IBM releases WebSphere Application Server CE 2.1.1.1

Discussions

News: IBM releases WebSphere Application Server CE 2.1.1.1

1. WebSphere Application Server Community Edition is the IBM open source-based application server that supports the Java EE 5 and 6 standards. It's built on Apache Geronimo (*not* on WebSphere Application Server) and integrated with best-of-breed open source technology such as Apache Tomcat, Apache Axis2, and Apache MyFaces. It's Eclipse based development tooling further accelerates application development. Congratulations to Geronimo's and WASCE's development teams for a great application server. What's new? Bug fix release Support for JDK 6 and more see http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=237368&tstart=0 The detailed list of changes: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/wasce/changes/2111/CHANGES.txt

Threaded Messages (18)

2. Is anyone using Geronimo "in anger" ? I have heard of some projects that have to use it (dev on geronimo and delpoy on WAS) only because using non IBM stuff is not an option. Privately most of them admit that glassfish is much superior to CE or even WAS.
  3. Is anyone using Geronimo "in anger" ? I have heard of some projects that have to use it (dev on geronimo and delpoy on WAS) only because using non IBM stuff is not an option. Privately most of them admit that glassfish is much superior to CE or even WAS.
    Privately "who" admits that glassfish is better ? My "folks" openly admit that glassfish is not there yet and tomcat/geronimo is far better.
  4. Is anyone using Geronimo "in anger" ? I have heard of some projects that have to use it (dev on geronimo and delpoy on WAS) only because using non IBM stuff is not an option. Privately most of them admit that glassfish is much superior to CE or even WAS.

Privately "who" admits that glassfish is better ?

My "folks" openly admit that glassfish is not there yet and tomcat/geronimo is far better.
    Have you even tried glassfish ? At work I use Websfear and when compared to glassfish is simply sucks... One of our high volume/traffic systems is on glassfish and it never needed a restart wheras the earlier deployment on WAS 5-6 was a real pain for the network operation guys. Even with WAS 7 developers complain it takes a minute to start/restart test compared with few seconds for glassfish.
  5. WASCE is *not* WAS[ Go to top ]

One of our high volume/traffic systems is on glassfish and it never needed a restart wheras the earlier deployment on WAS 5-6 was a real pain for the network operation guys. Even with WAS 7 developers complain it takes a minute to start/restart test compared with few seconds for glassfish.
    WebSphere Application Server CE has nothing to do with WAS but the name. WASCE is based on Apache Geronimo.
  6. Is anyone using Geronimo "in anger" ? I have heard of some projects that have to use it (dev on geronimo and delpoy on WAS) only because using non IBM stuff is not an option. Privately most of them admit that glassfish is much superior to CE or even WAS.

My "folks" openly admit that glassfish is not there yet and tomcat/geronimo is far better.

Have you even tried glassfish ? At work I use Websfear and when compared to glassfish is simply sucks... One of our high volume/traffic systems is on glassfish and it never needed a restart wheras the earlier deployment on WAS 5-6 was a real pain for the network operation guys. Even with WAS 7 developers complain it takes a minute to start/restart test compared with few seconds for glassfish.
    Not add more jet fuel to the fire, but websphere on mainframe is even more painful than websphere on unix or windows. I've had to use a variety of versions of websphere and it's just painful. Once it's all setup, it's fine, but getting there requires a lot of patience. compared to weblogic and jboss, I would never choose websphere. unfortunately, websphere is prevalent in financial and insurance sectors. well maybe not small shops, but the big guys in those sectors use it. peter
  7. Is anyone using Geronimo "in anger" ? I have heard of some projects that have to use it (dev on geronimo and delpoy on WAS) only because using non IBM stuff is not an option. Privately most of them admit that glassfish is much superior to CE or even WAS.

