Discussions

News: JBoss ON arrives at version 2.1 and is going Open Source too

1. JBoss Operations Network has released version 2.1 of the product with many bug fixes and enhancements. This release follows the release 1.1 of Project RHQ, its open source upstream project. Most notable changes are * Support for Java 6 * Performance increases * UI wizzard for DynaGroup expressions and *ta ta ta taaa* * HA for the JBoss ON servers You can read more about those changes at http://support.rhq-project.org/display/RHQ/1.1.0+Release If you already had a look at JBoss ON 2 and RHQ, you have surely also seen that RHQ does not have all the features, JBoss ON 2 has (namely monitoring and management of JBossAS was missing). This hole has now been closed by project Jopr. Jopr closes the gap between RHQ and JBoss ON 2, builts on RHQ as its infrastructure framework and serves as open source upstream for JBoss ON 2 You can learn more about Jopr at http://www.jboss.org/jopr/

Threaded Messages (16)

2. *ta ta ta taaa* ....no one interested.....Anyone still using JBoss ???
  3. Myself included and some big companies here in Greece! JBoss keeps rocking! and will rock even more in version 5! The countdown has already begun... Christos
  4. Re: countdown?...[ Go to top ]

Has it, i haven't heard a damn word from JBoss people about anything remotely related to v.5...i assumed it was going to be 2009, before anything came out... following the purported flame war that i had with them, i thought the idea of maybe talking to the community might make some sense to them, but the only thing that i vaguely remember coming out of those discussions was perhaps a "fall '08" claim for a release date... or maybe i was just extrapolating from Sacha's blog post, about "months" or something like that...i honestly can't be bothered with JBoss v.5 right now, i am too busy trying to keep up with SpringSource and Glassfish, not to mention the impending release of JEE6, to even consider worrying about JBoss' JEE5 effort... i hate to say it, but outside of the customers who have to migrate to get full EJB3 support, is anyone going to use JBoss 5?... douglas dooley douglasdooley.blogspot.com
  5. Re: countdown?...[ Go to top ]

Who needs JB5, when you have *ta ta ta taaa*?!
  6. Re: countdown?...[ Go to top ]

Sad part is, even IBM beat JBOSS in releasing a JEE5 container - lol. Websphere 7 was released last month.
  7. Re: countdown?...[ Go to top ]

Has it, i haven't heard a damn word from JBoss people about anything remotely related to v.5. .... EJB3 support, is anyone going to use JBoss 5?...

douglas dooley
    douglasdooley.blogspot.com
    Douglas, Snore... BTW, when is Fall over where you live? Cheers, sacha
  8. Re: Fall?...[ Go to top ]

sacha, i know, i know, i am trying to keep it in check, i still am pulling for you guys, i am pretty certain i will put all my vitriol to rest if you do hit a Fall release, waiting as patiently as possible, dd
  9. Re: JBoss 5[ Go to top ]

Going back to the facts, and Sacha's inherent claim that JBoss is o.k. by hitting a "Fall" release date, i have to put some additional context on this: my main grief with the JBoss model right now has less to do with the timing, even though that is completely out-of-whack, in terms of impacting the marketplace with a product that will have a tangible result on Red Hat's financial performance, which really should be JBoss' main objective, these days... however, rather my contention is with the way products are developed and understood by the market in which they are targeted; essentially, my thoughts on this are around the MRD and PRD process, for those unversed in the terminology: the Market Requirement Document (MRD) is written to describe the market opportunity. the Product Requirements Document (PRD) is written based on the MRD to reflect the features that will be engineered in to the product. i don't know who or what is controlling that process, but it would seem that it needs a re-look within JBoss management, because it would seem that the PRD is not reflecting the MRD, or else whoever wrote the MRD is smoking some seriously different pot to imagine a world where other development paradigms are worth the cost of the JEE market, that JBoss once had a strangle-hold on... i guess it will be a coordinated effort, and all the systems integrators and ISVs, still alive, will come out in support of JBoss 5, but it is tough to imagine anything at this point, catching up with Glassfish, and even checking the expansionary development of SpringSource... a lot of money is being left on the table for this quixotic pursuit of the Ruby, PHP, Python, etc... markets that i have yet to identify as even being relevant to a distinguishable set of customers...i am sure you guys have some data on this, but last time I checked a MRD and maybe even your PRD has a cost-benefit analysis associated with it, so that engineers don't miss business metrics that necessitate constrained resources mean a finite set of features... alright, i'll stop, but, this issue has a better than 1% chance of sinking all of Red Hat, and that is an incomprehensible level of risk for a publicly traded company that many thousands of customers have bet their business on... is this an extreme scenario? sure, but the longer this nonsense goes on, without much of an explanation, and cocky TSS responses in their place, one is left simply to ponder a future without JBoss, and, god forbid, without Red Hat...
  10. *ta ta ta taaa* ....no one interested.....Anyone still using JBoss ???
    Dear "AD aa" (astroturfing anyobody?), Just look at the number of JBoss download and get the answer to your question. The number of JBoss users is doing great, independently of the hype. Onward, sacha
  11. *ta ta ta taaa* ....no one interested.....Anyone still using JBoss ???

Dear "AD aa" (astroturfing anyobody?),

Just look at the number of JBoss download and get the answer to your question. The number of JBoss users is doing great, independently of the hype.

Onward,

sacha
    err.. no. Just a disatified user. and Sacha, I assume you realize that downloads do NOT mean actual users or deployments. I did download JBoss myself couple of times in this year just out check it out.
    The number of JBoss users is doing great, independently of the hype.
    So is it all hype then ?
  12. Do any of you know how JBoss ON, RHQ, and Hyperic HQ codebases relate to each other?
  13. Do any of you know how JBoss ON, RHQ, and Hyperic HQ codebases relate to each other?
    Good question. RHQ is the common (and root) codebase to both JBoss ON and Hyperic (RH as in Red Hat and HQ as in Hyperic's original product). Hyperic is interested to focus on the "breadth" of their offering, while JBoss is interested to focus on "depth". Users of this common platform can get the advantage of both breadth and depth. Cheers, sacha
  14. Somewhat interesting.[ Go to top ]

I downloaded it and tried to get it running but couldn't find any documentation on the default user to login with. The documentation is currently lacking and this is a "too little too late" effort that seems to be in response to Sun's heavily adopted glassfish platform which has had these features well over 2 years. If I can get it working we might use it to manage our legacy (jboss) systems but everything new is going on glassfish.
  15. Admin Console Default User[ Go to top ]

rhqadmin/rhqadmin is the default user.
  16. Re: Somewhat interesting.[ Go to top ]

I downloaded it and tried to get it running but couldn't find any documentation on the default user to login with. The documentation is currently lacking and this is a "too little too late" effort that seems to be in response to Sun's heavily adopted glassfish platform which has had these features well over 2 years.

If I can get it working we might use it to manage our legacy (jboss) systems but everything new is going on glassfish.
    Well, both offering have nothing in common and the fact you couldn't login proves... you couldn't compare both offering :) JBoss offering is a clusterable agent-server offering scaling to thousands of managed servers, with auto-discovery features, automatic patch provisioning directly from your Red Hat subscription, advanced monitoring features, etc. Onward, sacha
  17. I downloaded it and tried to get it running but couldn't find any documentation on the default user to login with. The documentation is currently lacking
    I've updated the install doc - but in general, I can't follow the 'documentation is lacking' argument, as we have a lot of documentation on the JBoss ON documentation pages and at the RHQ wiki.