Discussions

News: UseMon Real-Time Agents Aid JVM Performance Tuning - a Tech Brief

1. Paul Rene Jørgensen talks about UseMon, an open-source, real-time performance monitoring agent that plugs into the JVM and provides a view into your program's flow, including asynchronous execution, with very little overhead and it can be used in production deployments. UseMon offers these features: * Usage trends profiling * Measure application response times * Dependency analysis * Clustered environment monitoring Playback time: 07'11" UseMon works with any Java version greater than 1.4, including third-party JVMs. It automatically plugs into EJBs, MDBs, and most connectors, or it can be configured to track the performance of specific components in the application. Individual agents multicast the tracking data and a parses it before inserting it into a central repository via Hibernate. While running with low processing and network overhead, UseMon has been used for monitoring real-time system behaviour in production conditions. It's been in production at Telenor, the largest telco in Norway, for quite some time under heavy performance loads. Paul Rene Jørgensen is a senior consultant at Telenor, in Norway, and has been working with large clustered enterprise platforms for the last 8 years. Paul specializes in performance monitoring, dependencies, and static code analysis. Click here if you can't see the video.

Threaded Messages (11)

2. Would be nice to know how this is different from the JDK tools: Visual VM JConsole, JStat, etc and what value UseMon provides over those tools (or if it augments those tools). I think it is okay if this tool has the same functionality as the JDK tools do, I'm just curious...
  3. How is this differnt from JAMon[ Go to top ]

Can u pls explain how this is different from JAMom and also if anyone is using this in production. Any info which makes the user comfortable to use it in production would be very helpful to the people like me... tx in advance
  4. Congratulations on a newcomer in the space of open-source monitoring! ________ MessAdmin, Java EE administration made easy
  5. Feedback[ Go to top ]

In interview release builds are mentioned. Sadly, "download" section contains some pdf documents only AFAICS. Asking for a small time-savior: has anybody installed this successfully and can confirm it's quality/stability? TIA, Przemek.
  6. Re: Feedback[ Go to top ]

In interview release builds are mentioned. Sadly, "download" section contains some pdf documents only AFAICS.
    You can get the code from the CVS repository: svn checkout http://usemon.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ usemon-read-only Cheers, Eugene You can't connect to a web site, and you aren't sure if the problem is your connection or the server... http://www.istheserverup.com
  7. Re: Feedback[ Go to top ]

We installed this tool in production at Telenor ca 7-8 months ago and gathering performance data since then. There are no performance issues whatsoever and the stability is good. We use this tool on our WebSphere 5.1.1 servers, soon upgrading to WebSphere 6.1/7.0. We use it in a rather "demanding" middleware environment which integrates around 100 applications (100 EAR files) and we heavily depend on this kind of tools. Especially when we do a component dependency analysis and refactoring. We already have tons of data collected over several months so it is rather uncomplicated to identify "dead code" which is never used in production. I need to add that our installation of UseMon is integrated with HP Diagnostics (v 6.6/7.0) - I mean UseMon instruments the code after/in addition to HP Diagnostics instrumentation. HP Diagnostics gives us an overview but is rather poor when it comes to detailed profiling. We use UseMon to fill in the gaps that we do not manage to analyze using Diagnostics. We considered several other commercial tools (e.g. Foglight/Performasure) - but most of these tools are simply too expensive in our environment, rather complex to setup and finally do not cover all our needs like e.g. dependency analysis. Leslaw
  8. Re: Feedback[ Go to top ]

Hi, Nice tool ... it looks great... Is there any installation/setup documentation ? I would like to know how to install this tool on a websphere app. server environment. Thanks ----
  9. Re: Feedback[ Go to top ]

Is there any installation/setup documentation ?

I would like to know how to install this tool on a websphere app. server environment.
    Howdy -- see above. Download the branch from Google Code and check the docs. Cheers, Eugene You can't connect to a web site, and you aren't sure if the problem is your connection or the server... http://www.istheserverup.com
  10. Re: Feedback[ Go to top ]

I'm sorry that the download section is empty. I'll make sure the files are available on Monday along with installation instructions. I believe Lopacki has addressed the performance issues, but I'll add that we worked hard on making sure UseMon would not bring down production systems. UseMon uses SoftReferences to make sure that we don't grab too much memory. We also use UDP multicast to achieve decoupling as much as possible. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.
  11. Re: Feedback[ Go to top ]

I downloaded using the SVN url given below - http://usemon.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/. Also built it using maven. Eagerly waiting for your installtion deploy instructions for the GUI / Collector / DB setup. I have tried lots of profiling tools like YourKit etc but somehow under load they dont work. If yours can handle that it will be awesome. Sriram C
  12. The Usmon distribution is now available including an install guide at http://usemon.org Sorry for the delay.