Schwartz: Will Java Create the World's Largest App Store?

Discussions

News: Schwartz: Will Java Create the World's Largest App Store?

1. Jonathan Schwartz speculates that the largest app store in the world will be a marketplace for Java applications in a continuum spanning from the simplest mobile devices to the richest Internet applications. Jonathan writes:
    ...that's what Project Vector is designed to deliver - Vector is a network service to connect companies of all sizes and types to the roughly one billion Java users all over the world. Vector (which we'll likely rename the Java Store), has the potential to deliver the world's largest audience to developers and businesses leveraging Java and JavaFX. What kinds of companies might be interested? If you talk to a Fortune 500 company or a startup, pretty much everyone craves access to consumers - which is the one problem we've solved with the Java platform. Most folks don't think of Sun as a consumer company, and largely we're not, but our runtimes reach more consumers than just about any other company on earth. That ubiquity has obvious value to search companies, but it's also quite valuable to banks looking to sign up new accounts, sports franchises looking for new viewers, media companies and news organizations looking for new subscribers - basically, any Java developer looking to escape the browser to reach a billion or so consumers.
    The post and accompanying video dwell into more details about what will make Vector/Java Store a viable, profitable venture.
  2. All talk[ Go to top ]

Yeah yeah. Java mobile's been around forever. Nothing much happened with it in the mobile space until the IPhone happened. Let's stop talking about it and just do it. We can do with less speculation and more "getting things done". I'll believe it when I see it. Cheers, Marc
  3. Re: All talk[ Go to top ]

Agreed. Way for Sun to come to the party 3 years late. They've sat on and squandered Java for how many years instead of delivering the rich and ubiquitous platform that it has (had) the potential to. Just look at the huge slash JavaFX has made... Wait, JavaF-what? Android is what Java ME should have driven for, and that's not even really Java.
  4. Sun -> Oracle -> ?[ Go to top ]

It's easy to feel skeptical in response to Schwartz's announcement. Then again, the iPhone AppStore wasn't Apple's first foray into consumer vending. Anyone remember Ian Diary's efforts to sell Macintosh software via its pre-Internet service? It took them years to get it right. Good for Sun to get started and to keep trying. The strange thing about the announcement is the focus on application software. We were just talking last week about how the trend is to build desktop applications using JavaScript and Ajax (http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=54595). How will the new store deal with these? The bigger issue for me: Is this Sun's announcement or Oracle's? When Oracle bought BEA they did a good job at explaining the roadmap of integrating WebLogic, AquaLogic, and the others. I'm waiting for Oracle to present its roadmap for Sun. -Frank Cohen http://www.pushtotest.com
  5. Schwartz: Not on planet Earth[ Go to top ]

It seems Jonathan is still living in the 90s, Sun's dead, they we one of the most amazing companies and I thank them for what they've done for us but I'd have more faith in George W Bush than something coming from Sun these days. Java ME is all wrong to start with, most phones far more powerful than the PCs were were using back in the early days of Java SE, why do we have to mess around with a restricted version of Java to program on mobile phones, just give us the same mobile libraries in JSE. First there was Symbian, then Apple. Sun is not going to be next, they lost the ability to innovate before Symbian, they could have been today's Apple, Amazon or Google but they're not and now they never will be. -John-
  6. I don't think the problem is with Java ME. It's rather with the mobile companies in the USA that have been preventing Java ME from getting to its full potential or for it to evolve by feedback. While CLDC or MIDP may be a bit limited, combined with Location API, Bluetooth API, and WMA, you have a fairly comprehensive API that a developer can tap into to write some really good apps. However, if there is no carrier that'll support the APIs (most phones supported just CLDC and MIDP) or lock some of the APIs (such as location API), then what can Java do? Moreover, Java has to create a lowest common denominator for a multitude of screens, sizes, and memory unlike Apple, which has just one model (or minor variants of it). So, blaming Java for the failure of its Mobile Edition to me is misplaced anger. While I agree that they can market it better, it's not entirely up to them. Asian and European markets are much more advanced in creating Java Apps for mobile devices than USA because of the more open mobile industry there.
  7. basically, any Java developer looking to escape the browser to reach a billion or so consumers.

Java may indeed have a huge reach, and Jonathan is touting it, perhaps correctly. However, the chatting up of Sun as *the* company to reach over a billion customers... I must ask: "why do we need a company to do that?" Even bigger than Sun is the power, accessibility and ubiquity of the Web itself (with an estimated almost 2 billion with access). There will always be a place for native applications, but the greater reach and scope involve the programming of applications based on Web frameworks and technologies, not native Java.

Sorry, Jon. But I'm going to have to step past you into an even bigger market that is growing constantly and not controlled by App stores or Sun/Oracle agendas. Mark my words: the future of Apps is the mobile Web, not native Java - no matter its ubiquity.

Jens
    Genuitec
    powering MobiOne
  8. As a side bar, Genuitec has released MobiOne with an improved iPhone simulator and Palm Pre simulator. Best, Jens