Discussions

News: ICEfaces reached the 1,000,000 Downloads mark

1. ICEfaces reached the 1,000,000 Downloads mark (12 messages)

ICEfaces, an Ajax for Java EE framework, has reached its One-Millionth download mark. For the past 2 years, since ICEfaces was open sourced, the community has been rapidly growing and with great momentum. Additionally, the ICEfaces community now counts for over 55,000 registered Java developers responsible for thousands of enterprise applications. This recent milestone has been exciting and the best is yet to come. With upcoming capabilities to help the woodstock community migrate to ICEfaces, and so much projects happening around the globe, the ICEfaces team is full force. Learn more... http://blog.icefaces.org/blojsom/blog/ Read the Press Release: http://www.icesoft.com/corporate/press_release_12_04_1M_downloads.html
  2. Great work done by 3rd party component libraries. This also somehow gives stats on JSF usage which is good. Skinning is still what I expect to be improved, Rich Faces skin is more sexy. But still great work, Congrats. Any plan or work on Majorra 2 branch?
  3. ICEfaces 2.0 is the plan and it will bring strong support to JSF 2.0 and many more new exciting capabilities. Stay tuned, its expected to see the release in the second quarter of next year, 2009.

4. Skinning is still what I expect to be improved, Rich Faces skin is more sexy
    Plus jsf memory model skinning is required. its a hog.
  5. I'm not B. O. but i support this message. Gratz.
  6. ICEfaces vs. Richfaces[ Go to top ]

"Contention for the conversation isn’t seen when using ICEfaces since the ICEfaces framework automatically synchronizes requests from the same page to ensure that the server-side DOM remains uncorrupted." --Seam in Action The conversation timed out error (“The conversation ended, timed out or was processing another request.”) is extremely annoying in Seam apps and must be handled manually per RF/Ajax4jsf tag by the developer. I wish JBoss/Richfaces team would improve on this.
  7. What do you mean by "JSF memory model skinning", can you please clarify?
  8. What do you mean by "JSF memory model skinning", can you please clarify?
    do you know how much server RAM is taken by a page model which has jsf components. ? you will be surprised. get used to "out of memory errors"... :)
  9. How does this number come out?[ Go to top ]

I am curious how this 1,000,000 number comes out. Every Icefaces download requests registry. And, Icefaces has 55,000 registered members. That means, every member has downloaded Icefaces 20 times in the past two years!? (Icefaces has released about 10 versions in the past two years.) Am I so bad at math? BTW, GWT reached this number a couple of months ago. GWT's awareness makes the number more convinced.
  10. Re: How does this number come out?[ Go to top ]

I am curious how this 1,000,000 number comes out.
    An important point to note is that not all downloads are from registered users; for instance, a significant number of downloads occur directly through the MyEclipse Updater. Other download mechanisms include maven and the GlassFish Update Center.
  11. Re: How does this number come out?[ Go to top ]

Interesting. How do you "estimate" how many downloads from maven and these two update centers? After searching a while, I cannot find Icefaces download or add-on in GlassFish Update Center and MyClipse Updater. I really admire those who dig so hard to find Icefaces and download it:)
  12. Hi, ICEFACES is great with layout support, templating , facelet integration, easy reverse ajax/server push and mobile support. But is your nagging server timeout and connection reset problems still there? I still see lots of post on your forum until yesterday. I still prefer Richfaces and Majorra cheers ...dhrubo
  13. But is your nagging server timeout and connection reset problems still there? I still see lots of post on your forum until yesterday.
    Detecting the health of the connection is an important ICEfaces feature. In a traditional web application (without push), the server can be shut down and you won't notice that functionality is lost until you try to do something critical (such as save form post). ICEfaces allows you to notify the user immediately of such problems. The application developer can configure how aggressively ICEfaces monitors the connection health through heartbeat and timeout parameters. If you're aware of a case where connections are being lost, but the underlying TCP connection is still viable, please describe the scenario in a bug report.