Trading at BetFair betting exchange with Apache SCXML

Discussions

News: Trading at BetFair betting exchange with Apache SCXML

1. The main concept of trading is to buy at low price and to sell at high price, e.g. to buy/sell shares at a stock exchange. Similar idea is behind a betting exchange, but instead of shares issued by companies there are horse racing, tennis and football markets, instead of buying/selling shares, bets are placed. For example if two bets are placed on the same horse in a horse race, one bet at a lower price that the horse will lose and second bet at a higher price that the horse will win ,then whether or not a horse is a winner there is always a profit from these two bets. Full article is available on my blog: http://jessicalovesbetfair.blogspot.com/2009/04/trading-at-betfair-betting-exchange.html Any comments are more than welcome. Bye, Jessica

Threaded Messages (12)

2. More free advertising for Betunfair ? Don't you have editors to weed out such things ?
  3. I'm sorry but It's not an advert[ Go to top ]

Hi, I'm writing about betting exchange with Java and I use BetFair because it's a good example. Read my posts before you write such comments please. If you read my post you would knew that they are highly technical and related to Java technologies. Bye, Jessica
  4. Re: I'm sorry but It's not an advert[ Go to top ]

Do you work for Betfair ?
  5. Re: I'm sorry but It's not an advert[ Go to top ]

:-), yeah, one would wonder, wouldn't they? Seems like she either does (Betfair doesn't disclose their management name on the site), or she's addicted to gambling, which might explain (http://jessicalovesbetfair.blogspot.com/). It seems pretty weird to have a blog dedicated to just betfair.
  6. I don't work for BetFair. I'm writing about using Java technologies in a betting exchange world. BetFair was the first product I tried and the betting/trading application I'm writing as my hobby is dedicated to BetFair. That's why JessicaLovesBetFair - I love my hobby and I'm a passionate developer too. All my posts show how to use great Java technologies in practice and are purely not commercial, also no adverts on my blog: - BetFair Java API with Apache CXF, Spring and Maven - Automated betting with BetFair, Business Intelligence and Eclipse BIRT - and the last one. There is no difference between Stock Exchange and Betting Exchange and If I wrote post about: 'Trading at NasDAQ stock exchange with Apache SCXML' no one would start this discussion. Anyway I invite everyone to my blog and maybe you will find some interesting stuff for you, possibly useful not just at betting exchange. Bye, Jessica.
  7. I don't work for BetFair. I'm writing about using Java technologies in a betting exchange world.
    Jessica, Why not avoid all such problems and just have a blog about java technology, about interfaces to various betting companies then ? That way you don't get doubts in people's minds and they can focus on the technology. When someone continually comes on here and blogs about interfacing with the same corporate entity then people are bound to suspect a connection, and hence treat the technical side with less respect. Besides which, a lot of people don't have much respect for gambling so, if you really are just interested in the technology, you could demonstrate the technology with various diverse corporate bodies not just gambling.
  8. Johana, Yes, I'm writing about technology, but even though I have been programming since I was 10 (it's a looong time ago), I haven't wrote any blogs before, so why I'm writing now? Because I'm not writing just about any kind of Java technologies. My blog is a retrospective about what I did during last year with two great technologies: Java and betting exchange(BetFair), so I'm describing step by step, how I created sophisticated (betting/stock???) exchange aplication. Because I use BetFair API, I'm writing about BetFair. (see my initial post: http://jessicalovesbetfair.blogspot.com/2009/02/hello-one-year-ago-i-discovered-betfair.html) Possibly when I still like my new hobby (blogging) after I I describe all I want, then I will continue with blogging not just about Java+betting exchange+BetFair, but even then I will be writing in context of pracical usage of Java, possibly about Stock Exchange. So using a 'gambling' word is not very accurate to describe by blog. I don't care about BetFair and any kind of gambling what is very bad IMHO, but trading on betting exchange isn't diferent from stock/goods exchange. Also article 'how to use Apache SCXML in practice' is a much more interesting that 'how to create a SCXML state machine' (what already is explained clearly on the Apache SCXML website). So blogging just about Java could be pointless and boring). I'm sorry for so long comments, also I didn't want to abuse any one with my posts. Bye, Jessica.
  9. Johana,

Possibly when I still like my new hobby (blogging) after I I describe all I want, then I will continue with blogging not just about Java+betting exchange+BetFair, but even then I will be writing in context of pracical usage of Java, possibly about Stock Exchange.
    Will you rename your blog to jessicaloves then?

10. Will you rename your blog to jessicaloves then? I will create a new one or rename, don't know yet. Maybe the name of my current blog is not very good and I'm sorry for that. Jessica,
  11. Why the heat?[ Go to top ]

If somebody was blogging about their experiences interfacing with Amazon or eBay etc. there wouldn't be any reaction. Its somebody's personnel blog that demonstrates various (interesting) Java technologies with a real world system rather than some half baked example, which for me makes it all the more interesting.
  12. Re: Why the heat?[ Go to top ]

+1 Keep up the good work Jessica, I find the comments above rather narrow minded.61
  13. UK horse racing statistics[ Go to top ]

Some interesting statistics on the UK horse racing industry can be found here: http://www.horsedeathwatch.com/ There are other things you can bet on ...