Discussions

News: Ed Burns polls JSF user community to help add new feature in 2.0

1. Bring out your JSF Extensions In order to solve issue [121-JarOrdering https://javaserverfaces-spec-public.dev.java.net/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=121 ], EG member Alexander Smirnov from Exadel suggested the EG research the current practice of how JSF extension points are used. Ed took his idea and decided to create a wiki page to collect feedback from the community. Please help the EG fill out the table at . If you've ever written a JSF extension, or you use one, see if it's in the table, and if not, please add it. The EG will look at the table some time after next Friday, 24 October 2008, and use it to validate our design to fix issue 121.

Threaded Messages (8)

2. JSF 2.0? What for?[ Go to top ]

I can't help a lot there... After Echo2, GWT and similar frameworks, I don't see a reason for something like JSF... Maybe it works in a scenario where JSP still makes sense, where an UI designer actually writes something - and not just a mockup and a concept from where the developers can base the real application. I never worked in such a scenario, though and I'm not sure this is too common - never saw it before.
  3. Re: JSF 2.0? What for?[ Go to top ]

for simple application JSF is easier than GWT and echo2. Custom components are easier to build on GWT and echo2. I am trying to learn Flex. Is flex easy to integrate with JSF or is it best to just use JSP instead?
  4. Re: JSF 2.0? What for?[ Go to top ]

Is flex easy to integrate with JSF or is it best to just use JSP instead?
    check this article http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=JSFFlex
  5. JSP?[ Go to top ]

I can't help a lot there... After Echo2, GWT and similar frameworks, I don't see a reason for something like JSF...

Maybe it works in a scenario where JSP still makes sense, where an UI designer actually writes something - and not just a mockup and a concept from where the developers can base the real application. I never worked in such a scenario, though and I'm not sure this is too common - never saw it before.
    Uh.. why does JSP have anything to do with it? You should be using facelet not JSP with JSF. And there are existing WYSIWYG tools to build the UI where UI designers can drag and drop stuff, assuming such a setup of UI Designer-Developer ever exist..
  6. jsf = memory hog[ Go to top ]

has anyone used it for more than 5k concurent users on a t50 sun server with 32GB of ram ? the server crashes - how much ever you optimize it, tune your memory etc. we spent more money on the sun engineers and the profiling guys tryign to figure it out. ..it just doesnt work out for a busy screen. i just feel jsf is for silly 'hello world' / CRUD kind of projects. i m sure someone is out there who has spent years tuning it and finding issues etc ... but i have spent enough time as well to know its not a right tool for ui. go with flex, any ajax toolkit you want, simple jsp whatever it takes to avoid jsf. its kind of like the portal api, although portal stuff is still bit ok. That means its a no vote from me. :)
  7. Re: jsf = memory hog[ Go to top ]

has anyone used it for more than 5k concurent users on a t50 sun server with 32GB of ram ?
    the server crashes - how much ever you optimize it, tune your memory etc. we spent more money on the sun engineers and the profiling guys tryign to figure it out. ..it just doesnt work out for a busy screen.

i just feel jsf is for silly 'hello world' / CRUD kind of projects.
    i m sure someone is out there who has spent years tuning it and finding issues etc ... but i have spent enough time as well to know its not a right tool for ui.
    go with flex, any ajax toolkit you want, simple jsp whatever it takes to avoid jsf. its kind of like the portal api, although portal stuff is still bit ok.

That means its a no vote from me. :)
    I think JSF team constantly run stress tests to ensure something similar can't happen. I would like to know: which JSF implementation, version and view handler (facelets or JSP) are you using? Which component libraries (could be a component problem)?
  8. JSF weird cause of memory problems[ Go to top ]

I have tried many jsf implementations and all of them have the same big problem, they use A LOT OF MEMORY, one view can easly occupy 1 or more Mbytes of memory (cause of xml), it means that for 2-5k of concurrent users you need at least 8-12 Gbytes of memory. Sorry, but this is very stupid tecnology. I hope that in the future specifications this will be resolved.
  9. Last time i dabbled with JSF i couldn't immediatly find an easy way to add login behaviour to my jsf toy app. I gave up on jsf after i watched this presentation http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8202568827072126200&q=jsf