NetBeans IDE 6.5 Beta now available

Discussions

News: NetBeans IDE 6.5 Beta now available

1. NetBeans IDE 6.5 Beta now available (30 messages)

New features in 6.5 Beta include support for Groovy and Grails, built-in support for Hibernate, Compile/Deploy on Save, and much more. We also improved on our JavaScript Editor with the introduction of debugging support for Firefox and IE as well. Our goal with the NetBeans IDE is to provide a superior environment that reduces development time. So we'd like to encourage you to download our Beta, take it for a spin, and let us know what works or didn't. Groovy/Grails support Java * Compile/Deploy on Save * Eclipse project import and synchronization * Built-in Hibernate support * JSF CRUD Generator now Ajax-enabled * Generate RESTful web services from a database via Spring Ajax/JavaScript * Debugging support for Firefox and IE * HTTP client monitoring * Bundled popular JavaScript libraries

Threaded Messages (30)

2. I love this IDE, support for Groovy and debugging support for AJAX/Javascript should wake up Eclipse camp. Thanks SUN for your support and help for open source developers. RJ.
  3. UML support is still poor TogetherJ was much better 5 years ago!!! Unfortunately Borland seems doing all to kill it's on product. NetBeans profiler looks promising. Good Job guys! Does anybody know modules similar to eclemma,findbugs,m2eclipse for netbeans? And the last: Why Groovy?!!! Does NetBeans still unaware of AspectJ?
  4. Plugin standard[ Go to top ]

Everytime the conversation turns to Eclipse vs. Netbeans I'm reminded of an initiative out there to create a standard plugin API. I don't know what the status of this is. Seems to me that Eclipse probably doesn't want to play along, which is understandable as they have that market cornered. I could be wrong about Eclipse not wanting to participate but it's clear to see why they would not want to. I would think if Netbeans, Intellij, etc. (ie. every other Java IDE besides Eclipse) pushed this, there would be enough momentum to force everyone to play along.
  5. Re: Plugin standard[ Go to top ]

re:I would think if Netbeans, Intellij, etc. (ie. every other Java IDE besides Eclipse) pushed this, there would be enough momentum to force everyone to play along. Eclipse uses OSGi, what about others?
  6. Overall I find NetBeans 6.1 and 6.5 pretty fast and nice -- and even though I've installed practically every module under the sun it does not really seem to slow things down. I say overall as the all important (there's nothing I use more) code completion/navigation database is still too slow in cases and while it is updating it seems unable to just use the previous dataset, warn and go on. Instead it seems to ignore all the previous data it had while it updates. This gets really obnoxious on large projects. Apart from that and a lack of a first-class AspectJ module (which is becoming a huge deal), I think it is a great IDE. I do wish they'd fix the code completion/navigation performance and support AspectJ prior to chasing non-Java stuff like PHP, though.
  7. Despite the rich features list, the IDE is too buggy, and terribly slow. - I have tested it since very early versions and even contributed to it in different ways (writing tutorials, QC test, answering questions in mailing lists, creating communities for NetBeans users,participating in plugin development ...) but I myself no more use it for serious work. I have expressed my concern about huge number of open bugs at the time of releases (for NB 6.0 it was around 5000 PR1,2 and 3 open bugs, for NB 6.1 almost the same). Currently NB 6.5 has around 5400 open bugs (only PR1-3, and also 3700 additional PR4 bugs) and they will release the version with > 5000 bugs. This means every single user will in way encounter several bugs daily (out of these 9200 bugs). http://statistics.netbeans.org/dashboard/ I should also mention that a lot of bugs are filtered out of the above dashboard and the statistics does not cover all the bugs. - The platform is very heavy and slow. You can only have a single installation and if you for example install JEE, JSE, PHP and C capabilities, every time you start and use NetBeans all those modules are loaded (it is not practical to disable/enable them every time). I need to have an installation with C/C++ capabilities and another installation only for JEE but it won't allow me to install two copies. - A lot of the bugs are simply closed with "Works for me" tag. I have personally submitted a few important bugs (PR1 and 2) and some of them were closed quickly with this tag. Recently I decided to forget NetBeans for another year and take a look at it next year. I do not understand what is so different in NetBeans and Eclipse that Eclipse runs that fast (with a load of features) and with NetBeans I should struggle on my Quad-Core PC with 2G of RAM!
  8. Despite the rich features list, the IDE is too buggy, and terribly slow.
    Which features of the IDE do you use, and have you tried 6.1 or 6.5? Major performance improvements are made each release. I found 6.0 slower than 5.5 but 6.1 and 6.5 are significantly faster.
  9. Re: NetBeans has improved a lot[ Go to top ]

