How to use static variables in JSP ?

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: How to use static variables in JSP ?

1. How to use static variables in JSP ? (4 messages)

Hello,
    I'm trying to use static variables into a JSP page (with Tomcat) but I get strange errors...isn't it possible to declare static variables into JSP pages?
    Thanks
    Francesco
  2. As far as i know, the jsp is translated by servlet engine into <some class depends upon the jsp file name>._jspService() method. I think we cannot have static variable declarations in any method in java.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks
    Subbu
  3. Yes it's sure, in Java you cannot declare static variables
    into methods, so when JSP are built it seems they're all placed inside "service", so that's the problem...
    Anyway I was investigating about bean properties, maybe it's possible to achieve a static-like behaviour setting
    the bean scope as "application" in this case the bean properties will persist between clients....
    Regards
    Francesco
  4. hey there... try this in a new jsp file called static.jsp:

<%!
      static int counter = 0;
    %>

<%
      counter++;
      out.print("I've been hit: " + counter + " times!");
    %>

5. Statement stm=con.createStatement(ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE,ResultSet.CONCUR_READ_ONLY);

when I am declaring statement as above shown. then jsp page showing errors that ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE,ResultSet.CONCUR_READ_ONLY are undefined variables. how to solve this problems. please send a mail to sngolla at rediffmail dot com.