Apache Tapestry 5.1 final release now available

Discussions

News: Apache Tapestry 5.1 final release now available

1. Tapestry 5.1.0.5 adds new features, keeps backwards compatibility The stable release for Tapestry 5.1, release 5.1.0.5, is now available for download. Tapestry 5.1 includes a large number of improvements to the speed and scalability of Tapestry without sacrificing backwards compatibility. However, you should still consult the upgrade notes, which identify a couple of minor "gotchas". Major improvements from Tapestry 5.0 to Tapestry 5.1: * Performance optimizations that speed rendering of very complex pages, and reduce memory usage * Static JavaScript libraries will now be dynamically combined into a single request * Automatic GZIP compression of static and dynamic content, for clients that support it * Significant improvements to Tapestry's property expression language * Partial page updates (via Ajax) may now update multiple client-side Zones * Many new features and improvements to Tapestry template files * Improved client- and server-side validation of numeric input values * User's preferred locale is now encoded into the URL, rather than stored in a cookie * A new ProgressiveDisplay component for incremental page loading * Vastly improved Maven Quickstart Archetype * New Tapestry IoC features to make it easier to override services and contributions to service configurations * Many new localizations of validation messages * Component reference documentation now identifies events triggered by components * Really slick new client-side logging facility (based on Blackbird) * New API for URL rewriting (to provide improved control over Tapestry URLs) ... and many, many more bug fixes and improvements; full details are available in the release notes. Download Tapestry 5.1.0.5 Tapestry is also available via the central Maven repository: org.apache.tapestry tapestry-core 5.1.0.5

Threaded Messages (21)

2. Yawn! Just wondering if anyone out there dares to use this one-man project beast on a serious and reliable project. I won't bet hard dollars on Tapestry, and I know so many former Tapestry users who wouldn't either. Jan
  3. I won't bet hard dollars on Tapestry, and I know so many former Tapestry users who wouldn't either.

Jan
    I actually don't know if I would call myself a former Tapestry user but i indeed still using it with a lot of success and fun. Have a nice day.
  4. United Health Group[ Go to top ]

Well, I actually worked on a huge project that dumped Struts in preference for Tapestry. Having worked on that myself, I can say that I was rather impressed with it.
  5. Snooze Alert[ Go to top ]

A nice idea too late and too incompatible with the older 4.x versions. I would never use Tapestry again unless management forces me too.
  6. Re: Snooze Alert[ Go to top ]

A nice idea too late and too incompatible with the older 4.x versions. I would never use Tapestry again unless management forces me too.
    Struts 2 has backward compatibility problem too. Most framework that has gone into major revision has backward incompatibility. It's not a big deal.
  7. Re: Snooze Alert[ Go to top ]

Struts 2 has backward compatibility problem too. Most framework that has gone into major revision has backward incompatibility. It's not a big deal.
    I agree that most frameworks have some backward incompatibilities after some major release but this mostly happen exactly once during the lifetime of the framework. The issue many have with Tapestry is that at EVERY major release there are some serious backward compatibility problems. The transition form Tapestry 2 to Tapestry 3 resulted in huge backward compatibility problem. The same happened with the transition from Tapestry 3 to Tapestry 4. An then again from Tapestry 4 to Tapestry 5. And believe me, there is Tapestry 6 in the works that would follow the same pattern of backward compatibility issues. Now, for most people who wanted to reap the benefits of the latest release it literary meant rewriting the existing application from scratch. As you and I know, that activity costs money. And for serious companies it's not worth it. So many serious companies rightfully ignore Tapestry. Most of the current new Tapestry users are newbies wanting to write some "Hello world" apps or a hobby-like applications at home or students wanting to experiment with just anything. As far as I know no serious company uses Tapestry. Even at Formos where Howard is under payroll, he is not allowed to eat his own dog food. Regards, Jan
  8. Re: Snooze Alert[ Go to top ]

As far as I know no serious company uses Tapestry.
    Even at Formos where Howard is under payroll, he is not allowed to eat his own dog food.

Regards,

Jan
    http://tapestry.formos.com/ ? Formos are sponsoring Howard to present Q&A's on Tapestry (just read on his blog) ? Axe to grind ? - Simon
  9. Tapestry and Formos[ Go to top ]

Formos is an active supporter of Tapestry; all of our web application projects, internal and external, are now on Tapestry 5 (several were upgraded from Tapestry 4). The only work we don't do in T5 is one legacy application (in Tapestry 3) and some embedded applications that don't touch the web. We'll do applications using a specific technology if a customer demands it ... but we bid out all our projects using Tapestry, since that's the most effective tool available. Formos has been a major investor in open source, in the form of my salary over the last 18 months and the donation of hardware resources, i.e., http://tapestry.formos.com even prior to my joining the company. They've been great, and we've been building up some terrific internal frameworks on top of Tapestry as well. I'd also like to thank Egencia for their support ... they've funded several small projects that build on Tapestry. If you're interested in knowing more about Tapestry, Formos is sponsoring a live webinar on May 21st. I'll be presenting a 35 - 40 minute introduction to Tapestry 5, followed by live Q&A. I'll be focusing on the big-picture issues about what makes Tapestry useful, unique and fun. If you've been curious about what Tapestry is, or want a chance to ask a question about Tapestry directly, this is a great chance to do it! Click a link below to register for the Webinar: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/829996153 Thu, May 21, 2009 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM PDT In addition, Formos offers Tapestry training. Training is on-site and very hands on (I believe that people learn through their fingertips). It can also be customized to focus on your project's specific needs.
  10. Webinar Links[ Go to top ]