Despite the rich features list, the IDE is too buggy, and terribly slow.
    Every software has bugs. NetBeans is not an exception. It looks like the problem is not in NetBeans but in your heart. It looks like you don't like NetBeans at all. You mean to say the excellent NetBeans GUI builder, the award winning Profiler, the excellent debugger, the great ant/jpa/ejb support are too buggy and you couldn't use. We use NetBeans to build all our applications and we are very productive. You mean to say we don't have brain just because we don't use eclipse? Nowadays you really cannot point at any IDE and say it is not good. Almost all IDE's have the same set of features implemented in different ways. So the choice of IDE now is highly subjective. If you don't like NetBeans and feel you are more productive with Eclipse, go ahead and use it. Don't come here and try to sabotage the good name of NetBeans. And please don't come to conclusion by trying beta versions. Beta versions are meant for testing and further refinement.
  10. Re: NetBeans has improved a lot[ Go to top ]

Every software has bugs. NetBeans is not an exception. It looks like the problem is not in NetBeans but in your heart. It looks like you don't like NetBeans at all.
    This was not in response to my message, but I'd have to take issue with this. I personally like NetBeans in general and accept that it will have bugs. There are some performance issues in NetBeans' update of its code completion and navigation data that are absolutely maddening, though. Given the absolute criticality of this functionality, this needs to be addressed and has only gotten worse lately. I'm beginning to think the NB team is distracted by other languages and features and does not have time for core Java quality assurance.
  11. 6.1 vs 6.5b on Mac[ Go to top ]

... I personally like NetBeans in general and accept that it will have bugs.

There are some performance issues in NetBeans' update of its code completion and navigation data that are absolutely maddening, though. Given the absolute criticality of this functionality, this needs to be addressed and has only gotten worse lately. I'm beginning to think the NB team is distracted by other languages and features and does not have time for core Java quality assurance.
    Less bugs is better ofcourse, but all software have them. I've been using 6.5b for a day now (with Maven plugin), and I find it more snappy and stable than 6.1, which actually was unusable for me (on Mac OSX). NPE-warnings pop up now and then, but in general it doesn't bring the entire IDE down or to a halt.
  12. Don't come here and try to sabotage the good name of NetBeans.

And please don't come to conclusion by trying beta versions. Beta versions are meant for testing and further refinement.
    You behave too professional. I cease to answer.
  13. only a single installation[ Go to top ]

You can only have a single installation and if you for example install JEE, JSE, PHP and C capabilities, every time you start and use NetBeans all those modules are loaded (it is not practical to disable/enable them every time).
    this's really bad!

14. - The platform is very heavy and slow. You can only have a single installation and if you for example install JEE, JSE, PHP and C capabilities, every time you start and use NetBeans all those modules are loaded (it is not practical to disable/enable them every time).

I need to have an installation with C/C++ capabilities and another installation only for JEE but it won't allow me to install two copies.
    Hi Siamak,
    On the contrary, you can deactive or uninstall ANY of these plugins as you desire, just go to
    Tools>Plugins>Installed
    and tick the plugin you want to deactive/uninstall and press Deactivate or Uninstall. It's even easy than Eclipse that you have to delete the plugin package from {eclipse_home}/plugins.
    It's not slow since 6.1 and on, no much difference with Eclipse. (I use Eclipse at work and Netbeans at home).
    Don't make nonsense when you don't know something, that just approves you are objective. I wonder if you have touched Netbeans recently (may be 3 years ago?).

15. - The platform is very heavy and slow. You can only have a single installation and if you for example install JEE, JSE, PHP and C capabilities, every time you start and use NetBeans all those modules are loaded (it is not practical to disable/enable them every time).

I need to have an installation with C/C++ capabilities and another installation only for JEE but it won't allow me to install two copies.
    Hi Siamak,
    On the contrary, you can deactive or uninstall ANY of these plugins as you desire, just go to
    Tools>Plugins>Installed
    and tick the plugin you want to deactive/uninstall and press Deactivate or Uninstall. It's even easy than Eclipse that you have to delete the plugin package from {eclipse_home}/plugins.
    It's not slow since 6.1 and on, no much difference with Eclipse. (I use Eclipse at work and Netbeans at home).
    Also, you can install 100 copies of Netbeans if you have a big disk, just unzip the os-independant zip package in different locations.
    Don't make nonsense when you don't know something, that just approves you are subjective. I wonder if you have touched Netbeans recently.
  16. I need to have an installation with C/C++ capabilities and another installation only for JEE but it won't allow me to install two copies.
    Did you mean the default shared user dir is same and that prevents you change settings independently? You can change netbeans_default_userdir property in {netbeans_home}/etc/netbeans.conf to point to different location.
  17. I need to have an installation with C/C++ capabilities and another installation only for JEE but it won't allow me to install two copies.

