A new JDBC Driver for SQL Server

Discussions

News: A new JDBC Driver for SQL Server

1. A new JDBC Driver for SQL Server (10 messages)

Microsoft SQL Server today announced the general availability of the JDBC v2.0 driver has been released. This release continues Microsoft's commitment to the Java community and non-Microsoft centric programming platforms. The driver can be found at http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/jdbc. This version of the JDBC driver supports features introduced in the JDBC 4.0 API, including: · national character set data types: NCHAR, NVARCHAR, LONGNVARCHAR, NCLOB · SQLXML data type · Wrapper interface to access SQL Server JDBC Driver specific methods · client info properties · new database metadata methods · LOB creator methods The 2.0 driver also adds: · default adaptive response buffering behavior · support for SQL Server 2008 collations · enhanced tracing, including public method entry and exit traces · performance improvements and bug fixes The SQL Server JDBC team continually monitors TheServerSide threads and would love to get your feedback on the driver for future releases as well as areas where we can help improve Java/JDBC connectivity to SQL Server, so do let us know what you think?

Threaded Messages (10)

2. How about a license that would allow it to be distributed freely ?
  3. You can redistribute the driver with your application without needing the user of your software to download the driver from the download site,
  4. You can redistribute the driver with your application without needing the user of your software to download the driver from the download site,
    Per the documentation, you must first register to redistribute Microsoft's JDBC driver. You don't have to do that to include the JTDS driver. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/aa937725.aspx
  5. Possible Problem with Driver?[ Go to top ]

After registering the new Driver in some test code, went to get a connection with: DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://hostname:port;") only to receive an exception that a suitable driver could not be found. Snooped around in the source code and found that the Utils class in the jar file is looking for a driver URL that begins with "jdbc:sqlserver" - changed my URL to jdbc:sqlserver://hostname:port; and it worked. Han Tunca CTO ClearFunds Advisors, LLC www.clearfunds.com www.staffordassetmanagement.com
  6. Comparison with jTDS[ Go to top ]

I'm working on a project that's currently using the jTDS JDBC driver rather than the one provided by Microsoft. jTDS is a JDBC 3.0 driver and only officially supports versions of SQL Server up to 2005 (might work with 2008). What does the Microsoft driver offer relative to jTDS, other than JDBC 4.0 and official 2008 support, that could convince me to switch? I don't have anything against the Microsoft driver, it's just that I haven't yet had any problems with jTDS. Thanks, Matt
  7. Re: Comparison with jTDS[ Go to top ]

What does the Microsoft driver offer relative to jTDS, other than JDBC 4.0 and official 2008 support, that could convince me to switch? I don't have anything against the Microsoft driver, it's just that I haven't yet had any problems with jTDS
    If I were you I wouldn't. But having never needed to connect a Java app to SQL Server I'd choose the MS driver because of jTDS documentation versus MS documentation Christian.
  8. jtds[ Go to top ]

having considering performance and bugs,I did choose jtds over MS driver in previous versions.
  9. License[ Go to top ]

I agree with @Max...I better license will be welcome. That's one of the reasons why I don't use the Microsoft JDBC driver.
  10. worried about licence[ Go to top ]

You guys are using Microsoft SQL Server. A closed proprietary non distributable piece of software and the little bit needed to connect to it is what is worrying you?
  11. Re: worried about licence[ Go to top ]

You guys are using Microsoft SQL Server. A closed proprietary non distributable piece of software and the little bit needed to connect to it is what is worrying you?
    I can make better opensource software that uses various JDBC drivers if Im allowed to bundle them - i.e. they can work out of the box instead of requiring mundane downloading and configuration. Btw. Microsoft actually provides SQL Server Express which is ok to use freely for some scenarios.