Jackson JSON Open Source Processor 1.0 Released

Discussions

News: Jackson JSON Open Source Processor 1.0 Released

1. FasterXML is pleased to announce the 1.0 release of the Jackson open source (ASL) JSON processor. Jackson provides three ways to consume/produce JSON with Java — JAXB-like object binding, StAX-like low-level streaming API, and a DOM-like tree model. Jackson aims for a good combination of correctness, functionality, performance (it's fast), and developer ergonomics with well-defined extensibility/configuration (e.g., custom date formats for some fields with object binding) and some extra goodies like an available JAX-RS provider. Downloads are available from the project site at the Codehaus.
  2. Any plans on integrating this with Groovy JSON builder?
  3. Any plans on integrating this with Groovy JSON builder?
    This is probably something Groovy folks would know more about, but there is some support within Jackson data mapper to be able to bind to/from Groovy objects (see [http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JACKSON-103]). So I think this should be possible. Other JVM-based languages use Jackson already (Clojure, I think someone was using it from JRuby). Groovy builder could also choose to just use streaming parts, for more control over binding, if there are some "groovyisms" that are easier to support that way.
  4. Couple of questions: 1) LGPL or AL ... AL = Apache License? In summary, is it free for commercial use? 2) Is it OSGi friendly? (if unknown I don't mind looking in to it, sometimes it's just quicker to ask is all) Thanks.
  5. Couple of questions:

1) LGPL or AL ... AL = Apache License? In summary, is it free for commercial use?

2) Is it OSGi friendly? (if unknown I don't mind looking in to it, sometimes it's just quicker to ask is all)

Thanks.
    Yes, yes and yes. :-) That is: dual-licensed under LGPL and ASL (pick one, use it; contributions must be under both). And official jars are built as OSGi bundles, tested using Felix. Help with OSGi integration would be appreciated by dev team if issues are found, but since only dependencies are to JDK manifest is rather simple. You are welcome!
  6. Couple of questions:

1) LGPL or AL ... AL = Apache License? In summary, is it free for commercial use?

2) Is it OSGi friendly? (if unknown I don't mind looking in to it, sometimes it's just quicker to ask is all)

Thanks.

Yes, yes and yes. :-)

That is: dual-licensed under LGPL and ASL (pick one, use it; contributions must be under both). And official jars are built as OSGi bundles, tested using Felix. Help with OSGi integration would be appreciated by dev team if issues are found, but since only dependencies are to JDK manifest is rather simple.

You are welcome!
    Fantastic, after reading the home page it looks like just what I need - I'll take a closer look over the next few days. More than happy to help you out with the OSGi side of things if you need it and I'll be sure to feed back anything significant I discover. :)
  7. Fantastic, after reading the home page it looks like just what I need
    Ya, this is a nice framework. We use it in Resteasy. Jersey and CXF do as well. -- Bill Burke http://bill.burkecentral.com
  8. What about Jettison[ Go to top ]

Jersey and CXF do as well.

--
    Bill Burke
    http://bill.burkecentral.com
    Doesn't CXF use Jettison? Jackson and Jettison seem to have similar functionality. What is the difference?
  9. Re: What about Jettison[ Go to top ]

Jersey and CXF do as well.

--
    Bill Burke
    http://bill.burkecentral.com

Doesn't CXF use Jettison? Jackson and Jettison seem to have similar functionality. What is the difference?
    Two are actually quite different. Jettison exposes JSON via Stax API (i.e. converts to XML, at API level). It uses json.org's reference parser/generator. This allows rest of processing pipeline to work as if content was XML to begin with, but requires use of specific conventions for mapping between JSON and XML. Jackson is a native JSON processor where the logical model is not XML infoset. Jettison is useful for quickly adding support for systems that already use Stax API, such as CXF and JAX-RS as well. But it also means that one has to use convention (which results in JSON used being bit weird in many cases) and introduces some overhead. It also makes some object mapping tasks more difficult, due to extra conversion which may lose pertinent information. While I know that Resteasy and Jersey use Jackson, I don't know if CXF yet uses it by default. One should be able to use Jackson via JAX-RS (which is how it is used with Resteasy, Jersey) for CXF JAX-RS support.
  10. Hi, was just wondering where I can find the binary download of 1.0.1? Thanks in advance.
  11. Nevermind! I opened my eyes. :)
  12. :-) Yeah, should be at Codehaus and in Maven repos. And I think some OSGi repositories plus SpringSource package their own bundles too. For what it's worth, 1.1 is getting ready, might be released as early as next week (with support for JAXB annotations, JSON schema generation, ability to use fields in addition to getters/setters).