Discussions

News: First release of Apache MyFaces Extensions Validator

1. The Apache MyFaces team is pleased to announce the first release of MyFaces Extensions Validator. MyFaces Extensions Validator is an easy to use and pluggable validation framework for annotation based validation. It provides advanced validation features for JSF 1.1.x and JSF 1.2.x. The project is available at: http://myfaces.apache.org/extensions/validator
  2. Respect to Seam validation, this seems more powerfull: -doesn't need any page level tag to be activated (Seam need a component around input controls or inside the input control) -"required" in Seam must be replicated at page level (they say because of JSF limitations, but why MyFaces Extensions Validator doesn't suffer of the same issue??) Anyway MyFaces (as usual) produces projects with very poor documentation (only a small wiki page is not enough for a new framework published on TSS).
  3. That's true - Apache MyFaces Extensions Validator doesn't have the restrictions of Seam. Moreover, there are a lot of advanced features you won't find in other currently available JSF validation frameworks. Concerning documentation: There are annotation examples bundled with the project. Furthermore, the wiki already covers the most important basic functionalities and it refers to some external examples (and also to some powerful extensions). Anyway, it will take some time to document the advanced features. However, if there are any questions you are welcome to ask at the MyFaces users mailing-list. The topics of frequently asked questions will also be added to the documentation.
  4. Anyway MyFaces (as usual) produces projects with very poor documentation.
    You can check the MyFaces book, I hope it can help: http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Guide-Apache-MyFaces-Facelets/dp/1590597370 If you have a specific question that needs a quick answer, please send us a mail to: users at myfaces dot apache dot org after subscription. Apache MyFaces ExtVal is one of the Apache MyFaces subprojects that really simplifies JSF validation with optional or no configuration. It is the first release, and we need your feedback to improve. You are welcome also to participate with us in the ExtVal documentation. Thank you!
  5. Anyway MyFaces (as usual) produces projects with very poor documentation (only a small wiki page is not enough for a new framework published on TSS).
    Actually this is one thing every user can lay his/her hands upon. Writing documentation admittably is somewhat boring, but it also is necessary and can be done by any user (even if it is just a wiki page) Problem with most opensource projects is, that people simply forget that it is mostly a community effort not a boxed product. So there are lots of freeriders but not even a single person outside of the developer who even wants to contribute do documentation. Sorry that I am a little bit bitter in this regards, but I have been through that with my project :-)
  6. I have some questions. 1.I want to know the compatibility when it works with standard JSF RI. 2.It provide client validation(without post to server)? JSF Comp(http://jsf-comp.sourceforge.net/)provide good client validation support. 3.Hibernate validator can affect the database schema(when we use hibernate generate database tables). How to do in Apache MyFaces Extensions Validator.
  7. @Compatibility: Information concerning the compatibility of MyFaces Extensions Validator (aka ExtVal) is available at [1] @Client-side validation: ExtVal is able to join client-side validation mechanisms of other frameworks. Currently the client-side validation of MyFaces Trinidad is supported via a separate module. ExtVal is pluggable. So you can implement adapters for (existing) 3rd party validation frameworks to re-use other implementations. It is also possible to implement a basic integration for the client-side validation of JSF Comp. A conceptual example is available at [2].
    Hibernate validator can affect the database schema(when we use hibernate generate database tables). How to do in Apache MyFaces Extensions Validator.
    ExtVal just validates user input based on annotations. The developer decides which annotations should be used. ExtVal itself doesn't change things like the database schema. [1] http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/Extensions/Validator/ [2] http://code.google.com/p/os890/source/browse/#svn/trunk/java/web/jsf/extval/examples/advanced/demo_108
  8. JSF? Is that thing still around? (Sorry, I simply can't resist an easy dig at JSF... EVER).
  9. JSF? Is that thing still around?

(Sorry, I simply can't resist an easy dig at JSF... EVER).
    Yes, still around. Many government departments and agencies use that thing. Poor tax payers!
  10. JSF? Is that thing still around?

(Sorry, I simply can't resist an easy dig at JSF... EVER).
    Another Wicket user's inferiority complex?
  11. Far from in Alberto. I long ago shed the weight of ALL these frameworks... none of them thrill me in the least, they all feel far too limiting, heavy and frankly pointless. I've been a much happier person, and a more productive developer, because of it (ok, granted I do probably more architecture and directing of others than actual coding any more, but my hands are still dirty on most days). In case anyone cares, for me it's ExtJS+DWR and POJOs using Spring JDBC. That's it, nothing more. Makes for extremely elegant solutions (although I'd have to admit solutions that aren't well-targeted to every space, but perfect for the enterprise space I play in).
  12. JSR-303?[ Go to top ]

Are there plans for the MyFaces Extensions Validator to support JSR-303 (Bean Validation)?
  13. Re: JSR-303?[ Go to top ]

@JSR 303: It is planned to start the integration after the final release of the specification is available.