Flux 7.8 Released: New REST capability for jobs and workflows

Discussions

News: Flux 7.8 Released: New REST capability for jobs and workflows

1. Flux is a Java job scheduler, file transfer engine, and workflow engine. It is used by Java developers to embed job scheduling, file transfers, and workflow into their application architectures. Flux 7.8 includes new features for querying and updating databases as well as calling Web Services and REST Services. Fully functional evaluation copies of Flux are available for download at: http://www.fluxcorp.com/download New features in Flux 7.8 include:
    • REST action for invoking REST services
    • Database actions for querying and updating databases
    • Web Service action improvement so that it properly supports modern Web services available today
    • PostgreSQL database support
    • In-memory database upgraded to the H2 database, which removes the previous limits imposed by HSQL
    • A variety of other documentation and feature additions and improvements
    Many Flux users embed Flux in their Java applications to process financial information using file workflows involving Secure FTP file transfers, although many other Flux users also embed Flux for entirely different purposes. More information about Flux Corporation and the Flux 7.8 release can be found at the Flux website: http://www.fluxcorp.com

Threaded Messages (14)

2. Hi, There is an open source job scheduler with GUI workflow editor. It is Acelet-Scheduler(http://www.acelet.com/super/SuperScheduler/index.html). GPL license. Free. You set jobs by clicking. No programming is required. You set all jobs, include webservice jobs, by clicking. Daemons are provided as well. For Java programmers as well as administrators. Open source job scheduler
  3. No fair trying to hijack the thread[ Go to top ]

Hi Wei, You and I have known each other a long time. No fair trying to hijack the thread. I don't try to hijack yours. :) Kind regards, David http://www.fluxcorp.com
  4. Re: No fair trying to hijack the thread[ Go to top ]

Hi David, This is an open discussion. The word "hijack" is too strong. Comments are welcome when I post anything here. Not only welcome you, but welcome to all. REAL regards, Wei Acelet-Scheduler: Open source job scheduler
  5. Comparrison[ Go to top ]

Wouldn't you both agree that the best way to win our minds is both of you to show us how each is different and why one solution is better over the other? I'd welcome that kind of education.
  6. Re: Comparrison[ Go to top ]

My knowledge about Flux comes from quick glance of its web site. I can not really compare them, but only list a couple features of SuperScheduler. These features MAY be not in Flux. * SuperScheduler is open source with GPL license. * SuperScheduler is designed for both administrators and programmers. It works out-of-the-box. Programming is not required. You do everything by clicking. But if you do want to program, you can use full API which is used by out GUI. * It fails-over. As long as there is one instance of SuperScheduler is running, your task will be executed. * SuperScheduler fully supports distributed computing environment: you can run SuperScheduler on any node of your network at any time. A job will run once and only once, if one or more instances of SuperScheduler are running, regardless of how many application servers or which server are running. Missed tasks (from hardware failure) or critical errors will trigger alert emails. * It provides very comprehensive holiday/weekend policies and facilities. Can Flux adjust a task to "Previous business day"? * SuperScheduler can work with other modules to set tasks. for example, with our Easy-Webservice, it lists all available services and parameters from a wsdl, so you set a webservice task be clicking. Wei Acelet-Scheduler: Open source job scheduler
  7. Re: Comparrison[ Go to top ]

