Discussions

News: Java/Web GUI Testing: Squish's Extensibility and Integratability

1. Extensibility: When we started to create Squish, our main focus was to support all standard components of the supported GUI technologies (Qt, Swing, SWT, etc.) very well. But soon we found that in nearly every GUI application custom components are used. These are often complex and interactive controls visualizing data in some way. While basic support for all custom components can be provided out-of-the-box (and is provided that way by Squish), there is no way a GUI testing tool can know all internals (such as internal objects) of such custom controls and support that in a robust way. This made us think about extension capabilities. The first Squish edition where we offered an extension API was Squish for Web- the automted GUI testing tool for web applications. The reason for that is probably that esp. in the world of AJAX GUIs nearly all controls used are custom controls. This extension allows users to implement a few functions in JavaScript to let Squish know how to query internal information of custom AJAX controls. That way every custom AJAX control can be supported equally well as standard HTML and AJAX controls already known to Squish. Later we introduced a similar mechanism for our Squish for Java tool, which features automated testing of Java GUIs such as Swing, AWT, SWT and Eclipse RCP. Here we provide a few Java interfaces which you need to implement for your custom Java controls to allow Squish to drill down into the details of your custom controls. Since these extensions solve many problems of GUI testing, we are now introducing similar extension APIs for our Squish for Qt edition. Also our new Squish edition for testing native Windows applications, which will be part of the upcoming Squish 4.0, will be completely built on this extension mechanism even internally. Integratability: Many vendors of testing tools want to completely lock their users into their world. So they come with the complete tool set needed to automate the QA. We early realized that GUI testing is just one part of the whole QA process and also saw that most of our users already have automation systems in place for their unit testing. So they usually prefer to integrate Squish into their existing automation system instead of setting up a completely separate automation just for GUI tests. So we decided to focus on making Squish easy to integrate instead of developing our own test management solution. To allow that we provided easy-to-use command line tools to start and control Squish test runs and generate an easy-to-process XML report from any test run. This allows for easy integration. In addition we now also offer ready-made integrations for CruiseControl, Maven, Ant, Eclipse TPTP, HP Quality Center and more so Squish can be used as part of the whole test automation regardless of the tools in use. We will also release our own test management system, which we use internally, eventually. But this will be just another way to do it and not replace our integration. Rather the opposite But we will always ensure that Squish stays easy to integrate since we really think that our users should have the choice what they want to use. To end this article here are some links with further details on Squish’s extension and integration capabilities: - Squish for Web’s extension API: http://www.froglogic.com/download/book/ug-jsapi.html - Squish for Java’s extension API: http://www.froglogic.com/download/book/ug-javaextapi.html - Squish’s integration plugins:http://www.froglogic.com/download/book/addons.html

Threaded Messages (2)

2. I'm organizing a meet-up for open source test tools: Selenium, soapUI, HMTLUnit, TestMaker and others. I've been asked about Squish twice this week, so I'd like to invite any Squish users to come too! The first meet-up is in Anaheim, California next week, followed by San Francisco, Chicago, New York, and London. Here's what I have in mind: Java developers, QA testers, and IT managers are challenged to rapidly build and test Ajax, Service Oriented Architecture (SOA,) and Rich Internet Applications (RIA) in a time when schedules are short, budgets are tight, standards are few, and much of this is new technology. I have been pushing for the open source test platforms to come together in a way that delivers inexpensive, immediate value to organizations. Businesses like AMD, Ford, and The Jackson Laboratory are success stories for using open source test software as a more affordable and flexible option to the traditional test vendors. The meet-up is a free half-day Workshop to talk about what can be done with Selenium, soapUI, TestGen4Web, HTMLUnit, TestMaker and other open-source test tools. We will discuss methodology, tools, and techniques. It is ideal for developer, testers, IT managers, and CIOs/CTOs. Details for the meeting are at http://workshop.pushtotest.com. -Frank
  3. Ajax extensibility[ Go to top ]

Hi Squishistas! Can you give an example of extensibility for Ajax applications? I have experience using Selenium and TestGen4Web to test Ajax applications. A lot of times I find that I need to write custom JavaScript functions to synchronize my test with the Ajax application. For instance, when an Ajax widget takes a long time to update itself in a browser display the test needs to wait for the widget to finish updating. How does Squish handle Ajax events? -Frank P.S. - +1 to ban forcing words into adjectives: extensibility, integratability, marketability, frankability, etc. :-)