Discussions

News: AcornDB open source embeded database

1. AcornDB open source embeded database (28 messages)

ASCS has released AcornDB v1.06, an open source, object-oriented embedded database for Java that offers high performance persistence and ease in working with objects. ASCS is offering AcornDb as a free download and spearheading its development in the open source community. ASCS also now sells AcornDB support as well as commercial licenses. Under AcornDB's dual license, users can modify database source code and use it freely in non-commercial applications (software that is neither sold nor used internally by a business, and for which source code is made available) under the GPL. ASCS's commercial license is required if AcornDB-based software will be sold or used for business, or if source code is to be withheld. AcornDB is intended for Java applications requiring a modest footprint and fast, multi-platform data management - typical uses include packaged software, mobile and embedded applications, Web services and industrial systems. AcornDB fits within the resource constraints of many embedded systems applications. AcornDB requires no dedicated compiler, byte code processor or specialized Java run-time environment. The AcornDB API is flexible and easy to use. It requires no end-user administration, and ensures integrity via transactions that adhere to the ACID properties (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation and Durability) with fast recovery. In this way AcornDB works with an application to use available JVM resources while providing access to very large data sets.It architecture provides an underlying storage layer for any Java application requiring high performance, transactional integrity and recoverability. [Editor: More information and download is available at http://www.ascstech.com/products.html ].

Threaded Messages (28)

2. Why would I select AcornDB over javaDB?[ Go to top ]

Someone had to ask the obvious question. thx, --Kurt
  3. Why would I select javaDB over HSQLDB?[ Go to top ]

Someone had to ask the obvious question.

thx,

--Kurt
  4. Because it object oriented DB[ Go to top ]

I think the reason to use AcronDB over JavaDB is because AcronDB is object oriented DB whether JavaDB is relational DB!
  5. Someone had to ask the obvious question.

thx,

--Kurt
    How does it compare to BDB-JE Direct Persistence Layer? BDB-JE is really really fast and very easy to work with. Also, I'd suggest that if you're trying to sell your product to Java developers, show them some Java code of how easy your application is to use.
  6. AcornDB distribution holds documentations and example which explain how use the AcornDB.
  7. muhabbet, mIRC, Chat[ Go to top ]

muhabbet , mIRC , Chat
  8. db4o or neodatis-odb?
  9. You can visit ASCS site and find comparison between AcornDB ,BerkleyDB JE and Db4o
  10. ASCS has released AcornDB v1.06, ... under the GPL. ASCS's commercial license is required if AcornDB-based software will be sold or used for business.
    Nothing here to see beyond contrived benchmarks and ill-fated licensing terms. (Moves on)
  11. Nothing here to see beyond contrived benchmarks and ill-fated licensing terms.

(Moves on)
    I concur the website is not particularly informative, however I do not really understand why any non-free commercial license must be tagged as "ill-fated" - is free software the only way to go? I do not think so.
  12. is free software the only way to go? I do not think so. No, but the GPL "alternative" is a very bad way to go.
  13. .. but last time I checked on the GPL, there was no clause prohibiting commercial software based upon GPL'ed software (even if it is a derivative work). As long as I make the sourcecode available to the users under the terms of the GPL, I may earn as much money as I like. And I've never even heard of limitations of usage for a GPL'ed application. So the following sentence is AFAIK at least a little "exagerated" and more wishful thinking, than actual license terms.
    and use it freely in non-commercial applications (software that is neither sold nor used internally by a business, and for which source code is made available) under the GPL.
  14. As long as I make the sourcecode available to the users under the terms of the GPL, I may earn as much money as I like.
    More precisely, available to your users (buyers), not all users. BTW, 'dual licensing' is, of course, scam.
  15. I don't want to spoil the fun[ Go to top ]

AcornDB need to commercial licensing only for companies which necessaries technical support
  16. AcornDB need to commercial licensing only for companies which necessaries technical support
  17. Nice graphic, what does it mean?[ Go to top ]

