Discussions

News: JPPF, grid computing platform for Java, releases version 1.5

1. About JPPF: JPPF is an open source Grid Computing platform written in Java that makes it easy to run applications in parallel, and speed up their execution by orders of magnitude. Write once, deploy once, execute everywhere! Changes in this version:
  2. Tasks can now be defined from existing code using annotations
  3. A new, simplified API for defining and submitting tasks was implemented
  4. These features are documented at this location
  5. The amount of logging on disconnection events from the server was reduced to a manageable level
  6. Multiple bugs were fixed that prevented the nodes from running as services.
  7. Multiple fixes were made to the JPPF screensaver. Thanks again to the JPPF community for inspiring this work. JPPF has many outstanding features:
  8. a JPPF grid can be up and running in minutes
  9. highly scalable, distributed framework for the execution of Java tasks
  10. leverages JCA 1.5 to integrate with leading J2EE application servers
  11. easy programming model that abstracts the complexity of distributed and parallel processing
  12. graphical and programmatic tools for fine-grained monitoring and administration
  13. fault-tolerance and self-repair capabilities ensure the highest level of service and reliability
  14. a set of fully documented sample applications, demonstrating the use of JPPF on real-life problems
  15. very flexible open-source licensing
  16. and more .... Try it for yourself on the JPPF.org web site.

Threaded Messages (7)

• Congratulations Laurent and team! I recently tested 1.4 and was impressed that you really can start executing Java tasks on a grid within a couple of hours. I found the API and configuration to be straightforward and spent most of the time implementing my tasks and tweaking my object model to be fully serializable -- as it should be! My only suggestion would be to add a very simple (self contained) Hello World sample with a quick start guide. Best, Dan
  • Hi Dan,
    My only suggestion would be to add a very simple (self contained) Hello World sample with a quick start guide.
    Indeed, it's so obvious that I missed it :) Thank you for suggesting this, I have registered it as a feature request: 2119427 - Add a complete "Hello World" to the documentation -Laurent
  • GridGain[ Go to top ]

How does this compare to competing frameworks, like GridGain?
  • Re: GridGain[ Go to top ]

Manik,
    How does this compare to competing frameworks, like GridGain?
    This question has already been asked a number of times, and I still find it difficult to answer without expressing a biased point of view. I invite you to read these threads, where some elements of answer were provided by folks from JPPF and GridGain: http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=50416#266617 http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=47941 All I can say is that competition is better for the end-users than no competition, and the best is that you try it for yourself. I'll certainly be interested in reading the results of such a comparison by an objective source... -Laurent
  • Grid Frameworks in general[ Go to top ]

Hi, Apologies if its a bit of a numpty question and not directly to do with JPPF, but I'm looking at Java Grid frameworks as possible replacements for an existing .NET application making use of distributed worker applications to process tasks posted to MSMQ queues. In our application the processing of a single task may result in x number of new tasks which are posted direct to the queues. Therefore all worker applications are capable of posting new tasks to the distributed application. Is it possible to do this in JPPF, or other grid frameworks, have the processing nodes act as clients and post new tasks to the grid? My reading so far makes me think that the results of a task would have to go back to the central (single?) manager that posted the original task which would then have to post the extra tasks? Hope that makes sense.
  • Re: Grid Frameworks in general[ Go to top ]

Hi. I am not sure about JPPF (I am sure Laurent will clarify), but it is definitely possible with GridGain. You can easily spawn new tasks from inside of remote jobs in synchronous or asynchronous manner. You can also configure GridGain communication and discovery to work over, say, JMS and then have jobs publish results to a JMS topic. This way any node in the grid can subscribe a listener to this JMS topic and listen to the job results. Hope this helps. Best, Dmitriy Setrakyan GridGain - Grid Computing Made Simple
  • Re: Grid Frameworks in general[ Go to top ]

Thanks for that I will investigate further.