Hi Florin, It’s difficult for Wei Jiang to provide an accurate comparison of his product versus Flux. Likewise, it is also difficult for us to do the same with his product. We do not have a marketing department as we believe in letting the product speak for itself. We do not consider Super Scheduler to be a competitor to Flux. However, we appreciate your request for a comparison and will fulfill it. I will address the points that Wei Jiang raises first, then point out the benefits of Flux over Super Scheduler. 1. Flux has a cost effective and simple commercial license. A good portion of our customers need this as they embed Flux in commercial products or rely on support from our company for their enterprise scheduling needs. Super Scheduler also offers a commercial license, most likely, for the same purpose. Super Scheduler Enterprise Edition is not GPL. Super Scheduler EE provides more jobs types over the GPL edition, supports workflow job, composite job, and retry jobs. Super Scheduler EE provides user interfaces for EJB, JMX, and web service jobs. Job history features are also not included in the GPL version. 2. Flux has modern web-based interfaces designed for operators and Java developers. http://www.fluxcorp.com/products/flux/features/ops_console.html Flux has an extensive Java API available for developers to create or control jobs. The Flux Javadoc is available on the Flux Portal: http://my.fluxcorp.com/ 3. Flux is commonly deployed in a clustered scenario, so there is no single point of failure. 4. Flux will ensure that a job runs once and only once on a cluster. Emails can be sent out for jobs that timeout or exceed their SLA. 5. Flux supports business calendars and both simple and complex time patterns to satisfy customer requirements. Adjusting to previous business day, last business day of the week, second to the last business day of the month, etc. are possible. User interfaces are provided to create business calendars: http://www.fluxcorp.com/products/flux/features/java-job-scheduling.html 6. Flux supports invoking REST or SOAP-based web services. You must know the WSDL, operation, and expected parameters to invoke web services. We will likely add a user interface to parse WSDL documents to provide a point-and-click interface in the future. I have reviewed the Super Scheduler GPL and non-GPL Super Scheduler EE website and documentation. I have also installed and played with both versions. Here is a quick list of some benefits that Flux provides over Super Scheduler EE: 1. Visual job monitor: http://www.fluxcorp.com/products/flux/features/general.html 2. Flux has been tested with MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQL Server 2005. 3. Support for monitoring and transferring files using FTP SSL, UNC, and local file systems: http://www.fluxcorp.com/products/flux/features/file-transfer.html 4. Support for SOAP-based web services with WS-Security and WS-Addressing. 5. JAXB binding and XPath support for REST-based web services. 6. Embeddable inside of JEE or servlet containers to enable cohesive deployment with enterprise Java applications. 7. Integrate security with JEE or servlet containers, LDAP, or Active Directory via JAAS. 8. Support for complex job dependencies using built-in Flux messaging or JMS. 9. Monitor, query, and update databases from jobs. 10. JTA transaction support. 11. Detailed audit logging and high-level job reports with metrics such as average job time. 12. Extensive system and business logic error handling capabilities. 13. Proven tract record with a large customer base including customers such as: Equifax, Trans Union, UPS, FedEx, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Bank of New York, Deutsche Bank, Standard & Poors, United Airlines, Boeing, MTV, Con-Way, Cox Communications, Barclays, Intuit, and Avid. I believe Flux is head and shoulders above both Super Scheduler GPL and Super Scheduler EE. This is a just quick laundry list of benefits that I believe Flux offers over Super Scheduler. Wei Jiang, thanks for posting your comparison of Super Scheduler and Flux. Feel free to reply if I have misconstrued the facts in this comparison. I have done my best to keep it accurate, but I realize that I am not an expert with your product. Kind regards, Eric -- Eric Rich, Flux Lead Developer Office: +1 (406) 656-7398 Skype: flux.eric.rich Flux - Java Job Scheduler. File Transfer. Workflow.
  8. Re: Comparrison[ Go to top ]

Hi Florin,

It’s difficult for Wei Jiang to provide an accurate comparison of his product versus Flux. Likewise, it is also difficult for us to do the same with his product.
    Eric, you are far too polite. I know how that is -- it's considered bad form to speak honestly about competitors whose software is atrocious. My advice is to suggest that Florin download the "Super" source code and take a look-see for himself, and then your problems will be solved. (Just to be clear, I personally spent a few minutes looking once, and was horrified by the code. I have since removed the word "super" from my vocabulary as a result.) Florin, IMHO, the difference between Flux and SuperScheduler is analogous to the difference between a reliable pickup truck and a broken, rusting baby carriage. Wei, my apologies in advance for my bluntness, but someone has to be willing to say what everyone else is thinking. It is blatantly misleading for you to be comparing your SuperScheduler product with Flux. Peace, Cameron Purdy Oracle Coherence: Data Grid for Java, .NET and C++
  9. Re: Comparrison[ Go to top ]