Have you ever used geronimo or just simple clean fast tomcat ? :) In terms of the features of the app server - both are comparable. I tried glassfish for 1.5 years ( from EA days) and found that apache stuff in general manages things well(memory mgmt, prorietory files are easy to understand, easy hooks into web servers), has lots of good documentation on the net and is used by a lot of people. So you dont get stuck and its easy find answers on google quickly. Glassfish is a hell if you get stuck somewhere. The sun dev forums or documentation have so much crap that you get more questions from them than answers. i m sure you love glassfish and may not like my thinking (which is good), but i think you are missing the point that this new release has nothing to do with "web sphere". this is geronimo.
  8. WebSphere Application Server Community Edition is the IBM open source-based application server that supports the Java EE 5 and 6 standards.
    Jeurgen, congratulations on the release. It's not obvious which bits of Java EE 6 you currently support - couldn't find anything in the release notes. Could you elaborate ? Thanks in advance, Rich Rich Sharples JBoss, a Division of Red Hat http://blog.softwhere.org
  9. Richard, Glad to see you catch this news. WAS CE 2.1.1.1 supports JDK6 not Java EE 6. Stay tuned. Java EE 6 is our top priority. Regards, Chinhua WAS CE Product Manager
  10. Sorry for the typo, it's of course *JSE* 5 and 6. I am not affiliated to Geronimo or WASCE, just a content user. Juergen
  11. Great news for all 3 people using it!
  12. Great news for all 3 people using it!
    Good of you to produce definitive evidence to back up your intelligent statement. Someone publishes a news article for information, and all you can do is sarcasm ? What exactly have you contributed today?
  13. Great news for all 3 people using it!

Good of you to produce definitive evidence to back up your intelligent statement. Someone publishes a news article for information, and all you can do is sarcasm ? What exactly have you contributed today?
    heh, and your own contribution enriches and enlivens the conversation with a bit of spicy humour ;-) But I digress. It seems to me that the poster simply did not fully elaborate his message. I think what the poster MEANT to say was : "WebSphere is far and away the worst AS ever foisted on a gullible management community at the expense of developers and at the cost of productivity, ANY version of it deserves to die horribly, and almost everybody in the developer community recognizes that fact." Or words to that effect ... I can't be sure, because of the language barrier and our cultural differences, and for the record I should disclose that my recent consumption of massive amounts of restricted substances may have affected my complete understanding ... but I think I got the meat of it.
  14. Those who waste time hating WebSphere instead of working with it apparently have too much time on their hands. The recent versions have improved immensely, to the point where care and feeding of WebSphere in our site dropped from a few hours a week to almost none -- despite having five times as many apps running on it. I haven't used WAS CE in a while, but I look forward to downloading it and giving it a spin. The only glaring problem the last time I looked at it was the quality of the Eclipse plugin.
  15. Those who waste time hating WebSphere instead of working with it apparently have too much time on their hands.
    By no means, and under no circumstances ! Hating WebSphere requires very little time, especially when compared with with working with it, and the cost-benefit proposition is infinitely superior.
  16. Anyone who firstly use the Websphere application Server CE maybe think it is based on Webshpere Application server. But IBM plays a joke to everyone. The CE version has no relation to Websphere, it is just repacked the open source Apache Geronimo and stamped the IBM trademark.
  17. 2.1.1.1 :)[ Go to top ]

I know it's sniping, but c'mon... :) Announceing 2.1.1.1 (sub-sub-sub-release)? Something is either with versioning or editorial of TSS. Congrats otherwise, of course. Best, Nikita Ivanov. GridGain Systems - Open Cloud Platform
  18. WAS *never* give us good feeling[ Go to top ]

WAS is evil, we never and will never recommand our customers(mostly banks) to use it. If they do have paid for WAS, I told myself IBM earn the money to produce other good things like Eclipse.
  19. It's built on Apache Geronimo (*not* on WebSphere Application Server)
    Does this mean you couldn't use it as a development environment while still releasing to an enterprise edition without any compatibility surprises? This is available with IBM's DB2 family (express-C is free and 100% compatible with the other UDB editions)