Cloud computing versus Grid computing

Discussions

News: Cloud computing versus Grid computing

1. Cloud computing versus Grid computing (9 messages)

Learn how you can use Infrastructure as a Service to get a full computer infrastructure using Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2). This article helps you plan ahead for working with cloud by knowing how cloud computing compares to grid computing,, how you can resolve issues in cloud and grid computing, and what security issues exist with data recovery and managing private keys in a pay-on-demand environment.

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Usual overload....[ Go to top ]

Clouds are different way to deploy your grid applications. Nothing more - nothing less in my opinion. Best, Nikita Ivanov. GridGain - Open Cloud Platform
  3. Re: Usual overload....[ Go to top ]

Clouds are different way to deploy your grid applications. Nothing more - nothing less in my opinion.
    This is a marketing piece at best (paid for, promoting, and promoted by IBM), with incorrect and misleading technical information. Having worked with customers who actually do deploy to "the cloud", I note that this paper doesn't touch on any of the real problems associated with cloud deployments. Spinning up VMs that run your application is startlingly easy, but getting more VMs to actually provide more real capacity is very challenging .. outside of the silly demos that I've seen from certain product companies, anyhow .. ;-) Peace, Cameron Purdy Oracle Coherence: Data Grid for Java, .NET and C++
  4. Re: Usual overload....[ Go to top ]

I think you meant to say that clouds offer a dynamic platform (at least in terms of available resource capacity) on which to deploy grid applications. Cloud computing platforms naturally (will) come with their own unique set of services common to different applications stacks including resource management and metering (chargeback) as well as addressing the critical scalability in grid computing - the actual management of hundreds of computing appliances. This is not scalable today in the grid computing world because someone (a human) still needs to be involved in the provisioning and deployment. Ideally the platform should create a significant amount of cloud around the underlying management of the physical/virtualized environment. In the end cloud computing must evolve to the stage were there is no distinct boundaries across processes and executions flows and between memory systems & storage systems. Virtualization is a means to the end and should not be the interface to the cloud itself.
  5. Cloud Computing!!![ Go to top ]

I would like to prepare users for a future term we will use in the computer cluster/grid/cloud space. "Storm" computing, it's were you configure your network based on lots of clouds. The downside? well there will be no silver lining.
  6. Re: Cloud Computing!!![ Go to top ]

I have already laid claim to everything in the atmosphere. http://groups.google.com/group/cloud-computing/browse_frm/thread/81a30fd912e5abb2/2f22641c6f371c69?lnk=gst&q=atmosphere#2f22641c6f371c69
    I would like to lay claim to "atmosphere computing" ...delivering the gas to keep your applications running (and employees)."
    William
  7. Re: Cloud Computing!!![ Go to top ]

Ha-ha :)
  8. Re: Cloud Computing!!![ Go to top ]

I have already laid claim to everything in the atmosphere.

http://groups.google.com/group/cloud-computing/browse_frm/thread/81a30fd912e5abb2/2f22641c6f371c69?lnk=gst&q=atmosphere#2f22641c6f371c69

I would like to lay claim to "atmosphere computing" ...delivering the gas to keep your applications running (and employees)."

William
    I'll go one better (maybe).. I hereby coin the term: "Planetary Computing" - Built with Alien Technology on Uranus
  9. New fancy name for an old idea...
  10. I have seen many interpretations and definitions on Cloud computing. What I liked most is the new primer of Sun http://www.sun.com/offers/docs/cloud_computing_primer.pdf. The way I understand it, there is two things. "Cloud" and "Cloud computing". A "Could" offers almost no computing apart from the invoice that you will be charged with. "Cloud computing" is what you as a developer will have to implement. Happy reading.