Larry Ellison makes surprise JavaOne appearance

Discussions

News: Larry Ellison makes surprise JavaOne appearance

1. It was strange enough to see Scott McNealy take center stage at the JavaOne opening general session. But when he called Larry Ellison up to the stage, I knew I was entering the Land of Oz. Nevertheless, Larry performed well, talked about the ongoing discussions between Sun and Oracle, and the importance of Java in past and future Oracle products. In particular, Ellison noted that with the introduction of JavaFX, developers no longer had to fight with Ajax technology, and could put their efforts behind a superior Java-based UI set of APIs and tools. He noted that he was encouraging groups within Sun to implement JavaFX user interfaces on their products, such as OpenOffice. He also plans to implement JavaFX in a variety of Oracle applications over the next several years.
  2. According to Larry.
    "Going to JavaFX is going to let us build fantastic UIs in Java, and we hope, we encourage the OpenOffice group to quickly build their version of a spread sheet or a word app using JavaFX".
    I don't believe 1 second about JavaFX/OpenOffice wedding. There are better priorities.
  3. According to Larry.

"Going to JavaFX is going to let us build fantastic UIs in Java, and we hope, we encourage the OpenOffice group to quickly build their version of a spread sheet or a word app using JavaFX".

I don't believe 1 second about JavaFX/OpenOffice wedding. There are better priorities.
    I hear you, but I am not so sure. I think it's a competitive need. The Ajax kludge is clearly not the answer for RIA in the long run ... but the browser is equally clearly the channel. I think that leaves us with Flex, JavaFX, or ... Microsoft Silverlight as tools with which to deliver our products. So perhaps Oracle is serious about developing JavaFX. Microsoft will follow their usual questionable practices to sabotage anyone using Silverlight outside of their circle. I don't imagine Flex will hold ground for long once a professional level version of Silverlight is released. So ... maybe Oracle actually has motivation to bring JavaFX to a professional level also? Also I recall that Oracle did a lot of work on JSF - whether we like the result or not is another question ;-) So they have had an interest historically in improving Java-based human interfaces ...
  4. Looking at the low popularity of Sliverlight, you will know how difficult to request end users to install extra stuffs. Browser and just standard browser! That's the reason for Ajax.
  5. According to Larry.

I hear you, but I am not so sure. I think it's a competitive need.

The Ajax kludge is clearly not the answer for RIA in the long run ... but the browser is equally clearly the channel. I think that leaves us with Flex, JavaFX, or ... Microsoft Silverlight as tools with which to deliver our products.
    +1 for supporting for JavaFX (why not proposing/developping little games in top of JavaFX similarly to one "idea" of mine: Why not a game distribution on top of NetBeans or Eclipse ?). But, for OpenOffice, JavaFX is not IMHO the best priority. JavaFX + OpenOffice remember me Network Computer from Larry... I think OpenOffice priorities are: - improve UI and user experience, see my post: OpenOffice lacks a little to take into account the user experience - improve performance (that could be better), - give a better Office compatibility - clean the OpenOffice web site in order to give adequate information. I would like, for example, that javadocs-like documentation could be published on this website in order to learn better about how to build OOo extension and which service I am able to call. - think about JS VM inclusion into OpenOffice (V8 engine ?) and/or about Webkit inclusion into OpenOffice: JS VM for performance and Webkit in order to able to define UI (within extension as web page). - etc. Regards, Dominique http://www.jroller.com/dmdevito
  6. that line of thought is on a lot of our minds, I think what technology is to become (defacto) standard in providing cross platform technology, with near desktop like gui interaction (openoffice like apps should be no problem), with the added benefit the web has to offer(collaboration, up to date information etc...) that would leave only a fraction of programs to be still developed in C/C++ . i am not too sure whether ajax/javascript/html5 and further developments will NOT be good enough to accomplish that goal.
  7. that line of thought is on a lot of our minds, I think

