Discussions

News: Fabric3 1.0 Service Virtualization Platform Released

1. Fabric3 has released version 1.0 of its service virtualization platform. Built from the ground up to leverage Service Component Architecture (SCA), Fabric3 provides the ability to assemble, provision, and manage distributed applications in an automated fashion. Feature highlights include: - Provision clustered, high-availability service fabrics based on P2P technologies. Fabric3 currently uses Glassfish Shoal and JXTA for dynamic discovery with planned XMPP support. - Updated support for the new OASIS SCA 1.1 specifications - Allows applications to use OSGi for Java modularity and manages archive provisioning to remote nodes - Out-of-the-box JPA/Hibernate and ActiveMQ integration - Supports a variety of remote communications mechanisms, including JMS, REST/POX, FTP, and Web Services Fabric3 may be downloaded from http://www.fabric3.org.

Threaded Messages (5)

2. Fabrc3 release[ Go to top ]

The Fabric3 framework is one I have worked with on an SOA project in the capacity of technical architect. An overwhelming advantage of F3 is that it is an open source implementation of an open SOA standard (SCA): no vendor-lock-in, licence fees and if you want to inspect and modify the code, you are at liberty to do so. SCA/F3 is a boon for (but not specific to) JEE, and may be considered as a framework/application for ESB; compositional component definition and wiring; connector middleware for integrating communication channels/protocols e.g. messaging; web services integration; integration tests, etc. F3 has its own runtime but also operates within an JEE app containers such as WLS, JBoss & Websphere. F3 is not coupled to Java, F3 components may be implemented in various languages e.g. C++, and framework components e.g. BPEL, spring. An SOA project architecture that standardises on F3, Maven 2 and JPA/hibernate is a solid one. Congrats to the developers. Disclaimer: I am not an F3 developer, my perspective of F3 is as an end-user of the recent betas using a subset of F3 capabilities and should be taken as neither comprehensive, reliable nor official. Cordially yours, James
  3. not open source[ Go to top ]

An overwhelming advantage of F3 is that it is an open source implementation of an open SOA standard
    Looks more like Microsoft-style shared source than open source if I read the license correctly.
  4. Re: Fabrc3 release[ Go to top ]

Thanks James. I'd be interested to hear more about how you are using F3. Drop me a line sometime via gmail at jim.marino. Jim
  5. buzzword compliance[ Go to top ]

You're grouping REST with "communications mechanisms" such as JMS and FTP...? I wouldn't call JMS a comms mechanism anyway, and grouping those 3 under the same umbrella smacks of yet another project that favours buzzword compliance over actual consideration of the technologies.
  6. Re: buzzword compliance[ Go to top ]

I think it is fair to loosely group such technologies as "communications" mechanisms since, after all, they are fundamentally about enabling remote communications in distributed applications. Sure, JMS is an API and REST (I probably should have labled it more accurately as HTTP/POX in the original announcement) is more than remote communications (R,E,S). But I don't think that detracts from the fact that all of those technologies share this fundamental trait. Jim