Discussions

News: Track Java web application logs in Firefox

1. Track Java web application logs in Firefox (17 messages)

LogDigger is an extension for Firefox and Firebug that collects Log4j log messages related to requested application URL and shows them in Firebug. LogDigger is FREE for both personal and commercial use. More information and download at http://logdigger.com/

Threaded Messages (17)

2. Interesting tool[ Go to top ]

It is interesting tool and would be helpful during development. But while developing most of the times, one use single user mode. However it is in production where it is important to separate logs for individual users, where NDC and MDC of log4j are invaluable.
  3. Re: Interesting tool[ Go to top ]

We are aware of it. Current version of LogDigger (0.2) is not ready for production because there's no authentication mechanism implemented yet but we do plan to get there soon.
  4. Re: Interesting tool[ Go to top ]

LogDigger (0.2) is not ready for production
    So why are you there ? I don't get it ! This is NOT interesting ! No time to loose.
  5. Re: Interesting tool[ Go to top ]

LogDigger (0.2) is not ready for production

So why are you there ? I don't get it ! This is NOT interesting !

No time to loose.
    As I said it's not ready because there's no authorization mechanism built in - you still can introduce this control your self! Anyway, I believe many developers will still find it useful even on this stage of development.
  6. problem[ Go to top ]

I installed it, tested the demo app and that worked. But when I used in my app, it did not work. Do I need to replace my logging with other logstatements? Is it intended to use for logging on the server side? or on the client side?
  7. Re: problem[ Go to top ]

I installed it, tested the demo app and that worked. But when I used in my app, it did not work. Do I need to replace my logging with other logstatements? Is it intended to use for logging on the server side? or on the client side?
    LogDigger catches server side logs, at this time supporting Log4j logging framework only and relies on default logging settings (as you made a setup for your application). We plan to support custom logging configuration in the near future.
  8. I don't get it. How does LogDigger get access to the logs?
  9. I don't get it. How does LogDigger get access to the logs?
    Actually, the approach is very simple. LogDigger registers Log4j Appender implementation that uses MDC/NDC already mentioned in one of the posts above.
  10. After installing Firebug is not working, Version 2.0.0.18
  11. After installing Firebug is not working, Version 2.0.0.18
    LogDigger 0.2 was heavily tested with Firefox 3 only but of course we'll check this asap as we plan to support Firefox 2 too.
  12. old school[ Go to top ]

but of course we'll check this asap as we plan to support Firefox 2 too.
    The Mozilla Foundation is planning to end support for the Firefox 2 browser in mid-December... WTF ?
  13. Hi Martin, LogDigger looks very promising and it's nice to finally have a tool like FirePHP for Java. As LogDigger is free, I was really surprised to see that the classes are obfuscated. I'd love to use this library for real-world projects, but I'm afraid most of our customers won't want me to use closed-source software when it comes to such a security sensitive aspect like logging. May I ask you if you have considered to publish the sources under an open-source friendly license? This would be really great, as it would also allow us to hook LogDigger into our own authorization system and peek into production systems as needed. Best regards, Felix
  14. Hi Felix, We have many more ideas around LogDigger product that we'd also like to offer commercially. There's no plan to lock down current features and even more features can be expected for free. However, it was easier for us to obfuscate the source now as we can always open it (or some part of it) later. We'd like to learn about different problems/opinions that one may have deploying our products as that will help us to better define our model. You can reach me using contact form on logdigger.com so we can continue discussion there. Kind regards, Martin
  15. It is a interesting and useful during development Just as suggestion, it would be great to have if could work with cross-platform browser ( Eg. IE )
  16. Just as suggestion, it would be great to have if could work with cross-platform browser ( Eg. IE )
    At this point our focus is Firefox because extension development is much easier. We plan to support Internet Explorer also once the product gets planned feature set.
  17. The Logger always are in background, so I think the client side can not access those files from Firefox. I am very interested in how it works.
  18. Funy, the tool engages a servlet to collect log from server side. I do not like this way.