I agree with Cameron-- I had never heard of SuperScheduler prior to today, and I feel that a joke is being played on me. It's hard to promote products as 'high usability' and user-friendliness when even their website is an example of poor adherence to usability best-practices. I have a hard time believing that such a website even exists in 2009 from the self-proclaimed 'leader' in J2EE tools. ...unless its just a big joke put on by the Flux guys :-) Wei- you are not only rude, but clearly out of touch with modern JEE development. You hijacking this thread, and rudely defending your right to do so, has only turned out to be an embarrassment to yourself. Steve
  10. Thanks for the effort to answer[ Go to top ]

It's all good. We all know a little better now what choices we have.
  11. The word "hijack" is too strong.
    It's hijacking. Concerning your "Super" scheduler: If it looks like your web site or your GUI ...
  12. Scheduling app vs component?[ Go to top ]

Congratulations on shipping Flux 7.8. It looks like a good achievement. I'm working on the next big release of my open source test project. It will feature an Ajax user interface for a backend that has a repository and scheduler. I have been looking at Quartz for a while and like what it has to offer. Is Flux or SuperScheduler designed to be embedded into another system? -Frank
  13. Re: Scheduling app vs component?[ Go to top ]

Congratulations on shipping Flux 7.8. It looks like a good achievement.

I'm working on the next big release of my open source test project. It will feature an Ajax user interface for a backend that has a repository and scheduler. I have been looking at Quartz for a while and like what it has to offer. Is Flux or SuperScheduler designed to be embedded into another system?

-Frank
    Do you really need to program? Please think hard. SuperScheduler can do almost everything you need by clicking. It works out-of-box. You can change timing or event trigger any time by clicking without re-program. Quartz is a library (correct me if I am wrong) you need program and re-program. Wei Acelet-Scheduler: Open source job scheduler
  14. Re: Scheduling app vs component[ Go to top ]

Congratulations on shipping Flux 7.8. It looks like a good achievement.

I'm working on the next big release of my open source test project. It will feature an Ajax user interface for a backend that has a repository and scheduler. I have been looking at Quartz for a while and like what it has to offer. Is Flux or SuperScheduler designed to be embedded into another system?
    Thanks Frank! We have an excellent group of developers, which really helps! I've been following your work for a few years. I hope to get to meet you in person. I imagine our travel schedules will intersect at some point and I will get the opportunity. We have been pushing the limits of JavaScript and Ajax in our interfaces. There is certainly a need for good testing tools to help create reliable software. Flux is embeddable in a Java web application. Quartz is also embeddable and is a good choice. I do not believe that Super Scheduler is embeddable in a Java web application, it seems to require a standalone JVM. Wei Jiang, please correct me if I am wrong. We have two classifications of customers. Those that run Flux standalone as a service and those that embed Flux into their software product. The use of Flux is common for applications such as yours. Many customers launch Flux in a servlet without the need for a standalone JVM. This creates a nice deployment architecture for an enterprise Java application and simplifies the configuration necessary for interacting with the container You do not have to mess with container JARs, initial context, or administration of a separate service when Flux is embedded in a Java web application. You can create jobs using our web-based or desktop graphical designer interfaces or Java API. Either option works well. Customers often design jobs in the graphical designer and then load the job template using the Java API to populate it with dynamic data at runtime. I really like this option myself. Like Wei Jiang, I am an advocate of reducing the amount of code in applications and only using code where necessary. This option provides the best of both worlds without any sacrifices. Quarts sounds like a good option for you, but feel free to download Flux and take it for a spin to see how you like it. Contact me if you want a quick tutorial and I'll help get you started. Cheers, Eric -- Eric Rich, Flux Lead Developer Office: +1 (406) 656-7398 Skype: flux.eric.rich Flux - Java Job Scheduler. File Transfer. Workflow.
  15. Re: Scheduling app vs component[ Go to top ]

Opps, that last mention of Quartz was a typo. Quarts should have been Quartz. I cannot edit my reply, so an apology is in order. My apologies to the Quartz team! -- Eric Rich, Flux Lead Developer Office: +1 (406) 656-7398 Skype: flux.eric.rich Flux - Java Job Scheduler. File Transfer. Workflow.