Did you mean the default shared user dir is same and that prevents you change settings independently? You can change netbeans_default_userdir property in {netbeans_home}/etc/netbeans.conf to point to different location.
    Or instead of install multiple copies, you can install ONE copy of Netbeans, and use different userdir, which is similar to Eclipse workspace, to store you personalized configuration such as opened projects, activated plugins, look and feel ..., adding a command line parameter to Netbeans shortcut or start up script, for example:
    netbeans.exe --userdir c:\netbeans-workspaces\ws1 netbeans.exe --userdir c:\netbeans-workspaces\ws2
    (Note: userdir can't be inside netbeans installation dir)
    It's quite same as Eclipse that using one installation and multiple workspaces to personalize start up Eclipses instance. But I found that as for configuring plugins, NetBeans is better than Eclipse, it allows you enable/disable plugins on ONE installation (with different user dirs), and I still can't find a solution for Eclipse that ONE installation with different plugin configurations.
  18. But I found that as for configuring plugins, NetBeans is better than Eclipse, it allows you enable/disable plugins on ONE installation (with different user dirs), and I still can't find a solution for Eclipse that ONE installation with different plugin configurations.
    Pulse is a cool new product for finding and installing Eclipse plugins and then managing multiple Eclipse plugin configurations, i.e., Eclipse profiles. With Pulse you no longer have to resort to error prone and time consuming techniques referenced by several Eclipse users in this thread such as manually manipulate plugins or copy them between multiple Eclipse installs. Download the free community edition. Pulse includes a large online catalog of free and commercial Eclipse plugins you can install as well as you can add your own in-house developed plugins. When you launch Eclipse using Pulse, you specify which of your plugin profiles to load. Pulse uses the plugin profile to dynamically configure the Eclipse runtime process to load the plugins defined by the profile. The plugins are loaded from your local plugins repository (similar to how maven repositories work). You can create an infinite number of profiles, e.g., Web Tools, Swing UI Development, ALL-IN-ONE,... Disclaimer: I work for Genuitec (creators of Pulse) on the MyEclipse dev team and we use Pulse Freelance everyday in our dev environment for managing, sharing and testing the 100's of plugins that make up the MyEclipse IDE product.
  19. Thanks, Wayne! I will try it.
  20. Wayne, Thank you for your comments. - I already know about the disable/enable feature. As I said: "(it is not practical to disable/enable them every time)". I can not enable/disable modules several times each day! - No I do not only want to separate workspaces, but also the whole installations. However if 2 worksapces allow me to select (enable/disable) separate set of modules, it will fulfill my needs. Regards, Mac
  21. Re: Multiple Installations[ Go to top ]

Wayne,

- No I do not only want to separate workspaces, but also the whole installations.
    Hi Mac, You can install multiple instance of NetBeans. I don't known if the installer let you install multiple instance, at least the zip package can. I always use the os-independent zip package, I think this is the advance of Java (better than Eclipse/SWT), one download for all OS, even though network is fast now.
    I recon that NetBeans is not perfect, so does Eclipse. Both of them have advantages. As for bugs, it seems that NetBeans team always ignore the bugs you reported (I have more than 3 request features pending for more than half year), may be Netbeans has not many resources as Eclipse team, it basically a SUN only project.
    On my opinion, Eclipse has a good design of UI (except for SWT), very well polished. But I think Eclipse is vendor friendly but not user friendly, except the basic functionality such as edit, refactoring, build, it always has half backed advanced feature. Eg. J2EE support, XML support.
    On the other hand, NetBeans has much rich features and most of them works perfectly and it user friendly - not too many vendors like as Eclipse because it has no room for them to develop their product as an IDE. But it has UGLY designed window system - too many views and not very well classified, view docking position is badly designed, using too much screen room; The status bar is blank in 90% time, why not dock the views on the main status bar instead of have a separate one? Why not using the main status bar to display the editor status? Also, the icons are unpolished, and what they are mean is not strait forward; The options is not well organized. (from 6.5 they are improving in these area) But Netbeans is based on Swing, it's os dependent (one download for all), you can choose your Look and Feel. I hope SUN and NetBeans team stop adding new feature and start polish it's existing features especially it's window system and UI. Regards, Wayne
  22. Re: Multiple Installations[ Go to top ]

