Discussions

News: Postgres Plus Advanced Server 8.3R2 Released

1. EnterpriseDB has announced the latest version of Postgres Plus Advanced Server. This major release features the company's fifth-generation Oracle compatibility technology, which enables more companies to move more Oracle applications more easily to the EnterpriseDB database. In addition, the new "Infinite Cache" provides massive scalability at low cost by leveraging commodity hardware and eliminating custom programming. The deeper Oracle compatibility allows for a greater number of Oracle users to move their database to a lower cost alternative. The previous generations allowed stored procedures and packages written in PL/SQL to be moved to Postgres Plus Advanced Server without modification. In this latest release, the compatibility has moved beyond simple syntax support to more subtle transactional behaviors. This now enables applications using Oracle as a backend to use Postgres Plus with even fewer changes. Infinite Cache allows application to leverage the power of a distributed memory cache without the overhead over writing code to synchronize the cache with the database. Infinite Cache provides a 10-20X performance gain on database performance in read-mostly workloads common in today's Web 2.0 landscape. You can learn more about Postgres Plus Advanced Server at http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/postgres_plus_as/overview.do or you can download Postgres Plus Advanced Server at http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/postgres_plus_as/download.do
  2. Oracle should buy EnterpriseDB because they are the real enemy for them and not MySQL/SUN. By the way is not releated to the article but I think Java should be already an open stadard as an ISO and not be in control anymore with the JCP or SUN/Oracle or one company. Oracle will just loose money with this purchase. Better Oracle should think twice and buy better EnterpriseDB and other middleware stuff that helps to their Database business. I have seen another companies that lost focus on what they are good at and they suddenly crash.
  3. Oracle should buy EnterpriseDB because they are the real enemy for them and not MySQL/SUN.

By the way is not releated to the article but I think Java should be already an open stadard as an ISO and not be in control anymore with the JCP or SUN/Oracle or one company. Oracle will just loose money with this purchase. Better Oracle should think twice and buy better EnterpriseDB and other middleware stuff that helps to their Database business.

I have seen another companies that lost focus on what they are good at and they suddenly crash.
    I agree. I think Oracle will not realize what they have actually bought until it's too late for them. Open source software, and a hardware systems unit may end up giving Oracle acid reflux. I can't see how Oracle can maintain the support of legions of Java developers without resorting to their basic instincts of charging the heck out everyone for the most basic of installs of their products while at the same time, putting mysql, the glassfish application server, and its derivative products out to pasture to fend for themselves. Larry Ellison recently mentioned that the margins from open source businesses is too small. So you know what that means. I see Frankenstein products coming out of Oracle with the purchase of Sun and their techs, where Oracle will be actively meshing everything thing together in an effort to create uber products which will be all things to all customers, and hence result in Java and it's derivative techs becoming less open and interoperable with other techs from other companies. Let's wait and see though.
  4. ... or is that still on the TODO list?
  5. This version introduces basic level support for generated keys. Right now it supports returning all columns and columns by name, however it does not support returning columns by index.
  6. Can someone explain to me whats is the relationship of postGres TO enterpriseDB TO oracle. I have been a mysql user and the recent oracle sun mess has left me to look for another open source enterprise class DB. But postGres site is so confusing that i have no idea what is enterpriseDB and whats the opracle compatibility they talk about.
  7. EnterpriseDB is the largest commercial company behind PostgreSQL. Our product, Postgres Plus Advanced Server adds Oracle compatibility to PostgreSQL which allows you to run your Oracle SQL and PL/SQL without changing your code. This lets you move to another database without undertaking a major migration project. This link best describes EnterpriseDB's relationship with the PostgreSQL community http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/postgresql.do