Discussions

News: Testing complex Ajax content

1. Testing complex Ajax content (1 messages)

One of the biggest pains when testing web applications is hitting the wall with Ajax and client-side dynamic content. The big problem from an architectural standpoint is that at a DOM level it is incredibly difficult to determine a significant action from an insignificant action. If one were to record every minor browser DOM mutation, the output Test Case would be hundreds of lines long, which whilst amusing for about 5 seconds, is completely unmaintainable. Read more at: http://www.jadeliquid.com/blogs/2009/testing-complex-ajax-content.php

Threaded Messages (1)

2. Eventing models[ Go to top ]

It's very cool for me to see the options Java developers have to model unit tests of Ajax applications. I was first introduced to this topic in JMeter. I quickly found that my tests had to adhere to JMeter's user interface. Recordings were pretty-much top-down in nature and did not branch depending on the application results. That worked well for Web 1.0 applications but falls short in the asynchronous world of Ajax components in a Web page. Later I found Selenium offered me an object library that I could use in my Java applications. browser.open("/products/search"); browser.type("frank"); browser.click("searchbox", 0); Windmill came along as a rewrite of Selenium that adds a call-back mechanism to the base Selenium architecture. (There are other differences.) And now I see JadeLiquid with call-back hooks in their bundled browser itself. LiquidTest looks polished and fairly inexpensive ($1000 dev/$1000 per testnode,) it has a Selenium-like API (aka, browser.click("q") and it runs in Eclipse. I can see TestMaker offering a LiquidTest script runner just like we do for Selenium. While the blog about JadeLiquid points out the cool call-back features, I could do this in Selenium and Windmill too. I'd like to see how JadeLiquid, Selenium and Windmill will handle the next generation Ajax frameworks, including Appcelerator. -Frank Cohen http://www.pushtotest.com