Discussions

News: New Article: A Stripes 1.5 Test Drive

1. New Article: A Stripes 1.5 Test Drive (15 messages)

Stripes is a simple and powerful action-based Java web application framework. Version 1.5 has recently been released with lots of cool features. Author Frederic Daoud demonstrates how easy it is to develop a web application with Stripes by writing a simple example, where a user fills out a form to register and then logs in to access the application. Read article

Threaded Messages (15)

2. link ?
  3. Great walk through. Stripes leads the pack for light-weight web MVC frameworks. There really isn't a lot to it though.
  4. Great walk through. Stripes leads the pack for light-weight web MVC frameworks. There really isn't a lot to it though.
    Isn't a lot to it? Do you have any idea how much work there is in there to make it "lightweight"? "If I had more time I would write a shorter letter." -- Blaise Pascal Stripes main tenets are its focus, it's simplicity, and it's consistency. It relies on a few core principals to pull that off, but it's by no means easy. It's easy NOW, for others -- just follow what has been done already, heck, yank the code right out of it. But it takes a lot of work to stay out of the way in modern "do all" systems. One of Stripes best features is that it's a thick book that no one reads. It has pages of information, stacked on top of each other. It has Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced sections. But most folks don't need to read the book. They read just a few pages and find their needs met. If they read deeper, it gets a bit more involved, but there you're going after edge cases in terms of what Stripes supports. Finally, you get in to the Advanced chapters when you want to make Stripes perhaps do new things. Stripes depth, that we rarely see, is what gives it it's power. You can do a remarkable number of things with Stripes without having to "route around it". Stripes does a LOT, but as users we rarely notice and simply take it for granted. That's its gift to us.
  5. Stripes does a LOT, but as users we rarely notice and simply take it for granted. That's its gift to us.
    I think you would do well in marketing or sales dept. It'll be good to hear feedback from folks who are more balanced but I guess that'll be hard to find.
  6. It'll be good to hear feedback from folks who are more balanced but I guess that'll be hard to find.
    I am not sure what qualifies as being 'balanced' in your view. My choice of Stripes is based on practical considerations. I personally is itching to take a test drive with GWT and Grails. But the reality is that I have to switch in/out maintaining legacy codes built using Struts, Spring MVC, plain old Servlet/JSP, ASP.NET (don't ask me why), and god forsaken JSF. And I have developers of different caliber and aspirations coming and going. Stripes is a very practical choice. It is so easy to learn and so beautifully architectured that I even advised all my developers to check out Stripes to see how to do 'it' right.
  7. Wicket?[ Go to top ]

Could someone compare this with Wicket? What are the strengths/weaknesses of both compared to each other?
  8. Re: Wicket?[ Go to top ]

I think the article was about Stripes not Wicket.
  9. Re: Wicket?[ Go to top ]

Check here.
  10. Just to mention an additional resource that became available after the article was written: Stripes-Quickstart, which is an Ant script that speeds up the process of creating a new Stripes project.
  11. Re: New Article: A Stripes 1.5 Test Drive[ Go to top ]

Frederic, your book on stripes was very good. Your style and the lightweight nature of stripes is refreshing. It is my favorite mvc since lifting my head from "config-something.xml" files My only concern: as annotation-driven mvc work becomes mainstream, competition with the big mvc platforms will be tighter. I know the stripes site has been trying to distinguish itself vs. struts2. It would be nice to see comparisons with spring mvc as well. Also, with the obvious benefits of a light framework, it would be valuable to see what you don't get.
  12. Re: New Article: A Stripes 1.5 Test Drive[ Go to top ]

Thanks Frederic for this well written article. It is good to see the many new features introduced in Stripes 1.5. I have been stuck with Spring MVC for the past 1.5 years, been really missing Stripes. The tag introduced in Spring 2.0 makes it more bearable, but there is nothing like the simplicity and elegance of Stripes. I just got a new project started with Stripes 1.5. Man, I am glad to be back in Stripes land again. There are many good frameworks around (with the notable exception of JSF). Wicket for example is a solid and delightful framework that I seriously considered. But it is another programming paradigm altogether. My choice lies with Stripes because I need my team to be firmly grounded on JSP technologies so that they can switch back to maintaining old projects that are still stuck with Struts and Spring MVC.
  13. Re: New Article: A Stripes 1.5 Test Drive[ Go to top ]

but there is nothing like the simplicity and elegance of Stripes.

My choice lies with Stripes because I need my team to be firmly grounded on JSP technologies so that they can switch back to maintaining old projects that are still stuck with Struts and Spring MVC.
    ++++++1. With my 12+ years experience developing web applications and many years working with MVC frameworks like Struts, Spring, JSF etc, I think above statements hold very true. Thanks -Mahesh V. Chalil [ya right - my name itself is MVC!]
  14. -Mahesh V. Chalil [ya right - my name itself is MVC!]
    And your point being?
    With my 12+ years experience developing web applications and many years working with MVC frameworks like Struts, Spring, JSF etc, I think above statements hold very true.
    oh yeah.. as if you are some big authority.. quit your arrogance first...
  15. 404 in article's links[ Go to top ]

Source code for the article's example is broken, gives a 404
  16. Re: 404 in article's links[ Go to top ]

Until that is fixed, I've made the source code for the article's example available here.