New book on the open enterprise

Discussions

News: New book on the open enterprise

1. New book on the open enterprise (15 messages)

Open Source SOA (http://www.manning.com/davis) describes how to build a complete SOA technology stack using popular enterprise open source products such as Apache Tuscany and Synapse, JBoss jBPM and Drools, and Esper, the open source CEP. Emphasis is placed on how to integrate these products and best leverage their features and capabilities. Many code samples and real-life case-studies are included.
  2. Didn't someone say SOA is dead[ Go to top ]

I seem to remember threads on TSS about SOA being dead. So why write a book about something that's dead? SOA is over hyped.
  3. The problem is that most people don't understand SOA in the least. Anyone thinking that SOA is dead doesn't know the first thing about software development. SOA is not SOAP, SOA is not ESBs, SOA is not WS-*. Those are technologies which have been at one point or another, used to build SOAs.
  4. The problem is that most people don't understand SOA in the least. Anyone thinking that SOA is dead doesn't know the first thing about software development. SOA is not SOAP, SOA is not ESBs, SOA is not WS-*. Those are technologies which have been at one point or another, used to build SOAs.
    Sorry for the lame joke. Back when I worked at IBM, SOA was drilled into everyone's head. I agree that service oriented design has been around a long time. I don't think much of SOA or what ever the vendors like to call it. Before SOAP and WS* junk polluted the world, people were building B2B services. I've had to use SOAP and WS stuff at several different projects and it's just got too much hype. I blame the vendors for the hype. I don't see much sense in product oriented SOA book. A book on service oriented design that covers the evolution, pros and cons would be more useful. I'll stop being a grumpy old man now. peter
  5. I'll stop being a grumpy old man now.
    Sure. For now. ;)
  6. The problem is that most people don't understand SOA in the least. Anyone thinking that SOA is dead doesn't know the first thing about software development. SOA is not SOAP, SOA is not ESBs, SOA is not WS-*. Those are technologies which have been at one point or another, used to build SOAs.
    It's a quite common situation, nothing new. People don't understand object-oriented approach. People don't understand distributed computing. People don't understand a lot of things affecting developer's daily work. The problem is that this kind of people are often those who never built any system and their preferred activity is tell others how things should be done. Anyway, SOA is dead on the mouth of the above people. Now there are clouds. Hope that some good rain can sweep them away. Guido
  7. Re: Didn't someone say SOA is dead[ Go to top ]

Ha, that was the take of a prominent analyst from The Burton Group. I think it's been pretty thoroughly debunked.
  8. Re: Didn't someone say SOA is dead[ Go to top ]

Ha, that was the take of a prominent analyst from The Burton Group.
    Yeah, listening to a palm reader is more valuable than listening to groups like Burton and Gartner.
  9. Re: Didn't someone say SOA is dead[ Go to top ]

what???? what????
  10. I seem to remember threads on TSS about SOA being dead. So why write a book about something that's dead? SOA is over hyped.
    Vendor backed SOA "packaged" solutions are dead. SOA as an idea and what it actually stands for - Architecture - are alive and well.
  11. I've read the book[ Go to top ]

Hi all, I've read the book. I'd recommend it for anyone who is seriously considering putting together an Open-Source powered application infrastructure. The first couple of chapters in particular will give you some valuable insights into how to choose implementations for various parts. This alone will save you tons of time, and thus be worth the price of the book. If you're a tire-kicker, i.e. someone who's just dabbling in it, you might look elsewhere. There are some decent examples of how to actually use the pieces, but IMHO the greatest value in this book is in helping you choose the right components. (I've actually implemented a few production projects that used SOA infrastructure, they invariably start with a lengthy evaluation period in which you weigh pros and cons for open source and propietary parts. Here's where you get a big headstart.) If you are using one of the projects the book highlights, it's also got worthwhile content. Plenty of good tips, but this book alone probably won't carry you. That's my take, anyway. Best Regards, Rick
  12. This is a very good book. I purchased it about a month ago because it covers some open source projects I've been investigating for work. I surly give it a thumbs up. I'll wait for the Open Source Cloud book next ;)
  13. OK... I'll bite on defending cloud computing. I think comparing clouds to SOA is really improper. While SOA was always overhyped - clouds are very practical and are driven by developer's needs (EC2, GAE, etc.). So clouds are natural extension of grid computing + virtualization and thus very practical in their nature. As far as SOA - it's silently morphed into ESB/REST-style programming in the last couple of years and I thin it's found it equilibrium there. And I would agree that SOAP/WSDL/UDDI trio is dead for sure (good riddance!) My 2 cents, Nikita Ivanov GridGain - Cloud Development Platform
  14. Re: New book on the open enterprise[ Go to top ]

This is a very good book. I purchased it about a month ago because it covers some open source projects I've been investigating for work. I surly give it a thumbs up.

I'll wait for the Open Source Cloud book next ;)
    surely you didn't mean surly? I think Peter gave it surly thumgs down. lol.
  15. Re: New book on the open enterprise[ Go to top ]

This is a very good book. I purchased it about a month ago because it covers some open source projects I've been investigating for work. I surly give it a thumbs up.

I meant thumbs. I hate laptop keyboards. That's what i get for making fun of someone's typing mistakes. DOH.
  16. Re: New book on the open enterprise[ Go to top ]

I haven't read the book, so can't say if it's good or bad. My comment was more about SOAP WS stacks and making fun of them. Having used a wide variety of SOAP stacks, I'm left with the feeling it's painful and bloated. Plus, it's fun to make snide remarks about vendor backed SOA. I was writing xml services back in 1999 and so were plenty of other people. Good riddance to vendor driven SOA and hurray for practical service oriented applications.