RichFaces 3.3.0 release: new components and features

Discussions

News: RichFaces 3.3.0 release: new components and features

1. New Components Two new components were added to the RichFaces library with the current release, namely and . You can see the components in action on the "RichFaces live demo" ( and a4j:queue )web page. Usage and implementation, design details are available in the RichFaces Developer Guide (“Queue Principles”, “” and “ “ ) and on the Jboss.org Wiki (“rich:editor component” and “Design of RichFaces ”). The Improved Queue The component was introduced with this release. The component creates a queue of the Ajax requests. The Ajax4JSF or RichFaces components with built-in Ajax can reference the queue to optimize their Ajax requests. The improved queue provides a number of advantages and broader flexibility, i.e. it: * Eliminates the possibility of collisions when several JSF requests pass the JSF lifecycle at the same time. The queue prevents sending such requests. Only one request is processed. The rest ones are waiting. * Reduces the traffic between browser and the server. The "similar" requests came within requestDelay are absorbed. Only the last one is actually sent. Reducing the number of requests in its turn reduces the server load. The queue will help you optimize your Ajax requests traffic and reduce server load. The The component is an adaptation of TinyMCE WYSIWYG editor for JSF applications. The key features: * You don’t need to write any JavaScript code in your application to use the TinyMCE editor. You can define all TinyMCE ‘s properties via attributes and the JSF component specifying the name of the property in the “name” attribute and assigning the value with the “value” attribute. * You could only once specify all configuration parameters (you need to use the ".properties" file to store the properties) for your editor, use the “configuration” attribute and pass the name of the configuration file to the attribute. You can also dynamically assign the configuration file name in runtime using EL expressions. * You can add some custom plug-ins to the editor. * TinyMCE ‘s callbacks can be fired using or using some event handler attribute. * The implementation of the provides a built-in Seam text converter. New Features The : Vertical Orientation inputNumberSlider vertical layout contributed by the extendedDataTable authors (Many Thanks!) Improvements: now there is a possibility to position the component vertically. You need to make orientation="vertical" and specify the height. - Standalone Component You can now use the as a standalone component. For example, you can use it as a nested component of the . The point of this feature is that the keeps its functionality, namely: submit modes (“Sever”, “Ajax”, “none”), skinnability, etc. < rich:dataTable > - onRowContextMenu Attribute Added With the "onRowContextMenu" attribute you can now add a context menu called on the right click event. See the example: Where the “menu” is the id of the data . You can download RichFaces on JBoss RichFaces Downloads .

Threaded Messages (12)

2. Great![ Go to top ]

It's finally nice to see the integration with TinyMCE. I can't wait to try this out! Nice job and congrats on the release!
  3. I think richfaces has lots of variety when compare to other ajax frameworks in combination of JSF but can i see some more components(video, mp3 player, picture viewer, audio...) to stay ahead of competition with ICEfaces and even Adobe flex. I think richfaces need to think about Exception Handling Mechanism. Whenever any exception is thrown by Richfaces Component we can see only one line on browser. i hope they will do something about this. I also think richfaces to give a detail dependency or changes between different versions i mean if i update my ui.jar file what files i need to update and what changes i need to methods or remove methods But finally(if u leave all those minor issues) to be frank "RICHFACES ROCKS!" Regards, Martin.
  4. i can't see this captcha[ Go to top ]

Hi theserverside guys, can u guys just make this captcha somewhat simple because it took 5-6 refreshes and try to figure out what is written in captcha. Thanks, Martin
  5. Re: i can't see this captcha[ Go to top ]

reCaptcha serves for a cause. You're helping out to move the texts into their soft versions (even when it's hard to figure out the words) It's a good thing that TSS is using that.
  6. Hi Are there any plans to integrate with IceFaces? As of now, if a developer wants to use components from RichFaces but needs ajax push (not fake pushing like rich:push), you have to use another technology. IceFaces is quite good with JSF, but if you want to use it with RichFaces you have to write your own renderers which can be painful. What would be nice is either: - integrate RichFaces with IceFaces' rendering, or - create tutorials for how a developer easily can do it himself Thanks for a great framework!
  7. comet should be the stuff to try out there for "real" server push.
  8. Re: Integration with Icefaces?[ Go to top ]

In terms of integration between ICEfaces and RichFaces, JSF 2.0 has a number of features specifically for component library compatibility (such as a standard JavaScript API for Ajax and standard Ajax request processing on the server).
    comet should be the stuff to try out there for "real" server push.
    ICEfaces Ajax Push hides the difficult parts within the framework and allows you to add push to a JSF application with just two lines of code ... maybe it doesn't seem "real" because the hard work is already done for you?
  9. captcha, push and others[ Go to top ]

Captcha: "Overview of the Features required by RichFaces' users" document has a Captcha in the table. However, it is not on top. I am not sure it is realistic to ask Red Hat to include it into the contract for the next release when more asked features are still in the task queue. push: I prefer to interpret "real" as a something that works for real without tones of explanations why the network environment is so unfriendly and how to workaround everything. a4j:push use a biff technique. The approach was introduced in the unpublished Ajax On-demand article written about two years ago. compatibility with other libraries: As Ted already mentioned, the JSF 2.0 will bring much more common points that were in the JSF 1.1/JSF 1.2. Let see how it will help to close the gap.
  10. Rich Faces is now very mature api. Thanks to great team!!. RF 3.3 + Facelets and Seam + JSF now make a very powerful web stack. When is the plan to release JSF 2.0 branch for Rich Faces. Complex Layout components which can be dragged(horizontally and vertically) has been long waited and is very useful in creating complex dashboards. Charting library is also what is currently missing, although available in other apis. Good work by the team!!.
  11. They released an integration plan for jsf 2.0 http://jboss.org/community/docs/DOC-13173
  12. JSF 2 Branch release[ Go to top ]

Thanks for the link http://jboss.org/community/docs/DOC-13173 It has very good information, I see JSF 2 Ajax not as per RF team expectation, but what I understand RF team also participated in JSR release, so why they did not fill the gaps if any. JSF 2 release is an important milestone, although Bookmarkable URL in core JSR spec is still awaited. I hope to see a RF release on JSF 2 branch soon, we all want to migrate to JSF 2 asap, after all component creation seems to be very easy in it. Also does RF team has any plans to use JAVA FX for creating very rich charting library for web application which can be integrated in web-apps with JSF 2 ?
  13. which version of Seam can we use with this release? and are there any plans for SR1, etc.?