Freedom OSS announces "Cloud Data Ingestion" service

Discussions

News: Freedom OSS announces "Cloud Data Ingestion" service

1. Cloud Data Transfer Service - Upload Terabytes of Data in 80% Less Time. Did you know that it could take you up to 2 full weeks to upload 500GB of data to the Cloud? Freedom OSS has partnered with Amazon to create a secure data transfer service for your Enterprise... We will provide equipment to securely load and ship your data directly to Amazon data center of choice. Below are some of the benefits of using our service: * Transfer Terabytes in days vs. weeks/months * Drastically reduces time to market for HPC or other Cloud Computing with large data sets * Eliminates problems with unreliable data transfers over WAN * Only service certified with AWS for secured data ingestion into EC2 * Guaranteed data consistency and completeness on the Cloud Please contact Freedom OSS team for more information
  2. Why would anyone need this? Everyone knows you can just open 50,000 connections to the cloud and send 10 megabytes on each connection. And really smart people got all their data on the cloud 20 years ago.
  3. Over the last few years, I've met number of clients who had specific applications which they wanted to run entirely in the cloud with the data also being there. Those clients came from verticals such as geodesic exploration (geological modeling), financials (monte carlo simulations, latin hypercube), healthcare (various HPC needs), property and health insurance data/marts. It's becoming more mainstream. All had to move in excess of 30 terrabytes of data to the cloud to get going. Some client's have not use for cloud computing and that maybe true for many organizations. http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=53169#303410
  4. James, I can't tell if you're joking or serious, which makes it hard to know how to respond. :) I'm glad to hear that a service like this has appeared. I saw a talk a while ago about a company using Amazon's web services to periodically process and reformat 100GB worth of video. It worked great for them, except for the problem of getting the data into Amazon's network. Because it only happened monthly (or a frequency along those lines), it didn't make sense to set up a high-speed symmetric line just for that purpose. They ended up making an ad hoc arrangement to drop by a data center and send the data from there. Even if this is essentially the same thing, it's nice to have it formalized.
  5. James, I can't tell if you're joking or serious, which makes it hard to know how to respond. :)
    Sorry, I was recently attacked as an abacus wielding curmudgeon for suggesting that latency is a downside of the cloud. I was told that to go back into my cave and paint pictures of bison.