MyEclipse incorporates Maven

Discussions

News: MyEclipse incorporates Maven

1. MyEclipse incorporates Maven (15 messages)

Genuitec has just released Milestone (beta) 2 of MyEclipse 7.0 and included is the customer-demanded full implementation of Maven.

With Milestone 2, users have the choice to utilize Maven in the flavor they prefer - in its "raw" format, or as a fully integrated solution in Maven4MyEclipse. A screenshot of this can be found here.

Other upgrades available in the 7.0 M2 release include initial support for UML2, enhancements to JPA, JSF, ICEfaces and general performance upgrades.

The general availability (stable) release of MyEclipse 7.0 is currently slated for mid-October.

Threaded Messages (15)

2. Please don't do that!!![ Go to top ]

Here at Neoris everybody loves MyEclipse, but nobody likes Maven!! What are we going to do? hahahahaha
  3. Re: Please don't do that!!![ Go to top ]

Here at Neoris everybody loves MyEclipse, but nobody likes Maven!!

What are we going to do?

hahahahaha
    Owned
  4. Re: Please don't do that!!![ Go to top ]

What are we going to do?

hahahahaha

Lautaro,
    Your comment made me smile, as it is the very reason we have delivered MyEclipse with the option to use Maven or not as part of your projects. You should see no difference in how MyEclipse performs for you, should you choose not to use it.

Thanks for the note,
    Jens
    MyEclipse
  5. Well...[ Go to top ]

What are we going to do?

hahahahaha
    My advice is to learn Maven first. I've never met anyone that took the time to learn it who doesn't like the support for dependency management across development teams. Having said that, yes, I'm having a nasty time getting an exploded EAR out of Maven. Who would have thunk that a build tool should support developers? Crazy talk... lol Congrats to MyEclipse guys. Hurry up on that release! I want to use it.
  6. Re: Well...[ Go to top ]

What are we going to do?

hahahahaha

My advice is to learn Maven first. I've never met anyone that took the time to learn it who doesn't like the support for dependency management across development teams.

Having said that, yes, I'm having a nasty time getting an exploded EAR out of Maven. Who would have thunk that a build tool should support developers? Crazy talk... lol

Congrats to MyEclipse guys. Hurry up on that release! I want to use it.
    that's a load of BS if I've ever heard it. I know plenty of people who took time to learn maven and still don't like it. maven works for some people, but not for everyone. especially complex environments that aren't simple webapps.
  7. Re: Well...[ Go to top ]

That's BS as well. Maven works well for complex environments as well. I've used it many times for apps that were quite complex and were not simple web apps. The question is if you already have a pretty disorganized project build which was supported by the ant "scripting language", then migrating to maven might not be trivial. If you start a maven project from scratch, unless you require integration with proprietary systems, it's pretty straight forward.
  8. Re: Well...[ Go to top ]

That's BS as well. Maven works well for complex environments as well. I've used it many times for apps that were quite complex and were not simple web apps. The question is if you already have a pretty disorganized project build which was supported by the ant "scripting language", then migrating to maven might not be trivial. If you start a maven project from scratch, unless you require integration with proprietary systems, it's pretty straight forward.
    I'll clarify what I mean by complex. An environment where there's other build systems, other products, complex integration, established conventions used by other systems and established procedures, which a build system must integrate with. That is not the strong point of maven. I agree that if you are starting a simple self-contained project from scratch maven would work fine. I don't work in those situations and complex integration and environments is the norm for me. by complex, I didn't mean the code is complex, or the design of the API is complex. complex to me is different than what you call complex. I agree that maven can work for a project with complex design and several components. I don't live in that world. Even then I honestly wouldn't choose to use maven, unless it's already in use. Given a choice, I'd use ANT over maven any day.
  9. Re: Please don't do that!!![ Go to top ]

What are we going to do?

hahahahaha
    Well, here we love maven but hate MyEclipse. Rather, we hate eclipse.
  10. Re: Please don't do that!!![ Go to top ]

... but nobody likes Maven!!.
    There was not person perhaps who hated Maven more than I did ( and I still hate Maven 1 and Jelly), however as of recently I changed my opinion significantly. Maven2 is actually quite OK and some of the plugins are plain awesome. So I started to go over my reasons to hate Maven and I realize that most of them are caused not by Maven itself but by the lack of intelligent and common artifact's repository. The non-repeatability of the builds is caused in the large part by using ranges in the dependencies versions declarations and that creates dependency on repository content. There are some pieces are missing or unpolished, but I think that overall Maven 2 is quite useful and useable these days.
  11. Re: Please don't do that!!![ Go to top ]

... but nobody likes Maven!!.

