Embedded Jopr for JBossAS - or Jmx-console++

Discussions

News: Embedded Jopr for JBossAS - or Jmx-console++

1. Embedded Jopr for JBossAS - or Jmx-console++ (7 messages)

Did you ever use the Jmx-console in JBoss-AS and found it too technical? Did you then have a look at web-console and then decide to stick with jmx-console? Then we might have something for you: Embedded Jopr, which is released under the LGPL. As the name indicates, it is strongly related to Jopr, but meant for a single JBoss AS server. It currently runs on AS 4.2.x, but will in the future also support AS 5. Ian Springer, one of the main developers for Embedded Jopr has written a longer blog posting about Embedded Jopr. One of the nice things about Embedded Jopr is that it can use the plugins from RHQ and Jopr. This page describes download and installation.

Threaded Messages (7)

2. Thanks for improving the JBoss Admin tools. Indeed, the JBoss console is very technical and not user-friendly. I use JBoss AS for development of Seam apps, and it's not a bad AppServer. But it's very important to further improve the documentation. I would even claim, given the increasing complexity of the technologies for Enterprise development, that good documentation will be one of the most important factors in product selection. Only for geeks who do not have any interests other than sitting in front of the computer, documentation is not important.
  3. Thanks for improving the JBoss Admin tools.

Indeed, the JBoss console is very technical and not user-friendly.

I use JBoss AS for development of Seam apps, and it's not a bad AppServer. But it's very important to further improve the documentation. I would even claim, given the increasing complexity of the technologies for Enterprise development, that good documentation will be one of the most important factors in product selection. Only for geeks who do not have any interests other than sitting in front of the computer, documentation is not important.
    Ralf, Thanks for your comment. If you look at the current documentation (http://www.jboss.org/jbossas/docs/), what would you suggest we should improve? We are always looking at ways to improve our product. Onward, Sacha
  4. Sacha, compared with the old manual for JBoss 4.0, the documentation has improved a lot. I want to thank you for that. I once purchased JBoss 4.0, the official guide, written by Marc Fleury, Scott Stark and Norman Richards, as a printed book (Sams publishing, May 2005). If you are not a expert in technologies such as JMX, many sections in this book are difficult to read (understand).
  5. Addendum: I own Heiko's book on JBoss, too. Which is not very good documentation either. Nonetheless, I know it takes a lot of time and is difficult to write good books, so really I appreciate it if someone tries to write good and comprehensive documentation. When there are good books out there, I usually buy the good ones to support the authors. The more technologies the Enterprise developer has to master, the more important good documentation becomes. You cannot be an expert in every technology, this is why good documentation is so important when selecting products and frameworks.
  6. Screenshot[ Go to top ]

Ok, I have been told, that people just don't want to dive in and see Embedded Jopr in action, but want to first look at boring static screenshots :-) So we added one at http://www.jboss.org/embjopr/ for your convenience :-) But nevertheless, trying Embedded Jopr is not that hard and will be a better experience than a screenshot.
  7. Re: Screenshot[ Go to top ]

...But nevertheless, trying Embedded Jopr is not that hard and will be a better experience than a screenshot.
    well, in order to make it not "that hard" you should at least write in the install documentation that: - ejb3.deployer - jbossws.sar - jboss-aop-jdk50.deployer and other necessary stuff is needed otherwise "someone" could loose some amount of time just to start it :-) bye
  8. Re: Screenshot[ Go to top ]

well, in order to make it not "that hard" you should at least write in the install documentation that:
    - ejb3.deployer
    - jbossws.sar
    - jboss-aop-jdk50.deployer
    and other necessary stuff is needed
    The console doesn't use ejb3, webservices or aop. It's designed to run in any configuration you can deploy a Seam application into. I've updated our INSTALL.txt (http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/embjopr/trunk/INSTALL.txt) to talk about the dependency on an environment Seam apps can run in. [We're shortly going to be removing the instructions in the wiki and will just link through to this file.] If you are still having issues getting the console deployed please pop over to the forums (http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewforum&f=294) and we'll work with you to get this resolved. Thanks very much Charles