Discussions

News: SmartGWT 1.0b2 released with new Enterprise Skin

1. Along with performance improvements, several new features and developer tools have been added. Some of the new features are : full support for WebServices (WSDL), portal support, checkbox selection for grids, and support for overlapping events in Calendars. A few new samples including Portals have been added to the showcase. These can be found under the New Samples side nav category. The SmartGWT Developer Console, which is an invaluable developer tool, has also been enhanced to support direct DOM inspection and monitoring of RPC calls. You can find related information and download links here: http://www.jroller.com/sjivan/entry/smartgwt_1_0b2_released_with .

Threaded Messages (14)

2. Sorry for thread hijack, how come no news that Apache and SpringSource have voted no on EE6 vote? SS move was predictable, however, I'm stunned by Apache's decision. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/05/sun_enterprise_java_opensource/
  3. Sorry for thread hijack, how come no news that Apache and SpringSource have voted no on EE6 vote?
    Because few developers truly give a flying hoot about the JEE specs? Perhaps I speak only for myself, but I don't know too many who care or develop with EJBs of any kind; but many of my peers (including myself) design and develop with IoC in mind, specifically Spring.
  4. This doesn't explain why they voted no, though, if they've given no other explanation.
  5. Because few developers truly give a flying hoot about the JEE specs? Perhaps I speak only for myself, but I don't know too many who care or develop with EJBs of any kind; but many of my peers (including myself) design and develop with IoC in mind, specifically Spring.
    IBM said it nicely: "IBM's vote is based on the technical merits of this JSR and is not a vote on the licensing terms."
  6. Re: HiJack![ Go to top ]

I thought about it, was it really news? Apache had made its feelings known well in advance. And in any case, it didn't change the end result.
  7. Re: HiJack![ Go to top ]

I thought about it, was it really news? Apache had made its feelings known well in advance. And in any case, it didn't change the end result.
    Probably not real news, but I was hoping for another heated debate =).
  8. Indeed this is not the right place to discuss this topic. But indeed, these are important news. JavaWorld for example, has picked it as Editor's Choice.
  9. GWT is good[ Go to top ]

How rude or pathetic of post like that.. now coming to GWT it has good points but Flex has lot of features still GWT lacks. But GWT is still new compare to Flex and we will get more widgets which can do many thing out of box. I am very convince to do entire site in RIA fashion. If GWT can add module & page level features so merging with existing website is easier. But Flex also lacks in some part but creating good looking UI & lot of out of box features in widget make it easy for single developer to develop application.
  10. SmartGWT is excellent[ Go to top ]

Great job on SmartGWT. I was hesitant to start using it over EXT but the active development is encouraging. Keep up the great work. PS Can an admin please remove the hijack posts... how rude.
  11. Re: SmartGWT is excellent[ Go to top ]

Great job on SmartGWT. I was hesitant to start using it over EXT but the active development is encouraging. Keep up the great work.

PS Can an admin please remove the hijack posts... how rude.
    Are you using it? What are your impressions?
  12. Re: SmartGWT is excellent[ Go to top ]

I've been using it for a month now. It has excellent support for REST services and its the only framework that I've come across that can handle large datasets without affecting the performance. Support is outstanding and issues are resolved quickly.
  13. Re: SmartGWT is excellent[ Go to top ]

I've been using it for a month now. It has excellent support for REST services and its the only framework that I've come across that can handle large datasets without affecting the performance.
    Support is outstanding and issues are resolved quickly.
    So loading a table with a large number of rows is well handled?
  14. GWT is a very interesting effort, and can become the next big thing on the development of RIA applications. However if you want to build an entreprise ready GWT application today, you just don't have enough the widgetery (as a pure Java GWT implementation). SmartGWT uses existent SmartClient javascript widgets and is the nearest thing I have seen to an enterprise ready GWT front-end (if you only consider 'commercial friendly' libraries), but still some important pieces are missing: - The implementation of the promised RPC data source. This is essential for people coming to SmartGWT with existent RPC servlets. - The release of SmartGWT EE. Any status on these? You can get a feel on the SmartGWT performance by running the examples from the showcase. (The already existent RestDataSource makes SmartGWT a perfect solution to a grails, django, ror or app engine application front-end.)
  15. Hello Dário, SmartGWT EE is now available for evaluation: http://blog.isomorphic.com/?p=78 For those with pre-existing GWT-RPC services that are difficult to migrate away from or who don't want to use SmartGWT EE, a SmartGWT user has produced a very good example of how to use such services from SmartGWT, complete with search criteria and data paging support: http://forums.smartclient.com/showthread.php?t=4814