Discussions

News: Eclipse Galileo Release Is Now Available

1. Eclipse Galileo Release Is Now Available (22 messages)

The Galileo release, the annual Eclipse release, is now available for download. This year the release train includes 33 project and over 24 million LOC. You can download now at eclipse.org/galileo. Some of the new features in Galileo include: - Support for Mac Cocoa 32 and 64 bit. - PHP Development Tools (PDT) support for the new PHP 5.3 language specification. - Release of the Memory Analyzer tool for helping to reduce memory consumption of Java applications. - Updates to Equinox to support the draft OSGi 4.2 specification. - Release of Xtext, a new project for creating Domain Specific Languages (DSL). Plus much much more. More details are available at eclipse.org/galileo

Threaded Messages (22)

2. Still missing some key features[ Go to top ]

SVN, Maven... Sure there are plugins, but non really do the job well.
  3. The Subclipse (svn) and Eclipse IAM (mvn) plugins are decent. However, I'd like to see true hierarchical project support.
  4. Re: Still missing some key features[ Go to top ]

Try TFS and VS.Net for a bit. Your outlook will change.
  5. Try TFS and VS.Net for a bit. Your outlook will change.
    I've worked on Ms Visual Studio and .Net, and now I work prevalently in java. Of course I'm a fan of Eclipse, but TFS and VS.Net are much better and complete.
  6. Try IDEA[ Go to top ]

You should try Intellij Idea then, it's much more closer to VS.NET than Eclipse. Or maybe Netbeans would fit better. But Eclipse (with pros and cons), is quite a different beast.
  7. Re: Try IDEA[ Go to top ]

You should try Intellij Idea then, it's much more closer to VS.NET than Eclipse.
    I had heard IntelliJ was better than Eclipse.
  8. Re: Try IDEA[ Go to top ]

You should try Intellij Idea then, it's much more closer to VS.NET than Eclipse.

I had heard IntelliJ was better than Eclipse.
    Clearly not everyone agrees with that. I just read this on Dzone's FP: http://jdevelopment.nl/java/intellij-ide-wanted-love/
  9. Re: Try IDEA[ Go to top ]

I had heard IntelliJ was better than Eclipse. So that would make Eclipse closer to VS.Net.
  10. Try TFS and VS.Net for a bit. Your outlook will change.

I've worked on Ms Visual Studio and .Net, and now I work prevalently in java.
    Of course I'm a fan of Eclipse, but TFS and VS.Net are much better and complete.
    LOL. I've used both for years. Done VB since '94.
    but TFS and VS.Net are much better and complete.
    There are things better about them. But not better and more complete as a whole. Definitely not. Of course, I am not saying Eclipse is perfect. Honestly, it is tough to compare apples with apples here. So YMMV. Most recent issue - I cannot see the contents of some files in TFS from my machine- I can when i log into someone else's pc. I have done everything (reinstall vs.net & TF explorer, google, discussion boards, "bless out" things) but reinstall Windows. To no avail.
  11. Congrats to Eclipse on yet another release train delivery!

The amount of work that goes into these releases and then the adoption by the world is not insignificant.

To those who are always looking for advanced tooling or support, I offer the reminder that Eclipse, while functional in many ways, is not intended to be an end-product or complete solution. These release trains are intended to provide extensible baselines for modification by individuals, companies or commercial offerings (such as MyEclipse, Instantiations products, Oracle tooling, IBM tools, etc.). That's why members of the Eclipse ecosystem get excited about these major releases. It provides a code base for everyone to satisfy their unique needs or as valuable blocks in their value-added offerings. The strengthening of the ecosystem is the goal of Eclipse, and why the Foundation exists.

Congratulations again to the Foundation, committers, commercial companies and hobbyists who all made the release possible. Great job!

