UNIX Turns 40: Past, Present and Future of a Revolutionary OS

Discussions

News: UNIX Turns 40: Past, Present and Future of a Revolutionary OS

1. The large majority of enterprise class servers runs on either UNIX or some variant of this operating system. This article looks at UNIX's history and evolution, and speculates on its future direction and areas of application.
  2. In the early 70s Ritchie and Thompson wrote: "We hope that users of Unix will find that the most important characteristics of the system are its simplicity, elegance, and ease of use." How true then and even more so nowadays... Nikita Ivanov. GridGain - Open Cloud Platform
  3. "UNIX" the best piece of software human race has ever seen, period. Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie are my heroes. RJ.
  4. Futuer is Open[ Go to top ]

The future is open and Unix is working :)
  5. i hope to see in future some GUI based(not linux type) something powerful GUI features like Windows XP or recently released Vista ...... I think if the power of unix os and GUI of windows can come together then that will be a festival day for all developers as well as users. regards, Martin
  6. i hope to see in future some GUI based(not linux type) something powerful GUI features like Windows XP or recently released Vista ......

I think if the power of unix os and GUI of windows can come together then that will be a festival day for all developers as well as users.

regards,
    Martin
    Such a system is already available, it's called Mac OS X.
  7. i hope to see in future some GUI based(not linux type) something powerful GUI features like Windows XP or recently released Vista ......

I think if the power of unix os and GUI of windows can come together then
    Linux has had good GUI support for some years now. "*Recently* released vista" ? Huh. Is life good under the stone ?
  8. i hope to see in future some GUI based(not linux type) something powerful GUI features like Windows XP or recently released Vista ......

I think if the power of unix os and GUI of windows can come together then

Linux has had good GUI support for some years now.
    "*Recently* released vista" ? Huh.

Is life good under the stone ?
    +1 I don't think any OS should be aspiring to emulate Vista, - your world is obviously very small. I'd recommend having a look at the latest release of Ubuntu (Jaunty), - it knocks the pants off of any of the windows based OSs both in terms of UI and stability.