New Version of JavaGems Library

Discussions

News: New Version of JavaGems Library

1. New Version of JavaGems Library (19 messages)

Exactly three months after the first release, there is a new version of the JavaGems library. Now it provides a new logging library. This library distinguishes between the logging facility and logging severity. Even more, it allows to assign a different severity to each facility used for a logging record. Besides this original motivation, the JavaGems logging library has the following features: - Logger is an interface and several implementations with different characteristics are provided. You can choose which one is more suitable for your application. - Each logging record severity has a meaning assigned in the JavaDoc documentation. All team members of your project now can uniformly use them, without any internal rules. - Formatted messages are quoted in provided formatters. No more confusion with whitespaces at the beginning or the end of strings. - The code producing a logging record is identified by default. No more using of side effects for this. More information including an example can be found in short howto. Of course, comprehensive information are provided in the JavaDoc documentation. At the moment, only rudimentary logging handlers and logging formatters are provided now. Some others are planned and listed in our TODO file, and hopefully some might be implemented according users' feedback. [1] http://code.google.com/p/javagems/ [2] http://code.google.com/p/javagems/wiki/LoggingUsage [3] http://code.google.com/p/javagems/source/browse/trunk/TODO

Threaded Messages (19)

2. Hi I did't understand one thing[ Go to top ]

why we need another logging library when we have already mature one (ie., in the form of log4j) cheers, Martin
  3. Re: Hi I did't understand one thing[ Go to top ]

Nice, we will have one more logging library in addition to log4j, backlog and jdk14 logging.
  4. Re: Hi I did't understand one thing[ Go to top ]

This is utterly sad. When one of the 'main' features is a logging API, you're doing something very wrong. At this moment, I'd like to call upon my fellow developers to annihilate any developer seen writing a logging framework. Show no mercy and only rage to such a decision. Isn't there other topics that TSS could cover? I'm sure there is a lot going on that would be more important than this. There's a big market for items like CEP and such that would attract a new group of folks. Thank you! Best Regards
  5. Why not use Dynamic Proxy[ Go to top ]

Why not use dynamic proxy for logging instead of supporting class level, this can be done at module/application level. I have often found logging in every class results in cluttered code. Instead use dynamic proxies to log much of application level logging issues. Anyways real-time production environments will not use much of debug level logging.
  6. Re: New Version of JavaGems Library[ Go to top ]

...and if Log4J, Apache Commons, and JDK logging aren't enough...You can always wrap it with....drum roll, please..... SLF4J...
  7. I don't get it too[ Go to top ]

Why develop another set toolkit? Why not improve/extends the one already exists? unless you have a issue on the base/pattern/structure/architecture/performance. Can it be explained?
  8. Re: New Version of JavaGems Library[ Go to top ]

...and if Log4J, Apache Commons, and JDK logging aren't enough...You can always wrap it with....drum roll, please.....

SLF4J...
    One thing isn't explained though and might need some clarification: Is SLF4J going to wrap the 'JavaGems logging library' (JLL?) or is the 'JavaGems logging library' going to wrap SLF4J?
  9. Re: New Version of JavaGems Library[ Go to top ]

...and if Log4J, Apache Commons, and JDK logging aren't enough...You can always wrap it with....drum roll, please.....

SLF4J...

One thing isn't explained though and might need some clarification: Is SLF4J going to wrap the 'JavaGems logging library' (JLL?) or is the 'JavaGems logging library' going to wrap SLF4J?
    You don't understand. You wrap them all in Roma, the Meta*-Framework. Then we don't have to worry about anything at all.
  10. sorry[ Go to top ]

cant resist... Bytes4J - the universal framework - extends Roma & wraps all 0's & 1's
  11. Re: New Version of JavaGems Library[ Go to top ]

You don't understand. You wrap them all in Roma, the Meta*-Framework. Then we don't have to worry about anything at all.
    This is clearly an important design pattern that ought to be part of the aforementioned pattern-oriented framework.
  12. Re: New Version of JavaGems Library[ Go to top ]

a complete and utter waste of time and bandwidth, just like this reply :-)
  13. Useless[ Go to top ]

So if you take a look at the webpage, the purpose of the project is to reduce 3rd party libraries with *this* 3rd party lib. 3rd party lib management was too hard for him, so this guy wrote this awful heap. Granted, some of the jakarta stuff gets annoying with the runtime libs, but it's better than re-writing everything from scratch. Worked with these cowboys all the time, "don't like EJB because of the configuration files, going to write it all using sockets", morons.
  14. Re: Useless[ Go to top ]

Maybe the gems project should merge with the Java Pattern Oriented Framework I saw posted a while back, another utterly useless pile.
  15. A true gem[ Go to top ]

I was confused about this project so decided to dig into the source code. I found 4 gems: Classes for handling parsing command line args – why oh why have I been wasting my time with commons-cli when this little gem exists? A swing app to display images – the general purpose utility everyone craves. Object Filtering classes – sweet. Logging framework – Why use log4j and declare your logger in 1 line when you could use the gem and declare your logger like this: private static final LoggingEntryPoint LEP; static { final Logger logger = new SynchronousLogger(); final LoggingHandler handler = new PrintStreamLoggingHandler(System.out); logger.addHandler(handler); LEP = new LoggingEntryPoint(logger); } Come on guys – give this project some credit!
  16. JavaGems- JMate[ Go to top ]

Another project with similar goal is JMate (http://code.google.com/p/jmate/). I found some of the classes in JMate to be useful at least for File Readers and Writers when I need quick and dirty code to parse files. I am note sure where these Gems would be useful though.
  17. Re: JavaGems- JMate[ Go to top ]

I see your JMate and raise you beandiff (http://code.google.com/p/beandiff). A far superior diffing framework than what apache has.
  18. Re: New Version of JavaGems Library[ Go to top ]

Geez guys, come on, do any of you understand the concept of open-source? I'll explain it for you: Developer has an itch. Developer scratches itch. Developer releases code into the wild. People either choose to use it or not. Rinse and repeat. It's as simple as that. Busting on someone for putting some code out there is ridiculous. If you don't like his offering, more power to you, find your answer elsewhere. There's no point in tearing him down, and in fact can prove counter-productive because you may just dissuade someone from doing something that otherwise would have helped *YOU*. All because you couldn't keep your snide comments to yourself. I guess that's karma for ya. Tell you what... instead of telling this guy what he should or shouldn't do with *HIS OWN TIME*, which is stupid in the extreme, how about you get out there and create your own project that everyone instantly falls in love with. Go ahead, I'm waiting. Let's see what happens when news of your project is posted on TSS. I bet you'll be hoping people are more kind to you than you were to this guy. I'm sure you moms all put it best: if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Especially when it comes to open-source, where it's so very easy to simply ignore what you don't like, which is very much part of the point of it all.
  19. Geez guys, come on, do any of you understand the concept of open-source? I'll explain it for you:

Developer has an itch. Developer scratches itch. Developer releases code into the wild. People either choose to use it or not.
    sure, +1 to you, but why this "release" warrants a post on TSS escapes me.
  20. @Bernd Schuller: That's a whole other, and IMO valid, issue. But complaining about the quality of "news" headlines on TSS is quite a bit different than socking it to the project being reported on. I'm all for the former, that seems to me fair game, it's the later that's distasteful.