what i was requesting, not some positioning on its relevance to other app servers, of which u probably picked up i am dubious of...its a good strategy to bait-and-switch, and provide portability, and engage the community on multiple platforms, but it certainly does not overcome the mandate to get it to primarily work with JBoss AS... Its like u guys are running from it, and i know this is inflammatory and not true to a large extent, but the messaging is devoid of any reference to the upcoming release of the AS...if u looked at my blog, i have made some statements about Sun's hardware business that will not be popular in Santa Clara (perhaps welcomed on the Linux side of Raleigh), and now i have made myself a pariah to the JBoss team, i do feel the pinch of border-line regret on this... But it seems to be the only way to communicate with you guys, in other words i am using TSS to suggest how to get this thing we call JBoss going again, and i take Rich's suggestion to get involved in the user forum's with some consideration, though i am not a customer or really a user, so i use this forum to state what comes to mind... My reference point is badly wanting, and thinking that i ultimately benefit from, a joint-JBoss and Glassfish initiative to keep JEE going, with all its moving pieces: rules, BPM, EJB, etc...i just have suggested some ways to clean things up as we all prepare for the AS 5 to come out...i am not a Wall St. analyst, though they have to be wondering about deliverables... So, while the posts u guys made late last week are useful for some users of these 'products', they do not address the larger objective of keeping JBoss broadly relevant...that is sincerely my only objective, and i know it comes across as seeming that i am wishing for the opposite, but i will give u my word that i am just looking 4ward to the coordination that come along with a major launch; drools inlcuded... thats my perspective, i hope u guys dont write me off as a supporter, i am here to help maintain Enterprise Java, and think that JBoss is critical to that effort, that is all...
  14. Re: rules and v.5[ Go to top ]

Ok now we are getting somewhere, in reality your conversation is out of scope for this article I think and a continuation of the AS5 TSS article which was debated in depth - which is the correct place for this type of debate. Why not start a TSS article on JBoss and it's AS if you need to air your frustrations, as here it's just noise. Whether your points are valid or not, they have less relevance to federated projects where the lead answers to his community.
  15. Re: are we?[ Go to top ]

O.k., so u have nothing to say ab/ rules and v. 5 even if it is the subject of your message, i guess patience is the ultimate virtue when it comes to JBoss... Its Not Noise...Naga may not be either, but u guys have your heads so convinced that success and perhaps victory is already established that u cant come out with simple statements, here let me help u: "JBoss Application Server 5 is the base for a multitude of Red Hat-sponsored projects that ultimately provide developers and corporate IT staff with the run-time capabilities to integrate Enterprise Java in to the web environments of thousands of customers worldwide. For example, the Drools-originated Rules engine from JBoss allows for specific and ongoing development of methodologies to target application functionality so that IT staff that utilize the JBoss Rules Engine will increase relevance to a new generation of capabilities, including but not limited to Business Process Management automation, workflow management, and component-to-component interaction." where does this statement fall-down? u can deride me for being off-topic, i can do the same, we have different perspectives, and u hold the keys, so who wins this argument? certainly not potential JBoss users, though if u truly believe that this is not your core audience, i dont know what to say... just make statements ab/ the purported relevance of AS5, and i will further understand how Drools, Cache, and other complimentary projects will make JBoss more relevant... until then, i am growing tired of taking hits from the project leads, the product management staff, the engineers, and potentially even executives at JBoss who i would characterize as all feeding the myopia of eventual success... damn, i am sick of listening to myself on this issue...
  16. Douglas, this thread is about JBoss Cache v3 and had nothing to do with JBoss AS 5 neither has it with Drools (before you brought it up). JBoss AS might profit from JBoss Cache but that doesn't change the fact that JBoss Cache is a software module in its own right with its own life and releasae cycle. This thread simply announced the availablity of a new alpha version. In our application we are using JBoss cache as a caching module not matter what application server the application is running on (Jboss, Websphere, Weblogic). So, like Mark, I can't see the relevance of this thread to JBoss AS. So JBoss AS is behind schedule? Tough, but not the business of the JBoss Cache team or Drools team etc. The majority of the developers of these modules do not work on JBoss AS. You wouldn't bash the Apache Cocoon developers for a release announcement when a new Apache Tomcat version was behind schedule, would you. Neither would you question the Apache Lucene relevance in the context of the Apache HTTP Server development. The same principle applies to the different JBoss projects...
  17. Re: are we?[ Go to top ]

The solution here is pretty obvious especially after reading TSS this week. Get Kirk in to discuss any performance problems you might currently be experiencing and discuss ways to release them.
  18. Congrats on the release! I looked through the blog and MVCC does indeed look promising. Are there any benchmarks comparing MVCC to other locking mechanisms? To counter Douglas' post, our clients have been using JBossCache as a stand alone product for ages. Most of our clients use it in combination with GridGain Affinity Load Balancing to ensure that every node is only responsible for its own subset of data. This allows for processing terabytes of data by virtually loading most of the data into cache (data grid) on multiple nodes. The product works great and we have already used this deployment multiple times. As far as TSS being "boring", I do agree that TSS is definitely less exciting than before, when people voiced their strong, and often controversial, opinions about things that matter. Perhaps the new TSS editor could spice it up a little. Best, Dmitriy Setrakyan GridGain - Grid Computing Made Simple