Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Server Set-up

1. Server Set-up (1 messages)

I'm using a dedicated machine to set up a small server. I know in order to connect my server, I need to type the IP address of the machine in the URL field of a browser (eg. "142.324.23.64" instead of the usual "domainname.com").

However, what do I need to do in order to set up the machine. In other words, where do I put my "index.html" file, my /cgi directory etc. in order to get the server up and running? Thanks.

Bill.

Threaded Messages (1)

2. Server Set-up[ Go to top ]

this is dependent on your server. i think we need more information about your set up. for example, in a Win32 environment, if you were running IIS, the typical location for its index.html file is c:\inetpub\wwwroot whereas for Tomcat it's c:\$TOMCAT_HOME\webapps\ROOT. On Unix/Linux and variants, the web server running is typically Apache. Apache's default location for static files (i.e. HTML, *.gif, *.jpg, ect.) is off of $APACHE_HOME/htdocs whereas its CGI-BIN directory is off of $APACHE_HOME/cgi-bin. So you see, it depends on what server you're running. However, most servers allow you to change the location of the root www directory as well as other directories.