Discussions

News: Log4j Viewer and Analysis for Faults detection

1. Log4j Viewer and Analysis for Faults detection (9 messages)

XpoLog released a new Application Logs analysis technology with features that helps to report on unique errors, terms and events. The new technology auto detect new messages and tag them to level of risk based on the event content. During testing or production, log4j events are diagnosed and monitored. Automated tasks can be activated to alert of perform actions. From http://www.xpolog.com

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Never seems to work for me[ Go to top ]

Once again XpoLog is on The Server Side, and once again I try it out. And I get the same result as last time too: it don't work. Basically I just grab the WAR file and throw it into a Tomcat, that is supposed to be supported. Firing it up I try to add some log files and get nothing but exceptions. I suppose it must work for other people. But something as simple as this don't just work, I can't really see myself wasting any more time on it... Oddly enough I am getting an adwords ad from those guys on this article, except the link don't seem to be working either (www.log-viewer.com/LogViewer). It might be a spectacular product, but it is not really building a lot of confidence that a simple war isn't working and the ads are not either ;)
  3. Contact our support[ Go to top ]

We promise it will work for you. And it is a spactacular. Maybe there is some local problem on your end that we need to address. Please contact us - go to our site and chat with one of our experts and run WebEx if needed, our team will work for you to solve this.
  4. There is a problem with this version on some XML parsing, try to use our standalone version or Tomcat 5.5 We will fix this issue in a day or two, so feel free to check it out in a few days. Sorry about that :-) Be well it is available on http://www.xpolog.com or http://www.log-viewer.com
  5. www.xpolog.net is down[ Go to top ]

FYI. Until it's back up, can't download the demo. Thanks, Andrew
  6. Quickly installed and added my logs[ Go to top ]

I used both the standalone and WAR version. It was easy and friendly and I managed to search and monitor my logs. Really cool, I am investigating it now. Found two new erros we did not know about. We are using Tomcat and Weblogic. Maybe you have a problem with Java 6 on Tomcat, try the standalone.
  7. How Much[ Go to top ]

Though it is not mentioned anywhere this appears to be a commercial product. It is yet another of those product that doesn't put any sort of pricing on their website. Before I decide to evaluate a product I check out the cost. If the price IMHO is over the top I do not go any further. If the price is absent I have to assume it is over the top. If you want your product evaluated then you need to tell me whether I will be spending tens or thousands of dollars.
  8. ...Much[ Go to top ]

There actually is pricing on the website (you have to go to "compare suite options", and then its on another tab. The problem is the pricing is kinda crazy (imho). $500-$1000 per cpu of machines that generate logs! I really feel like this is a product category that should be better served by the Open Source community. Its a very common problem, and all of the complicated parts of a solution are already open source (Lucene, Log4j file parsers, etc). Does anyone know about an open source (either free, or reasonably support-cost funded) product that fills this centralized log management and search niche?
  9. Re: ...Much[ Go to top ]

I agree totally. Charging on number of cpus of machines that generate logs is just over the top. We are a medium company, but just in our QA department we would have 5 boxes with 4 duo-core on the front-end and 5 with 12 duo-core cpu's. Do they charge on core as well? For live servers multiply the number of boxes and cpus for 3 at least. It would be around 70 cpus on qa and more than 200 on live. Will they want to charge 270.000 dollars? a 1/4 million? And this hardware configuration is probably much bigger that what I used for my calculation. Well, it's just out of question, I think I will have to continue my search for a log monitoring tool fairly priced.
    There actually is pricing on the website (you have to go to "compare suite options", and then its on another tab.

The problem is the pricing is kinda crazy (imho). $500-$1000 per cpu of machines that generate logs! I really feel like this is a product category that should be better served by the Open Source community. Its a very common problem, and all of the complicated parts of a solution are already open source (Lucene, Log4j file parsers, etc).

Does anyone know about an open source (either free, or reasonably support-cost funded) product that fills this centralized log management and search niche?
  10. Re: ...Much[ Go to top ]

I assume, as you are a serious person, you have read the note about envs with more then 5 cpu to directly contact us. That mean that if you are buying 2 cpus is one thing and if you will buy a license for a 100 its an all different issue. i think that after evaluation your find that the value for money makes sense.