OK, so you have a graphic showing your benchmark, how did you get those results? How did you setup your environments? BDB caches writes, writing to RAM and persisting to disk on a background thread, so I'm sceptical that you had a 20x write improvement. Which BDB did you use? what was your cache size? Were these even on the same machine? I suppose I could contrive a benchmark that gives another DB a 20x performance improvement over Acorn by giving the acorn instance the smallest cache allowed, a slower disk (write to a 10 year old CompactFlash card), start the JVM with much less RAM, defragment my hard drive during the Acorn run. If that doesn't work, I'll throw in a few Thread.sleep() calls just to skew things even more.
  18. The AcornDB.zip holds the benchmark, you need only extract zip file and run benchmark scripts to get the results. In benchmark we used default values, run on same environment and the direct write to disk in all databases. In case that you can optimize this program and get better performance please send it.
  19. The AcornDB.zip holds the benchmark, you need only extract zip file and run benchmark scripts to get the results. In benchmark we used default values, run on same environment and the direct write to disk in all databases. In case that you can optimize this program and get better performance please send it.
  20. I found this: http://suif.stanford.edu/~mhn/chord/jdbm/jdbm/recman/BaseRecordManager.html This class is identical to the code within this project. It looks like the code was taken from JDBM, the comments removed and a new license placed on it. Compare com.pg.base.DefaultCacheManager in AcornDB to the code above.
  21. I found this:

http://suif.stanford.edu/~mhn/chord/jdbm/jdbm/recman/BaseRecordManager.html

This class is identical to the code within this project. It looks like the code was taken from JDBM, the comments removed and a new license placed on it.

Compare com.pg.base.DefaultCacheManager in AcornDB to the code above.
    This code is actually a piece of the jdbm project at sourceforge (http://jdbm.sourceforge.net/). JDBM is released under a BSD license which is pretty open and liberal, so even if AcornDB has been based on jdbm, they are free to do that. However, I still would consider it really bad ethics to "steel" someone else's code, slap a new license on it, re-brand it and sell it for profit. So, even if the BSD license is pretty unrestrictive, there is still the case of "steeling" someone else's intellectual property. So, even if AcornDB is a good product, I still would hesitate to use it because of this alleged IP theft. Can someone check how much code of AcornDB is based on JDBM?
  22. AcornDB need to commercial licensing only for companies which necessaries technical support
  23. AcornDB need to commercial licensing only for companies which necessaries technical support
    So, dear ASCSTech Team, dear Alex, for all purposes of fairness, please re-add the original license (BSD), add the notes giving credit to the original work, and you are free to sell commercial support for this product as much as you like. If you happen to have proprietary extensions to the software that you chose not to release under BSD, you can do this and also release it under your own license. But, stop steeling someone else's code and claim it as your own. That is the worst thing you can do and will definitely kill your product in the open source community sooner as you can think. Just my two cents and well intentioned advise. -Uli
  24. I confirm. As far as I can see, this is a simple copy of JDBM code base. They broke item (1) and -5) of the JDBM license : 1. Redistributions of source code must retain copyright statements and notices. Redistributions must also contain a copy of this document. 5. Due credit should be given to the JDBM Project((http://jdbm.sourceforge.net/).
  25. Definitely "heavily based" on JDBM[ Go to top ]

I found this:

http://suif.stanford.edu/~mhn/chord/jdbm/jdbm/recman/BaseRecordManager.html

This class is identical to the code within this project. It looks like the code was taken from JDBM, the comments removed and a new license placed on it.

Compare com.pg.base.DefaultCacheManager in AcornDB to the code above.
    You're absolutely right. Looking at a few other files with the same names in both, the standard pattern seems to be (Look at BlockIo.java for an example as well): 1. Remove the JDBM copyright 2. Remove all original comments in the JDBM code 3. Add an AcornDB GPL header 4. Change the names of a few of the private properties to deter text matching algorithms that might happen to help catch this 5. Refactor interfaces to use "Hungarian" notation, also to help deter text matching algorithms All in all a pretty questionable business practice, and I don't see any reason to pay a company for support whose whole business model is ripping off open-source projects, especially with giving credit where it is due.
  26. Re: Definitely "heavily based" on JDBM[ Go to top ]

If you go to the web site now, you'll see that it is redirected to a generic advertising page. I guess they were surprised that people would discover that they stole the code from another project.
  27. Re: Definitely "heavily based" on JDBM[ Go to top ]

This was small problem with site and now it available. Now we decided change the license to LGPL.
  28. You can change the licence to LGPL, it's still a blatent copy of JDBM, and you are still violating the original license. That's just pathetic...
  29. Gentlemen, let be positive sometimes, at least from the beginning. AccornDB is really cool (from my perspective). We are using it within our solution as a persistence layer for our message bus. And there is no regret on our decision to use AccornDB: minimal setup, great performance, fast and professional support (what else can we expect from a software product). In summary: it is very easy to find negative points in anything, especially if you are looking for those negatives. But I have another proposal, just try the benchmark and try to be not biased to anything before jumping to your conclusions. Peace, Y.K.