ChenilleKit Release 1.0.0

Discussions

News: ChenilleKit Release 1.0.0

1. ChenilleKit Release 1.0.0 (13 messages)

Hi all, the ChenilleKit team is pleased to announce the availability of the first release of the ChenilleKit Project. The 1.0.0 release includes all the features present in the former project T5Components from which the ChenilleKit is born plus more features not present there. Here is a comprehensive list of features available. * Core core utilities we need for some of the following modules * Access library which provide access restriction constraints to Tapestry 5 web application * Google Google based services like geocoding, distance, etc * Hibernate some utility classes and services to simplify the life with Hibernate * Hivemind a bridge from/to Apache's HiveMind to Apache's Tapestry5 * Image a simple image scaling service * LDAP simple search service against a LDAP server * Lucene indexer and searcher service based on Apache's Lucene's full text engine. * Mail simple mail service based on Apache's Commons Email * Quartz Quartz based scheduler services * Reports Jasperreports based reporting services * Scripting scripting service based on Apache's Bean Scripting Framework * Tapestry collection of components and services for your Apache's Tapestry5 Framework based applications * Template Apache's Velocity and FreeMarker based template services Every feature is available as a separate module (Tapestry5 library). If you use maven as a build project system you can access these libraries using our repository. In your pom.xml file specify the ChenilleKit repository: chenillekit http://www.chenillekit.org/mvnrepo/release false Then you are able to set dependency on ChenilleKit libraries the usual way: org.chenillekit chenillekit-quartz 1.0.0 If you're not using maven you can download the libraries from the project page: http://code.google.com/p/chenillekit/ Project and documentation site is available at: http://www.chenillekit.org This 1.0.0 release is considered beta and the ChenilleKit is following the Apache convention (the same as Tapestry5 project is doing) for software release so following releases will be voted to gain final/GA status release for 1.0 branch. The current trunk (HEAD) will follow Tapestry 5.1 while we have created branches/1.0 to succeeding 1.0.x releases which will be based on Tapestry 5.0 branch releases. Feedback is always welcome. The ChenilleKit team would like to thank Sven Homburg for providing the box and Internet connectivity fro ChenilleKit.org domain and last but not least the original code of T5Components. Happy new year to everyone!
  2. This kind of thing really pleases me ... it's been a long grind creating Tapestry 5 and setting the stage for these kind of easy and modular integrations. A significant part of Tapestry is how easy it is to divide up work according to peoples skill sets: ChenilleKit is an example of this, where its easy for people to build on Tapestry, adding features that I personally don't have (much) direct experience in, such as Quartz, Lucene, Google services, LDAP, and so forth.
  3. Re: ChenilleKit Release 1.0.0[ Go to top ]

This kind of thing really pleases me ... it's been a long grind creating Tapestry 5 and setting the stage for these kind of easy and modular integrations. A significant part of Tapestry is how easy it is to divide up work according to peoples skill sets: ChenilleKit is an example of this, where its easy for people to build on Tapestry, adding features that I personally don't have (much) direct experience in, such as Quartz, Lucene, Google services, LDAP, and so forth.
    Ok, I hope you don't make their work worthless after you release the backward incompatible Tapestry 6 in the future. I hope this project doesn't fall a victim to that craziness like you did to Spindle. You made Geoff Longman, the creator of Spindle quit Tapestry for good. Jan
  4. Re: ChenilleKit Release 1.0.0[ Go to top ]

Ok, I hope you don't make their work worthless after you release the backward incompatible Tapestry 6 in the future. I hope this project doesn't fall a victim to that craziness like you did to Spindle. You made Geoff Longman, the creator of Spindle quit Tapestry for good.
    Why do you keep insulting people that give so much to the community? It reflects very poorly on you. I've used Tapestry 3, Tapestry 4 and Tapestry 5 as well as Wicket. If something works for you, use it. If it doesn't then don't. But there is no need to keep bashing Tapestry or Howard because he made choices that you don't agree with. Tapestry 5 became a much better product because of his choices to break with the past and I am very happy about it. Howard has created a web-framework that made my work much easier and much more fun. I just downloaded and installed Chenillekit into my current project and I look forward to playing around with it. So far I have only two minor complaints about Chenillekit. 1. My project grows many megabytes because of all the dependencies that are required, which seems excessive if you only want to use a couple of components or mixins from the project. Probably a lot of those dependencies are not used run-time (like the Google dependencies and a lot of commons-libraries). I would really welcome a minimal chenillekit-tapestry distribution. 2. The documentation is still lacking in many places and has many typos. Other than that, I really like what I see so far and I'm impressed with the quality of the code.
  5. Re: ChenilleKit Release 1.0.0[ Go to top ]

Ok, I hope you don't make their work worthless after you release the backward incompatible Tapestry 6 in the future. I hope this project doesn't fall a victim to that craziness like you did to Spindle. You made Geoff Longman, the creator of Spindle quit Tapestry for good.

