Discussions

News: Java + MXML + AJAX = ZK, Sun Should have Done This

1. Charles wrote an interesting article comparing Java FX and ZK. He explains why ZK outscores Java FX. ZK leverages Java at server side as runtime environment. 1.The result is a huge developer base is ready to jump in. 2.The end UI is AJAX. The result is instant browser neutral solution and everybody with a modern browser is happy. 3.It’s mobile ready. The result is future platform ready. A great selling point. 4.If don’t like MXML alike ZK XML tags, you can do ZK in Ruby, Java or JSP. "I would say Sun should use the money saved from laying off 350 people this week to acquire ZK and start over again" by Charles

Threaded Messages (14)

2. Haven't we seen this posting before? Why is it that every ZK posting has this sort of maniacal "YOU MUST USE THIS, $OTHER_TECH SUCKS" tone to it?
  3. I do agree with you Joseph. ZK's marketing is a little bit too aggressive. Definitely not the best way to succeed IMHO.
  4. Haven't we seen this posting before? Why is it that every ZK posting has this sort of maniacal "YOU MUST USE THIS, $OTHER_TECH SUCKS" tone to it?
    I agree Joseph... Carole? Do you need to peddle your wares in such an obvious fashion? Robbie Cheng seems to do a good job in posting tech threads related to ZK. Does the PR stuff add any value on TheServerSide?
  5. Haven't we seen this posting before?

Why is it that every ZK posting has this sort of maniacal "YOU MUST USE THIS, $OTHER_TECH SUCKS" tone to it?
    I definitely agree. ZK is posting ads like "Why GWT is NOT the way to go" or similar in tone. I had a look to ZK and I can say I like the approach, although I never had the chance of testing its throughput, security, etc. Personally I will take either the Flex or the JSF approach. I am not interested in a tool whose support/adoption/lifespan is unknown. Many people might dislike JSF, but at least it is backed by a large number of vendors; Flex is backed by Adobe and the large Flash-enabled browsers base makes it a fast and effective choice for many kind of websites.
  6. Yes big vendors are must[ Go to top ]

Look at the comment saying "SUN please buy ZK otherwise we will not survive another quarter" Adobe has many more solid product to sell compare to SUN. So it will stay in market with Flex as open source. I am worried about Java base thing for sometime and started the shift from GWT, JSF to Flex - ROR. Even Appcelerator.com looks good SOA in town but you can't get $$ to bring food on table, which is ultimate goal..
  7. Many people might dislike JSF, but at least it is backed by a large number of vendors;
    Do you mean "Core" JSF? because when you use something outside "standard JSF" (for instance AJAX) the interoperability promise is gone...
    Flex is backed by Adobe and the large Flash-enabled browsers base makes it a fast and effective choice for many kind of websites.
    On single vendor again and not very much Java friendly (Adobe is trying to push its own server technology too).
  8. not selling anything[ Go to top ]

If you look at the Flex 3 it has BlazeDS & Granite Data Service are open source product to connect with Java or web services. I am not selling Flex here but it is open source and very easy to connect with PHP (AMFPHP), JSP(HTTPService) & Java (Remote Object using BlazeDS or Granite) Also writing chat or simple messaging application is very easy with Flex. It is vendor lock in as Flash runtime is not open source otherwise everything else is free (apart from Flex builder cost you $250)
  9. Personally I will take either the Flex or the JSF approach. I am not interested in a tool whose support/adoption/lifespan is unknown. Many people might dislike JSF, but at least it is backed by a large number of vendors; Flex is backed by Adobe and the large Flash-enabled browsers base makes it a fast and effective choice for many kind of websites.
    Vendor support doesn't promote you anything. SUN Micro, Jboss, Red Hat, and etc are all ZK partners. The popularity of ZK is beyond your imagination. The download number of ZK framework exceeds 750,000. http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=576 ZK is open to those who would love to embrace simplicity of creating Ajax application.
  10. Navigation?[ Go to top ]

How is navigation handled with ZK? (didn't see an entry in the doc)
  11. ZK shouldn't need bashing...[ Go to top ]

I agree with you Joseph, especially because I've worked on a large project using ZK-Spring-Hibernate (we coded in java not ZUL) and I really think ZK is great. A great framework like that don't need to bash concurrents. It won't help them to do that.
  12. ZK templates[ Go to top ]

Is there a way to define templates in ZK like with facelets?
  13. I think the writer is not aware of what he is comparing here.. I am in fact developing in ZK at the moment and i think it is a very nice framework! BUT ZK vs JavaFX..? I think the right comparison should be against JSF. Serverside java koding for (mainly webapp's). I tried both and prefere ZK with java koding. (Big ZUL files is ok for prototyping only i think) JavaFX runs as an applet, desktop application or whatever, and does stuff not suitable for AJAX also. I was thinking of maybe creating serverside ZK wrappers for my client side JavaFX components! I really like what i've seen so fare for JavaFX, only waiting for better editors/designers.. -Erik
  14. How does it compare to OpenLaszlo[ Go to top ]

Not bad. Looks like OpenLaszlo minus the ability to also render to Flash. Anyone know any reason why one might choose ZK over OpenLaszlo?
  15. ZK is also Java[ Go to top ]

I could argue in many ways that JavaFX is a great tool - providing that Sun... The problem with JavaFX is not the technology but the commitment behind it. Should Sun want it, java in the browser could send flash out in oblivion before you knew it. It is stunning how Sun is always slow in materializing opportunities. On the other hand, ZK is still java and if you want to beat the drums for it, please don't stop. ZK does not need Sun to succeed and if it's well positioned as an alternative to flash, then go ahead and win people over. There are only a few things left for Sun to make java on the client a killer. But I don't trust Sun to succeed. They have other interests. For JavaFX to succeed it needs at least a great visual designer, components and resolve the low level issues that plagued swing. Sun should also buy JavaRebel so that we put the compile/run behind us.