Discussions

News: Script Monkey, a Java plugin paradigm shift...

1. Script Monkey, a Java plugin paradigm shift... (8 messages)

I am pleased to announce the release of Script Monkey. It's a Java based open-source plugin/tool/framework aimed to take Java to the next level by ahieving the power & flexibilities of interpreted/dynamic languages. Currently, it is available as IntelliJ plugin. Hopefully in the near future, I like to bring in more flavors of this tool. I am not going to discuss the pros & cons of compiled vs. dynamic languages. Because, you may have already came across tons of articles discussing that. The key point which I would like to highlight in this article is how Script Monkey shifts the paradigm of Java plugin architecture. Well, we all know what plugins are. Almost, every software products whether it's browser, IDE or consumer app that is released in the market today would have some form of plugin/addon support. Plugins help the software tool to be expandable, customizable or tailorable for a niche user. Alright, let's get to the real meat of this article and discuss some underlying implementation that can help make my case. In good old days, the way we write plugins, whether it's for Eclipse, IntelliJ or Netbeans is by creating a metadata/manifest file (maybe some .xml configs) that would contain the specifics of classes(controllers,actions etc.) involved and the plugins would be coded against the Plugin API (IntelliJ has something called OpenAPI. Eclipse & Netbeans have some similar API's as well) provided by the tool. If you think abt it, there are lots of boiler plate code involved in running every plugin. Like, the code used to load, unload, assign or delegate actions to the plugins. The most important of all is that the plugin is kind off closed. If you want to perform a slight variation in what a plugin is doing, then you need to checkout it's source (if it's open-source), make changes to the code, recompile and deploy it to wherever it's supposed to go. In my opinion, one of the key reason why dynamic languages are pretty useful is because of not needing to write these kind of boiler plate code and the ability to perform lot of things during runtime. And, that is the exact same reason why Java has Scripting API & tools like Rhino, Jython, JRuby etc. are created for. With that introduction, what Script Monkey is trying to offer is, we don't need to write plugins for every small feature or functionality we are looking for. We can have one plugin, which is Script Monkey at the center and for every feature we need, we can get it done with the help of "plugin-scripts"(simple Javascript, ruby or python code) at runtime. The plugin-scripts doesn't always need to make just Plugin API call, it can also do things specific to projects we are working on, like cleaning up temp files, backing up the folder or auto checking in to CVS etc. I am not saying Script Monkey will replace every plugin we use in a tool, there may be complex features/functionalities, which is better off to be a plugin on it's own than to be plugin-scripts. Another important thing I want to stress here is, the tool we are using, whether its Eclipse, IntelliJ or Netbeans, already has millions of lines of code running inside. If the API is designed well, we should be able to exploit/invoke the methods we need at runtime. Which in other words, code re-usability in steroids :). Obviously, I didn't want to overload too much details on Script Monkey in one article. Hopefully in my future articles, I'll discuss more on other aspects of this tool as well. Like I said before, currently it is available only as IntelliJ plugin. With the help of open-source community, I have confidence that I will be able to take it to Eclipse,Netbeans etc. users as well. Thought, comments, questions?

Threaded Messages (8)

2. Sounds pretty cool[ Go to top ]

is there a link?
  3. Here are the links...[ Go to top ]

Project Homepage: http://code.google.com/p/scriptmonkey/ IntelliJ plugin homepage: http://plugins.intellij.net/plugin/?id=3674 Announcement page: http://blogs.boxysystems.com/2008/11/12/script-monkey-a-java-plugin-paradigm-shift
  4. eclipse monkey[ Go to top ]

I found the concepts quite similar to those found in eclipse monkey (i'm not sure but the project seems dead at the moment, an article is here). Is Script Monkey the IntelliJ version of Eclipse Monkey?
  5. Re: eclipse monkey[ Go to top ]

I think people who use eclipse are monkeys, need to evolve to IntelliJ
  6. Interesting...[ Go to top ]

I never knew something called eclipse monkey exist until I saw your comment. Thanks for bringing this in. Nope... Script Monkey is definitely not an IntellJ version of eclipse monkey. Script Monkey is very much being built as non-IDE specific tool. I am planning on Eclipse, Netbeans versions along with a stand-alone (swing/SWT) version as well. Obviously, it all depends on the responses from the user & how much it is feasible.
  7. Supported languages?[ Go to top ]

Do you only support Rhino? I'd like to use groovy instead
  8. in the future release[ Go to top ]

Do you only support Rhino? I'd like to use groovy instead
    Currently, it supports only JavaScript. In the future, it will support dynamic languages like Python, Ruby, Groovy as well.
  9. This is cool, I will give it a try. Chester