Discussions

News: Mesir - Java EE Web Application Stack

1. Mesir - Java EE Web Application Stack (16 messages)

This is a sample 1.5+ web application that demonstrates some of the popular java based web frameworks as simple as it can be. Under the hood you can find, JSF, Facelets MyFaces Orchestra Spring Hibernate (Search, Validator) Jboss Envers CXF, JAX-WS Joda Time (with Hibernate persistency support) and also comin' up next: Reporting, Spring-security, CAS integration, ACL's and etc. There is a simple domain in the sample which, an AddressBook class has OneToMany relation on Contact class. The name mesir comes from a compound mastic that has a history over 500 years. It contains 41 different spices that gives its unique taste. Of course the aim here is not to blend 41 different frameworks :)

Threaded Messages (16)

2. Re: Mesir - JEE Web Application Stack[ Go to top ]

link?
  3. Excellent![ Go to top ]

This is an excellent primer on the basic JEE technologies. I really like the innovative use of JDK 5.0 features as well as the copious use of hibenate through out! ...I'd love to see more like this!
  4. uh oh :)[ Go to top ]

http://code.google.com/p/mesir Cheers..
  5. Good example for learners.
  6. Using these heavy, 'stainless-steel' technology on a light project for demonstration purposes is double-edged sword! You show the usage of the technology but you do you do not show the applicability and ROI of this heavy technology in the particular project. So novice developers could be thrilled to use all of these heavy weaponry on their mid-sized projects and get into the enormous amount of trouble in the integration boundaries and rough edges between these heavy beasts. Se every here and there should be a warning to check if you really need some of these technologies on your project! Joda-Time should be a no brainier (as similar API will be included in the next JDK). Spring and JSF are mostly safe bets, if you use them correctly. Hibernate is heavy, check if you really need domain model and ORM. If you already use Spring, JSF and Hibernate (beware, these three experience heaviness synergy when combined together!), then adding something like MyFaces Orchestra is unfortunately a must, for maintaining conversational state. JBoss Envers and CXF are heavy anti-tank and anti-aircraft artillery, respectively. Do not try to attack sparse guerrilla infantry or maybe submarines with it!
  7. transaction type RESOURCE_LOCAL?[ Go to top ]

Is there any particular reason why the transaction type is set to RESOURCE_LOCAL? Making it JTA (default) lets the project get deployed on glassfish. On an other note, JSF best practices still look like a horror to me (page navigation, view code generally, xml config, generated output, etc), but it's hardly your fault :)
  8. Re: Mesir - JEE Web Application Stack[ Go to top ]

Which ones of these are web frameworks? :)
  9. Re: Mesir - JEE Web Application Stack[ Go to top ]

Which ones of these are web frameworks? :)
    That being said, I am interested in usage examples of at least a few of these.
  10. @Mileta : Yup you're right about it, I agree to some of your statements. I'm stressing out that Mesir doesn't claim that it's the best stack out there for java based web apps. It was just one that I used, of course with a couple of add-ons. I am also blogging some try-outs, a la birting mesir at my blog, http://www.jroller.com/mert. I think that'll give a heads-up on the stack components to the readers. @Kristof : I haven't configured the transactionManager for JTA so that's why RESOURCE_LOCAL is there. So GF depicts and insist on that? @Mark : Seems like you're making a point? cool with that..cheers :) btw, TSS is a little bit off the stack on technology-wise? They're storing plain passwords (try the forgot password?). They don't permit to edit your msg. And this spammer guy is still around.lol..It's bad to see that he's a Turkish guy.
  11. Re: Mesir - JEE Web Application Stack[ Go to top ]

@Mark : Seems like you're making a point? cool with that..cheers :)
    I was. :) The point was that at the most 2 are web frameworks. (JSF + the corresponding technologies listed and JAX-WS)
  12. This Looks like J2EE in those old dark days[ Go to top ]

Just drag and drop a few .NET widgets onto a page and call the back end directly. A simple web app can be done in 10 minutes.
  13. Re: This Looks like J2EE in those old dark days[ Go to top ]

Just drag and drop a few .NET widgets onto a page and call the back end directly. A simple web app can be done in 10 minutes.
    Sure. But how about one not so simple? :) Been there, done that, had .Net kick me in the "family jewels".
  14. 99th "been there, done that" and counting... Not sure it helps anyone except scaring newbies away from .NET
  15. 99th "been there, done that" and counting...

Not sure it helps anyone except scaring newbies away from .NET
    I would think that is a good thing. Anyway, saying "I can do something simple with X" doesn't help at all either.
  16. Also a simple web app can be done with the maven archetypes, but I think it's not the case here.
  17. I am new[ Go to top ]

thanks for taking time to discuss this http://genuinepath.com/computinginternet/38-internet-marketing/56-stock-assault-20-pros-and-cons-is-srockassault-scam http://genuinepath.com/computinginternet/38-internet-marketing/58-forexsupremacy