what technology is to become (defacto) standard in providing cross platform technology, with near desktop like gui interaction (openoffice like apps should be no problem), with the added benefit the web has to offer(collaboration, up to date information etc...) that would leave only a fraction of programs to be still developed in C/C++.
    EcmaScript v4 was planned for important language improvement: read Proposed ECMAScript 4th Edition – Language Overview (revised 23 October 2007). Here are some details: "" ES4 is compatible with ES3 and adds important facilities for programming in the large (classes, interfaces, namespaces, packages, program units, optional type annotations, and optional static type checking and verification), evolutionary programming and scripting (structural types, duck typing, type definitions, and multimethods), data structure construction (parameterized types, getters and setters, and meta-level methods), control abstraction (proper tail calls, iterators, and generators), and introspection (type meta-objects and stack marks). ES4 also upgrades ES3 in small ways by fixing bugs, improving support for regular expressions and Unicode, supplying richer libraries, and adding lightweight facilities like type-discriminating exception handlers, constant bindings, proper block scoping, destructuring binding and assignment, succinct function expressions and definitions, and array comprehensions. "" JS was planned to get some features Java already has, like classes, interfaces, namespaces, packages, (optional) static type checking, unicode... But this v4 has been abandoned, both a good news and a bad news - otherwise, much of us (developers) would have jumped on JS-only bandwagon: "4th Edition was abandoned, due to political differences concerning language complexity, with some of the work forming the basis of Fifth Edition and some forming the basis of ECMAScript Harmony" (from wikipedia).
  8. It was strange enough to see Scott McNealy take center stage at the JavaOne opening general session. But when he called Larry Ellison up to the stage, I knew I was entering the Land of Oz. Nevertheless, Larry performed well, talked about the ongoing discussions between Sun and Oracle, and the importance of Java in past and future Oracle products.

In particular, Ellison noted that with the introduction of JavaFX, developers no longer had to fight with Ajax technology, and could put their efforts behind a superior Java-based UI set of APIs and tools. He noted that he was encouraging groups within Sun to implement JavaFX user interfaces on their products, such as OpenOffice. He also plans to implement JavaFX in a variety of Oracle applications over the next several years.
    JavaFX...WTF? How the heck would JavaFX coding for the front end of a JEE based backend system compare to using one of the fancy Java Web Frameworks out there like Wicket, and one of those fancy JavaScript libraries like jquery, etc. By the way, I hear HTML 5 and the new JavaScript version are supposed to be the new hot couples for the browser space. What I would really want to know from Larry is what is to be the fate of Glassfish and MySQL, along with the fate of the other Glassfish derived technologies?
  9. Surprise? Hardly![ Go to top ]

So, Larry Ellison visiting JavaOne after aquiring Sun was a surprise? Eh? It would be totally unreal if he DIDN'T visit!
  10. Re: Surprise? Hardly![ Go to top ]

So, Larry Ellison visiting JavaOne after aquiring Sun was a surprise? Eh? It would be totally unreal if he DIDN'T visit!
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Of course he'll be there, given timing. Not being there would have been far more interesting observation.
  11. So now JavaOne has stand-up comedians too! ;-)
  12. While JavaOne did a good job at showing a sustained product roadmap for Java, there was no talk about how Oracle’s purchase of Sun Microsystems will impact the roadmap. That could be because of the expediency at Oracle moved to buy Sun. One Sun executive told me the executives talked but did very little diligence. I wonder who will be the Lewis and Clark at Oracle to discover what they bought? It didn’t take long for Ellison to show that Oracle needs a better education on the Java ecosystem. For example, Ellison said, “Thank you for JavaFX because lots of developers will not have to program in Ajax again.” Ellison also commented that Oracle sees possibilities in JavaFX versions of OpenOffice. Neither initiative seemed to come from Sun and would be significant if realized. -Frank Cohen http://www.pushtotest.com
  13. JAVA Fx is step in a right direction. RIA is future, and AJAX has limitations. Microsoft, Adobe and Sun(Oracle) have realized it. JAVAFx may be not mature, but Future is definitely their. Mobile Platform and WEB applications has immense potential for it. Future of JAVAFx should focus on 1. Coming out with rich components for web like animated charts, web widgets(Advanced Grids, normal web-form components with richness and anu=imations) 2. Reusing Or Integrating with Framework like JSF2 for template based web development. Adobe Flex and Air are highly compatible. 3. Easy to create custom animated components for web. Drag-Drop and install for desktop from Web-Start has got great potential!!! I agree JAVA Fx is still improving and has to improve more to be adapted for serious Enterprise Web development, but no way to deny it that work needs to be invested into it if SUN wants to survive in Web and desktop space.
  14. JAVA Fx is step in a right direction.
    RIA is future, and AJAX has limitations.

Microsoft, Adobe and Sun(Oracle) have realized it.

JAVAFx may be not mature, but Future is definitely their. Mobile Platform and WEB applications has immense potential for it.
    While AJAX may not fit everywhere, and HTML prodives nowadays the 'canvas' element quite inline with Java2D which is a JavaFX foundation, is JavaFX compilable into JS to draw into a 'canvas' element ? And more than that, is JavaFX compilable on top of HTML+JS (to follow the GWT successful approach) ? Any link about that ? Thanks.