Spam on TheServerSide.com

Discussions

News: Spam on TheServerSide.com

1. Spam on TheServerSide.com (28 messages)

Because TSS.com was set up as a free and open community, spammers find it easy to gain accounts and post spam messages in an automated fashion. In fact, I fully expect this post to be spammed before too long. We had the spam situation pretty much under control until about 8 weeks ago. At that time, we began to get thousands of spam messages a week. The management console we are using requires us to find, view, and delete spam messages individually. There are simply not enough hours in the day to do so now with the volume we are getting, although we keep trying. It's fair to ask what we are doing about it. As an interim solution, we will be implementing CAPTCHA, gradually over the next month, so don't be surprised if it starts popping up. I do this with a somewhat heavy heart, as it makes posting by legitimate users a bit more difficult. Over the longer term, we are re-architecting TSS.com. I don't have a definitive schedule on that yet, but one of the principle goals is to reduce the likelihood of spam. I apologize for the spam; I don't like it any more than you do, and dealing with it takes time that we could be devoting to more and better content. I hope you'll bear with us until we can implement solutions.

Threaded Messages (28)

2. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

Appreciated Peter, thanks for being prompt on that...
  3. Thanks for taking this to heart! All the SPAM is one of the reasons I've stated to ignore my RSS feeds from TSS... I couldn't read one more "very good" message from oyun oyunlar msn nickleri Varmısın Yokmusun Dekor Oyunları Giysi Giydirme Oyunları Strateji Oyunları Mario Oyunları Çocuk Oyunları
  4. I see far more of those messages than you, and there are times when I just wanted to give up. Stay with us for a while longer, please. I think it will gradually get better.
  5. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

Thanks for letting us know. That is half the battle. The only thing worse than being a mushroom is being a starving mushroom.
  6. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

Just a thought - if you cannot easily delete the account, can you just reset/change the password?
  7. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

We've tried deleting accounts and changing passwords. The accounts are re-created, maybe with small modifications, within a few days.
  8. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

The sun java forums recently implemented a community moderation system. Regular users were given the ability to block posts, lock threads and accounts. Before this, those forums had become useless because of the large number of trolling and spam and now it's much better. What constitutes being a troll here is a little less clear but maybe something like that could be considered.
  9. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

The sun java forums recently implemented a community moderation system. Regular users were given the ability to block posts, lock threads and accounts.

Before this, those forums had become useless because of the large number of trolling and spam and now it's much better. What constitutes being a troll here is a little less clear but maybe something like that could be considered.
    I would personally love to delete this user's posts (the account has been active for almost a month): http://www.theserverside.com/user/userthreads.tss?user_id=814436
  10. Neighborhood Watch[ Go to top ]

The sun java forums recently implemented a community moderation system. Regular users were given the ability to block posts, lock threads and accounts.

Before this, those forums had become useless because of the large number of trolling and spam and now it's much better. What constitutes being a troll here is a little less clear but maybe something like that could be considered.
    Exactly. The community can police itself. There is no hammer like that of a TSS regular.
  11. Re: Neighborhood Watch[ Go to top ]

Exactly. The community can police itself. There is no hammer like that of a TSS regular.
    There's also a pattern here: 1) new account 2) posts multiple times 3) has URL links If it's spam, it should be as easy as erasing the account and blacklisting the source IP (and any future account that tries to post the same URL links ;-). Peace, Cameron Purdy Oracle Coherence: Data Grid for Java, .NET and C++
  12. Re: Neighborhood Watch[ Go to top ]

What not take a page from criagslist.org. Let the community monitor it and flag things as spam? This will also help filter out crappy remarks. I also strongly recommend allowing people to submit URL's of blog entries, articles etc.. to keep a stream of information flowing. Thoughts? Best Regards, Richard L. Burton III
  13. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