Wayne,

- No I do not only want to separate workspaces, but also the whole installations.
    Hi Mac, You can install multiple instance of NetBeans. I don't known if the installer let you install multiple instance, at least the zip package can. I always use the os-independent zip package, I think this is the advance of Java (better than Eclipse/SWT), one download for all OS, even though network is fast now.
    I recon that NetBeans is not perfect, so does Eclipse. Both of them have advantages. As for bugs, it seems that NetBeans team always ignore the bugs you reported (I have more than 3 request features pending for more than half year), may be Netbeans has not many resources as Eclipse team, it basically a SUN only project.
    On my opinion, Eclipse has a good design of UI (except for SWT), very well polished. But I think Eclipse is vendor friendly but not user friendly, except the basic functionality such as edit, refactoring, build, it always has half backed advanced feature. Eg. J2EE support, XML support.
    On the other hand, NetBeans has much rich features and most of them works perfectly and it user friendly - not too many vendors like as Eclipse because it has no room for them to develop their product as an IDE. But it has UGLY designed window system - too many views and not very well classified, view docking position is badly designed, using too much screen room; The status bar is blank in 90% time, why not dock the views on the main status bar instead of have a separate one? Why not using the main status bar to display the editor status? Also, the icons are unpolished, and what they are mean is not strait forward; The options is not well organized. (from 6.5 they are improving in these area) But Netbeans is based on Swing, it's os dependent (one download for all), you can choose your Look and Feel. I hope SUN and NetBeans team stop adding new feature and start polish it's existing features especially it's window system and UI. Regards, Wayne
  23. Despite the rich features list, the IDE is too buggy, and terribly slow.

- I have tested it since very early versions and even contributed to it in different ways (writing tutorials, QC test, answering questions in mailing lists, creating communities for NetBeans users,participating in plugin development ...) but I myself no more use it for serious work.
    Maybe I don't know enough about Netbeans. To me it's a great IDE and it seems to get better with each release. But I've only been using it for 3yrs, maybe some of it's flows will become evident with time.
  24. Despite the rich features list, the IDE is too buggy, and terribly slow.

- I have tested it since very early versions and even contributed to it in different ways (writing tutorials, QC test, answering questions in mailing lists, creating communities for NetBeans users,participating in plugin development ...) but I myself no more use it for serious work.
    Maybe I don't know enough about Netbeans. To me it's a great IDE and it seems to get better with each release. But I've only been using it for 3yrs, maybe some of it's flows will become evident with time.
    I use NetBeans quite a bit. It's fast. Has been for a while now. Perhaps not quite as fast as Eclipse but it's definetly fast enough on any reasonable workstation. Also, obviously there are (documented) issues, but I rarely encounter these bugs so I think the term 'buggy' is inappropriate. The big disadvantage with Netbeans compared to Eclipse remains the lack of suitable plugins. Netbeans makes up for this to a great extent by providing tons of features out-of-the-box. Still, it would be nice to see a more vibrant plugin community. Hopefully this will happen.
  25. Congratulations to the NetBeans team. I use both Eclipse and NetBeans because I find that they both have certain features that keep me coming back. The *one* thing with NetBeans that bothers me is not being able to use the native programming fonts that I love. They just don't look good in NetBeans. Even with JDK6, antialiasing and so on, the fonts don't look as good as in Eclipse, VIM, or any other tool that uses the native fonts.
  26. Yea! Grails support[ Go to top ]

Glad to see they added Grails support, the best framework on the planet, at least in javaland. But is Netbeans support better than Intellij's? If not, then I won't switch.
  27. Still not even close to IntelliJ. IDEA's editor is the most superior editor I've ever seen in any product. The plugin set and their quality is superior as well. Ilya
  28. Still not even close to IntelliJ. IDEA's editor is the most superior editor I've ever seen in any product. The plugin set and their quality is superior as well.

Ilya
    Cheap marketing!!! I know you are working for Intellij IDEA and you are using this post to market and advertise IDEA. Tell me what great difference you have made in IDEA since version 4.x apart from making it very slow?
  29. IntelliJ is superior not only to NB6.* but also to the rest IDE's outthere. In case you failed to noticed that you are just making yourself look like a fool. BTW: what is cheap if one states the truth huh?
  30. IntelliJ is superior not only to NB6.* but also to the rest IDE's outthere. In case you failed to noticed that you are just making yourself look like a fool.

BTW: what is cheap if one states the truth huh?
    You are no different and you look like a fool by thumping about IDEA in a post that is about another IDE. I have used Intellij IDEA and I love it's code editor. But what makes me feel sad is that many IDEA users keep bashing about Eclipse/NetBeans at all the possible places. Much like photoshop users bashing gimp..!
  31. Still not usable[ Go to top ]

We make use of a lot of VM's at my company and I thought I would use the base 6.5 RC2 install as it appears to be lightweight. VM used had 512 MB ram (it is irrelevant, a good idea should be usable on conservative resources). Install, add a project with 3 source folders, but no dependency libraries yet. Task scanning renders the idea unusable permanently. Adding library dependency, doesn't update the error lists and seems to be ignored by the running task scanner. So, install Ganymede JEE (as heavy as it gets). 5 minutes later it is set up and usable, source scanned the lot. I won't deny that Netbeans has some very good parts to it, BUT if basic functionality makes it unusable then it still has a way to go.