There was not person perhaps who hated Maven more than I did ( and I still hate Maven 1 and Jelly), however as of recently I changed my opinion significantly.

Maven2 is actually quite OK and some of the plugins are plain awesome.
    So I started to go over my reasons to hate Maven and I realize that most of them are caused not by Maven itself but by the lack of intelligent and common artifact's repository. The non-repeatability of the builds is caused in the large part by using ranges in the dependencies versions declarations and that creates dependency on repository content.

There are some pieces are missing or unpolished, but I think that overall Maven 2 is quite useful and useable these days.
    Well you just named one of the biggest problems of maven2. Well you can nail down the problems of maven 2 down to severall small issues. a) Attaching self controlled build processes is way to hard (unless the ant integration has become easier) Whoever made the ant integration like it is described in better builds with maven, definitely was agnostic to complexity. b) There is no single repository having all, you have to go for repository shopping, we need a repository which definitely is license agnostic. Other languages have this kind of repository. Perl or Ruby are the perfect examples for this one repository covers all approach! c) Whoever made the xml without attributes definitely never had the readability in mind, maven2 definitely if it wants to stay on the xml side (I personally think XML is nice for parsing but definitely bad for hand written configurations) needs to introduce attributes to reduce on the LOCs per configuration. Maven is an okish build system but many developers feel uneasy with it due to above mentioned problems!
  12. Re: Please don't do that!!![ Go to top ]

...There is no single repository having all, you have to go for repository shopping, we need a repository which definitely is license agnostic. Other languages have this kind of repository. Perl or Ruby are the perfect examples for this one repository covers all approach!
    That is not Maven problem, that is BIG Java community problem and that makes Java worse platform to start with than RoR. That is not that big of problem for Java profy's since they can configure something like Archiva to proxy to multiple repositories and host local one.
    c) Whoever made the xml without attributes definitely never had the readability in mind, maven2 definitely if it wants to stay on the xml side (I personally think XML is nice for parsing but definitely bad for hand written configurations) needs to introduce attributes to reduce on the LOCs per configuration.
    This is not that big of an issue IMO - 1st IDE's take care of it pretty much, they provide closing tag automatically, and I am sure it is easy to enhance the Maven POM reader to understand attributes.
    Maven is an okish build system but many developers feel uneasy with it due to above mentioned problems!
    Yes, I totally on board with that! With Maven you have to stay on the beaten path, or you suffer. I did exactly that couple of day ago when I have 'simplified' settings.xml to use mirror all configuration - Maven tries to be smart and if artifact not in repo first time, then it will not check its availability for a long while. Well with mirror settings it prevented Maven from attempting to get the new snapshots I just placed in one of repos behind the Archiva mirror. VERY VERY silly and frustrating - incidents like this cause Mavan's bad rep and not without reason! PS: Archiva is the tool to use for repository management - Nexus gave 404 when I tried to get artifacts from umbrella repository even it was showing them in the tree as available - another silly silly thing that could of ruined my day if not Charles proxy :) So, I think that - Java community badly needs common artifact's repository; - Maven is useable in some niches; - Maven could be polished to be useful;
  13. Re: Please don't do that!!![ Go to top ]

I do like Maven. I think it is a good move.
  14. Re: MyEclipse incorporates Maven[ Go to top ]

Is MyEclipse still dog slow?
  15. Hate it, Love it, Know it[ Go to top ]

I have gone full circle from hating Maven (1) to loving it (Maven 2) to being neutral (I know it, but don't use/or try to use it). While I liked the improvements in Maven 2, I have come to realize the extent of Maven's drawbacks when working on heterogeneous environments. Maven's biggest flaw is that it leans too much towards having a single recommended way of doing things. Maven's goal is to provide a beaten path - recommended way first & then give some amount of flexibility; which is opposite to what a build system should be. In my view, for a build system, the goal should be to be flexible first and to propose a recommended way later. Ant, make, even shell scripts are classic examples. If your system is flexible & powerful enough, a 'recommended way' will eventually emerge. If you are starting a new project from scratch, Maven is good. In most of enterprise environments, which have umpteen number of legacy systems to maintain , the effort to make Maven work is just too great.
  16. Re: Hate it, Love it, Know it[ Go to top ]

...If you are starting a new project from scratch, Maven is good.
    This is correct.
    In most of enterprise environments, which have umpteen number of legacy systems to maintain , the effort to make Maven work is just too great.
    This is partially correct. It is correct in a sense that Maven cannot be brought as replacement for existing build system. However oftentimes corporate build systems are way to complex and hard to use for typical and trivial things like webapp. In such circumstance using Maven2 and demoing it provides inspirational examples and sometime sparks innovations :)