... sorry, switching back between two screens, I slightly munged the Webinar links. To register for the Webinar (I'll be presenting it twice in one day, to accommodate different time zones):
  11. Re: Tapestry and Formos[ Go to top ]

... but we bid out all our projects using Tapestry, since that's the most effective tool available.
    The most effective tool available? Did you mean that bloated Tapestry 5? Are you comfortable putting that label on Tapestry? Because I know the history of Tapestry has proved it to be rather the contrary. It is arguably the most unproductive and inflexible tool our world has known in the open source web framework space. Now, this argument is based on the fact that at every major release there is a whole rewrite. If I'm left with Tapestry as the only option, I'd rather use JSP. Jan
  12. Will Tapestry survive?[ Go to top ]

I wonder. Looking at traffic numbers on their mailing list, one can quickly see there is a drastic reduction in users. Even Howard himself has taken up a payroll job at a company called Formos. So new users beware, Tapestry, the one-man project is in danger. Jan
  13. Re: Will Tapestry survive?[ Go to top ]

So new users beware, Tapestry, the one-man project is in danger.

Jan
    Jan, you've stopped taking those tablets the nice doctor explicitly instructed you to take. You remember don't you ? The ones that stop those hallucinations you have. Are the lambs still screaming ?
  14. Re: Will Tapestry survive?[ Go to top ]

So new users beware, Tapestry, the one-man project is in danger.

Jan

Jan, you've stopped taking those tablets the nice doctor explicitly instructed you to take. You remember don't you ? The ones that stop those hallucinations you have. Are the lambs still screaming ?
    Hi Johana, Why are you insulting me? What have I done to you? Am I not free to express my opinions? I was rather expecting a wise response disputing what I've said but rather you chose the path to insult me. I'm disappointed. Jan
  15. Re: Will Tapestry survive?[ Go to top ]

Why are you insulting me? What have I done to you? Am I not free to express my opinions? I was rather expecting a wise response disputing what I've said but rather you chose the path to insult me. I'm disappointed.

Jan
    You complain that someone insults you yet all you do on here is insult other people's hard work that is available for free, and you've been doing that for 4+ years. You never say anything positive of complementary towards Tapestry, yet never provide any open source software of your own. As someone else asked "Axe to grind?" Keep taking the pills boy
  16. What happened with "Mark as noise" button? Without that these forums are starting to be totaly unusable.
  17. What happened with "Mark as noise" button? Without that these forums are starting to be totaly unusable.
    What makes this thread unusable? Is it because someone is expressing his sincere views? I pray that function doesn't come because then people like you would abuse it. Just like a dictator. Above all, that function would make the forums harder to read because you would have people behaving in a tit-for-tat fashion. Because if you mark Mr. A's response noisy, Mr. A would also target to mark your response noisy. Where would it end then? Maybe you should go create your own forum site. In that case you would be free to provide what you want. And remember, nobody is forcing you to read anything here. Jan
  18. What happened with "Mark as noise" button? Without that these forums are starting to be totaly unusable.

What makes this thread unusable? Is it because someone is expressing his sincere views? I pray that function doesn't come because then people like you would abuse it. Just like a dictator.
    Above all, that function would make the forums harder to read because you would have people behaving in a tit-for-tat fashion. Because if you mark Mr. A's response noisy, Mr. A would also target to mark your response noisy. Where would it end then?

Maybe you should go create your own forum site. In that case you would be free to provide what you want. And remember, nobody is forcing you to read anything here.

Jan
    I'm not saying that this thread is noise, what I say is that there should be a way to filter out and mark offensive or off topic messages. Not messages where someone "express his feelings", but messages where someone is insulting somebody else or using ad hominem attacks on somebody. This functionality used to exist in old theserverside forums. In this case I would mark as noisy message where someone wants to give you some pills, as this is not something people want to read when come to this forum.
  19. Congratulation on the new Release. Main issue with compatibility break is not upgrading of software. Truth is most application developped with one version of a framework won't move to the next version whatever the framework is. Real issue here is the lack of books. Books don't upgrade as easily as software and each time compatibility break occur, whole bunch of Library have to be trashed and replaced, which is why I stopped following Tapestry. Now regarding the mark as noise button, yes I would like it as well, because even if people have "feelings to express", I don't care about those regarding tools I use to work. Flames should be avoidable, for me, as a reader. And the damn Post a reply button should work with Opera, yet it does not.
  20. See also[ Go to top ]

http://www.infoq.com/articles/tapestry5-intro
  21. Tapestry is a component-oriented framework that is powerful and easy to use. We've used Tapestry4 for several projects and have been pretty satisfied. So far, one relatively small project with Tapestry 5, but the experience has been quite compelling. Whenever I work in Action/View frameworks, I am reminded of how much I take for granted with Tapestry. Regards John Hurst Wellington, New Zealand
  22. Congratulations on the new release guys, looks like a lot of work has gone into the new release, and has a strong feature set. regards Malcolm Edgar