OpenFaces - New Version of QuipuKit JSF Library Goes Open Source

Discussions

News: OpenFaces - New Version of QuipuKit JSF Library Goes Open Source

1. TeamDev announces a major 2.0 update to the JSF components library formerly known as QuipuKit. With this major update the product will be released under dual licensed model: open-source (LGPL) and commercial. The change in the product licensing is reflected in the new product name - OpenFaces. There are two main reasons for us to go open-source with the product: * A larger number of developers can now use our library in their development. * OpenFaces is being used in a new framework for web and enterprise development we are currently working on. This product will be also released as open-source. The new framework is based on OSGi, JSF, Spring, and Hibernate, and will be officially announced later this summer. Stay tuned to our announcements. OpenFaces 2.0 contains fully revised codebase of QuipuKit 1.6, and includes all the components previously available. In addition, it introduces an Ajax framework and a series of new components such as DayTable, PopupMenu, Window, Spinner as well as other new components and features. See these components and features in the on-line demo. We will be constantly extending the library with new components and features, and believe that a joint community effort will make OpenFaces a strong basis for any JSF project. Of course, the previous version is going to be supported according to agreements with our customers, but we don't expect significant updates to its codebase, and encourage existing customers to migrate. You surely can count on our support during this process. Currently OpenFaces 2.0 is in pre-release stage. The purpose of this Early Access Program (EAP) release is to show the product to community and gather feedback before we freeze the public API of version 2.0. The production 2.0 release is planned for June 2009. We welcome everyone to contribute and participate in OpenFaces development. Please don't hesitate to post your feedback at the product forum or email us.
  2. Congratulations.[ Go to top ]

Congrats guys! Great job!
  3. Comparision with Richfaces[ Go to top ]

How you caompare this with JBOSS Richfaces? I think Look&Feel and performance is better in Richfaces.
  4. How you caompare this with JBOSS Richfaces? I think Look&Feel and performance is better in Richfaces.
    We're not aware of any significant performance problems, and OpenFaces should be on a par with RichFaces in this respect. Though if you're aware of any performance problems, we'll be glad to see your feedback on our support forum. As to the RichFaces comparison, OpenFaces provides such capabilities as client-side Validation with its Validation Framework, the highly-customizable components such as DataTable, TreeTable, DayTable, Window, Confirmation and others. RichFaces surely has its own valuable unique features, though good news is that you can use these two libraries together and utilize the unique features of both.
  5. This looks pretty cool really. I played a little with the Window component and I must say that this looks pretty good. I tried the ModalDialog in RichFaces a while back, and it was okay but not really great. One question though; how well does this component library plays along with other component libraries? Can I use e.g. the Window component while the rest of my pages uses RichFaces and Tomahawk components?
  6. One question though; how well does this component library plays along with other component libraries? Can I use e.g. the Window component while the rest of my pages uses RichFaces and Tomahawk components?
    OpenFaces has been tested and is compatible with RichFaces. As to Tomahawk, OpenFaces is generally compatible with Tomahawk (we've checked it with version tomahawk12-1.1.8 last time), though we haven't performed the full testing yet, and there are some known problems currently. We'll update our plans for official Tomahawk support in our roadmap after the final 2.0 release. Anyway, if you face any critical compatibility problems, feel free to submit bugs to our issue tracking system so that we be able to prioritize them properly.
  7. Hey, Congratulations to TeamDev on this release. Is OpenFaces JSF 2.0 compatible? Are there any plans to ensure the OpenFaces Ajax framework conforms to the JSF 2.0 standard? See: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/edburns/archive/2008/02/jsf_20_update.html Our JSF plugin development team has been interested in QuipuKit for a while now. Going open source certainly helps us support the project. Thanks for your efforts! Ian -- Ian Hlavats JSFToolbox for Dreamweaver - Design JSF Pages Visually in Dreamweaver

8. Is OpenFaces JSF 2.0 compatible?

Are there any plans to ensure the OpenFaces Ajax framework conforms to the JSF 2.0 standard?
    We're not starting implementing the JSF 2.0 compatibility until the JSF 2.0 API is frozen and the final spec is released. But we consider JSF 2.0 support as a very important point and are definitely going to support it. We'll publish our plans in this respect after the final release of OpenFaces, which is due in about a month.
  9. Great[ Go to top ]

Tried with newest Richfaces & Seam.. Adorable & easy... It has no use with comparing with Richfaces, you can combine them :) Especially popup layer & layout tuning is very shine..
  10. Thank you guys for the positive responses! We hope that the project is going to be really good and useful for JSF developers. Do send to your feedback.
  11. I looked at the OpenFaces website and like it a lot because it has some things that RichFaces doesn't (e.g. TreeTable, DayTable, Chart, Confirmation Dialog: although I can use RichFaces ModalPanel to make a Confirmation Dialog, I prefer a component for that purpose ...).
    OpenFaces has been tested and is compatible with RichFaces.
    Is it possible for you to post the web application that you use to test the OpenFaces compatibility to RichFaces?
    The OpenFaces components are fully compatible with the JBoss Seam framework. The OpenFaces components have been tested to work with JBoss Seam version 2.0.
    So, I (and maybe many other people) like to see an example of using OpenFaces and RichFaces together and an example using OpenFaces, RichFaces and Seam. Thanks for a great JSF component set.
  12. Is it possible for you to post the web application that you use to test the OpenFaces compatibility to RichFaces? ...So, I (and maybe many other people) like to see an example of using OpenFaces and RichFaces together and an example using OpenFaces, >RichFaces and Seam.
    There's no downloadable demo for demonstrating the RichFaces compatibility yet, though you can check out the test application stored in SVN, which contains pages for manual testing of RichFaces compatibility. See the "SVN Version Control System" section in OpenFaces FAQ document for info on getting and building the project, and go to the "RichFaces Testing Pages" section of a deployed test application. Anyway, we'll also try to create another downloadable demo application in the future that would focus on demonstrating OpenFaces interoperation with RichFaces and Seam.
  13. Thank you guys for the positive responses!
    I think you deserve it. The project looks absolutely great. In my spare time I've been creating some JSF components too (for my own use), and although just creating a component is quite easy (contrary to popular belief), actually creating a set of components that are useful, easy to use and have sensible configuration options can be a little harder. OpenFaces seems to all of that, so kudos to you for achieving that. What I especially respect is that you explicitly thought about being compatible with other component libraries. It's all too easy to think that the whole world centers around your own magic component, but most other people probably don't share that enthusiasm, certainly not upfront.
  14. I too liked many components of it not present in RF, tree table is my favorite. RF skin is very good looking and RF itself is very stable. Best news is both of these are compatible. Great!!!