As an interim solution, we will be implementing CAPTCHA, gradually over the next month, so don't be surprised if it starts popping up. I do this with a somewhat heavy heart, as it makes posting by legitimate users a bit more difficult.
    Hi Peter, I have no objections to TSS adding CAPTCHA to keep the spammers out. I would hardly call this an imposition on users if it keeps some or most of the spam out. Ian
  14. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

Peter, Thank you for your commitment to solve the spam problem. Is there anything we can do to help? -Laurent
  15. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

Perhaps if TSS could open up a bit you could get some help from some of the people that frequent the site. One of my biggest complaints about this (alright, let me have it) is that its not open enough. I guess it isn't toooo bad since I'm here now, but it could be so much better. Jin
  16. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

I agree. More power to the people! :) My suggestions are: Make a few regular commenters 'moderators' or something. Allow people to mark comments as spam and have the moderators delete those comments if they really are spam. Also, rather than trying to prevent spammers from creating accounts simply allow accounts to be marked as spammers by the moderators. Then either just ignore the comments that get posted, or have the moderators approve them. That way, they won't simply just create new accounts and you'll be able to control their activity rather than going to severe extremes to abolish them. That said, captcha should do the trick in most cases and I wouldn't mind that. Cheers, Brindy
  17. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

This is a web site dedicated to Java software development... certainly a cron job to run a Java app every few minutes to delete records from a database couldn't be too big a deal?!? :) Peter, don't sweat the CAPTCHA. I for one don't see it as much of a hassle... although, PLEASE don't choose one with the way-too-funky text that I can never seem to get right! I realize that makes it more effective, but there's got to be a balance.
  18. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

Great Idea!!!! Sohbet canlı sohbet sohpet islami sohbet sohbet muhabbet dini sohbet oyun sohbet dini sohpet almanya sohbet
  19. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

Great Idea!!!!
    Arg! You bastid! Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day I will have the pleasure of blocking you.
  20. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

It was a joke, sorry
  21. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

It was a joke, sorry
    Rope in the house of the hanged man. Guido
  22. CAPTCHA is okay for stripping out bots, provided it's done well... but why not have a user noise capability? (That's what TSS *used* to have, after all.) Why not, when users mark something as spam, have the system *learn* what spam looks like, a la SpamAssassin, or ci-bayes? This is actually one of the reasons I wrote ci-bayes in the first place, only to have TSS' dev team tell me there was no way to use it. *sigh*
  23. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

Over the longer term, we are re-architecting TSS.com
    Just out of curiosity, can you provide any details about the re-architecture? For example, are you changing to a different framework? Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere and I missed it.
  24. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

Have you tried akismet? It's very good and integration is very easy. http://akismet.com/ http://sourceforge.net/projects/akismet-java/
  25. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

Wow cool a refactor on TSS. Can't wait to see the new version of TSS.
  26. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

Why an image based captcha? Bots don't know how to add two numbers, see James Gosling's blog
  27. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

Why an image based captcha? Bots don't know how to add two numbers, see James Gosling's blog
    Yet.
  28. Re: Spam on TheServerSide.com[ Go to top ]

It would be trivially easy to write code to do so when the question is given in plain text. It might be alright if the question were given as an image.
  29. ...please turn off the system error messages as well. That is not only an invitation for hackers, it is also a bad example for Java EE developers!
    An error in the system has occurred. Please contact the system administrator if the problem persists. type: javax.servlet.jsp.el.ELException javax.servlet.jsp.el.ELException: An error occurred while getting property "creationDate" from an instance of class Class Name Removed at org.apache.commons.el.Logger.logError(Logger.java:484) at org.apache.commons.el.Logger.logError(Logger.java:588) at org.apache.commons.el.ArraySuffix.evaluate(ArraySuffix.java:318) at org.apache.commons.el.ComplexValue.evaluate(ComplexValue.java:145) at org.apache.commons.el.ExpressionEvaluatorImpl.evaluate(ExpressionEvaluatorImpl.java:263) at org.apache.commons.el.ExpressionEvaluatorImpl.evaluate(ExpressionEvaluatorImpl.java:190)