Why do you keep insulting people that give so much to the community? It reflects very poorly on you.
    Onno, I'm not insulting anybody. I'm just highlighting what the facts are. I don't know about the kind of projects you work on but with the projects I work on I wouldn't be able to convince my clients to throw away their current code base just because I want to use Tapestry 5 and that it's incompatible. Every serious developer should be tired of this craziness caused by Howard and his one man Tapestry project. I can't understand why people would trust him with their serious projects. Howard is destroying the OS spirit. He is a one man deciding when to break code. Maybe I'll trust him with my toy project at home but I have to think seriously about that first. I'm only the messenger, Onno. Don't persecute the messenger. Jan
  6. Re: ChenilleKit Release 1.0.0[ Go to top ]

My project grows many megabytes because of all the dependencies that are required, which seems excessive if you only want to use a couple of components or mixins from the project. Probably a lot of those dependencies are not used run-time (like the Google dependencies and a lot of commons-libraries). I would really welcome a minimal chenillekit-tapestry distribution.
    you dont need all project libs and dependencies if you only want to use the tapestry components lib
    The documentation is still lacking in many places and has many typos.

Other than that, I really like what I see so far and I'm impressed with the quality of the code.
    the typos caused by my bad english and we work on a better documentation.
  7. ... quit Spindle development because he wanted to devote time to his family and personal life, not because of any fallout with the Tapestry community: http://www.jroller.com/glongman/date/20060826 I leave with no hard feelings. I am grateful to the many people involved with Spindle and Tapestry today as well as those who have been involved in the past who have since moved on. Users, committers and especially Hugo, Christian, Brian, Fermin, and Eelco have created an environment that was stimulating and a lot of fun to work in. Special thanks go out to Howard for his support over the years and, of course, for dreaming up the bugger in the first place! John Hurst Wellington, New Zealand
  8. ... quit Spindle development because he wanted to devote time to his family and personal life, not because of any fallout with the Tapestry community
    John Hurst
    Wellington, New Zealand
    John, Of course he left to devote time to his family instead. What would you have done if after years of hard work, some lone and dictator decides to render your work worthless without listening to you? I personally think Tapestry must be dismissed from Apache because it's not doing it any good. It's only tainting it's fine name. Jan
  9. Geez Jan, You really going to far with all your BS. You said before many times you cant stand Tapestry and Howard, ok thats enough but this is getting to far. You hate Tapestry and Howard ok we read the message and please for once be done this stupidity. Now go with your solutions and erase from your brains that Tapestry and Howard exist and don't troll anymore the threads. By the way great job to Howard and Tapestry and Chenillekit for the releases.
  10. Jan, you are pathetic[ Go to top ]

This kind of thing really pleases me ... it's been a long grind creating Tapestry 5 and setting the stage for these kind of easy and modular integrations. A significant part of Tapestry is how easy it is to divide up work according to peoples skill sets: ChenilleKit is an example of this, where its easy for people to build on Tapestry, adding features that I personally don't have (much) direct experience in, such as Quartz, Lucene, Google services, LDAP, and so forth.

Jan
    You are absolutely pathetic. I totally agree with user Onno. Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut. regards ashok
  11. Hi Francis, Are you still pursuing your personal vendetta? You can better seek some help
  12. Hi Francis,

Are you still pursuing your personal vendetta?
    You can better seek some help
    Hi Martijn, Who is this "Francis Amanfo" you keep linking to me? I hope this person is a theserverside.com reader and could respond to you one day. I'm using my own name all the time hence I take full responsibility for all what I say. If you have any insult direct it to me and stop linking me to an innocent person somewhere. Jan
  13. Re: ChenilleKit Release 1.0.0[ Go to top ]

The current ChenilleKit is a first step. It certainly needs many improvements (it's not a 1.0 Release), not least with respect to the documentation. When I looked at the Hibernate example (http://www.chenillekit.org/chenillekit-hibernate/dao_sample.html) I discovered that Tapestry 5 has its own DI framework (at least no Spring dependency) but I couldn't see ChenilleKit except maybe that the GenericDAO is probably a ChenilleKit class.
  14. Re: ChenilleKit Release 1.0.0[ Go to top ]

When I looked at the Hibernate example [...] I discovered that Tapestry 5 has its own DI framework (at least no Spring dependency) but I couldn't see ChenilleKit except maybe that the GenericDAO is probably a ChenilleKit class.
    The GenericDAO class offers some generic implementations for adding, removing, getting or updating entities if I'm not mistaken. It's a convenience class basically for people who like the DAO-approach when using Hibernate. Tapestry already fully supports Hibernate, so there's not much Chenillekit needs to do in that area.