Jens
    Genuitec

p.s. You can download Eclipse Galileo and other project here, if the Eclipse.org site is swamped.
  12. Comment Spam.
  13. Eclipse guys should learn marketing from NetBeans... After every NetBeans release, you go to "What's new" page and see all the interesting additions in the release, grouped by modules. I've tried to find similar thing for Eclipse 3.5. After googling a lot, I haven't found anything interesting. Looks like there are many new features, but they are rather at Eclipse core platform, so they may be interesting for Eclipse-based products developers. For typical Java developer there seems to be nothing interesting in Galileo... What's more, the basic things I was was looking for, like marking java sources as "test classes" (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=224708) is still not implemented. Looks like there is completely no reason to switch to Galileo :(
  14. Please see: http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.5-200906111540/eclipse-news.html
  15. We too very much congratulate the Eclipse community on another very successful release train. Jens, we wholeheartedly agree with your comments and would like to point out that when commercial vendors like Instantiations and MyEclipse, and others that add to the success and depth of the Eclipse ecosystem, stay current with the annual release train, the many thousands of organizations that have come to rely on Eclipse can trust that each June this will happen. Instantiations is pleased to announce that our products have all been updated with Eclipse 3.5 and Galileo support. Learn more here. (Link to http://www.instantiations.com/press/release/090624.html) Mark Johnson Instantiations
  16. Comment Spam.
  17. Jens, we wholeheartedly agree with your comments and would like to point out that when commercial vendors like Instantiations and MyEclipse, and others that add to the success and depth of the Eclipse ecosystem, stay current with the annual release train, the many thousands of organizations that have come to rely on Eclipse can trust that each June this will happen.
    I agree with that. What I don't understand why MyEclipse has adopted this pattern of releasing a major MyEclipse version based on the old Eclipse release just days before the release of a new Eclipse release. They did this last year and they did this again this year. MyEclipse 7.5 based on Eclipse 3.4 was released just days before this 3.5 (Galileo) release. It wasn't always like that though, in the old days they would track even the milestones very closely and although I admit that was rather overkill, a 180 turn to not support a new Eclipse release for at least some 6 months, maybe more is the other end of the extreme. Why not just skip the milestone support, but join the release train for the GA version?
  18. Jens, we wholeheartedly agree with your comments and would like to point out that when commercial vendors like Instantiations and MyEclipse, and others that add to the success and depth of the Eclipse ecosystem, stay current with the annual release train, the many thousands of organizations that have come to rely on Eclipse can trust that each June this will happen.

I agree with that. What I don't understand why MyEclipse has adopted this pattern of releasing a major MyEclipse version based on the old Eclipse release just days before the release of a new Eclipse release.

They did this last year and they did this again this year. MyEclipse 7.5 based on Eclipse 3.4 was released just days before this 3.5 (Galileo) release. It wasn't always like that though, in the old days they would track even the milestones very closely and although I admit that was rather overkill, a 180 turn to not support a new Eclipse release for at least some 6 months, maybe more is the other end of the extreme.

Why not just skip the milestone support, but join the release train for the GA version?
    Yeah, very disappointed with MyEclipse.
  19. First of all I had to download 190mb of plugins to create a usable version of Eclipse (including svn+maven+spring+jbosstools+etc+whatever). When I finished I had to reconfigure all my projects. After that I came to the conclusion that the new WTP server deployments sucks like an inverted hurricane! My goodness, deploy doesn`t do sh*t when (for Eclipse) nothing has changed in my files. But why (since galileo) should that be a limitation for redeployment? After wasting a whole day the only conclusion is to congratulate Eclipse with another version of Eclipse that brakes more functionality than it fixes.
  20. Eclipse gets better with every release, but never seems to quite get there. The interface still harks back to Visual Age, which was quirky but very productive once you got over the quirkiness. Eclipse somehow managed to retain the quirkiness while losing the productivity, like the visual designer (recently added back in; sort of). Configuring a web project is murder unless you stick your files exactly where Eclipse expects them to be; break the conventions and you are back to vi. And it is so darn hard to learn! I use JDeveloper for my day-to-day work. Previously, I used IntelliJ, NetBeans, Visual Age, Kawa, Visual Cafe (tells you how long I've been around :-) I never had to use a manual to learn those! And can we PLEASE have a way of rating plug-ins? There are 30 different plug-ins for JavaScript editing, plus a JavaScript perspective. Do you know how long it took me to figure this out????
  21. Eclipse somehow managed to retain the quirkiness while losing the productivity, like the visual designer (recently added back in; sort of).
    Eclipse has a fast and productive editor, very nice plugins, nice tools. Seems that you can't use Eclipse for some reason.
    Configuring a web project is murder unless you stick your files exactly where Eclipse expects them to be; break the conventions and you are back to vi.
    What are you speaking about? You can put sources where you want, compile classes where you want, add jars from where you want without any problem. I have very complex projects configured for Eclipse, and I never had to change structure. The proof of this is the eclipse maven plugin. Mavenized projects has their convention, but once you run mvn eclipse:eclipse you get a perfectly configured project for Eclipse. No mismatch. This is the best proof of Eclipse flexibility.
    And it is so darn hard to learn! I use JDeveloper for my day-to-day work. Previously, I used IntelliJ, NetBeans, Visual Age, Kawa, Visual Cafe (tells you how long I've been around :-)
    Sorry, I didn't see it was spam.
  22. Thank you[ Go to top ]

Thank you very much, Eclipse! Also thank you MyEclipse, Instantiations, etc. Please, keep working, guys, keep walking.... And all of you who use Eclipse in any form, report bugs, let them know your suggestions...
  23. http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/2009/06/25/100000-package-downloads-in-just-24-hours/