Discussions

News: OpenXava 3.1.4 released

1. OpenXava 3.1.4 released (6 messages)

OpenXava 3.1.4 is a framework to develop Java Enterprise applications in a different way: You provide only your POJOs annotated with JPA and you obtain an application ready for production. With OpenXava, you only need to write your model, POJOs and Java annotations. You do not need to write the view, and the controller (for CRUD, printing, etc) is reused. And from that you'll have an application for CRUD, report generation in PDF, export to Excel, searching, sorting, validations etc. You only need to write a simple Java class, no XMLs, no JSPs and no code generation. Look at the demos. If you current applications use JPA entities, you can move your JPA code to an OpenXava application and obtain an AJAX portal application easily. OpenXava is not only for writing simple CRUDs for simple classes, you can create sophisticated applications with complex logic and advanced UI. OpenXava supports references, collections, inheritance, nested tabs, nested frames for grouping, etc. If you develop business applications, use JPA or are interested in Java Portals (as Liferay, WebSphere Portal or JetSpeed) do not doubt, download OpenXava and evaluate it. This new 3.1.4 version has more than 50 new features and fixes over 3.1.3, including translation to Serbian and Swedish, support for Liferay 5.2.3, @Formula annotation, formatters for list mode, etc. See all the changes. OpenXava is LGPL so you can develop commercial applications with it. More info: http://www.openxava.org/ Do you think that model-driven frameworks really improves productivity?

Threaded Messages (6)

2. Accessible[ Go to top ]

Anyone know of a similar framework that generates accessible code?
  3. Re: OpenXava 3.1.4 released[ Go to top ]

Very nice. Reminds me NakedObjects or SansSouci. Navilis by Xcalia was even closer to this concept. MDA approach is nice and powerful, maybe not for full applications but for test and validation at least. Integration with Groovy would be a plus.
  4. Re: OpenXava 3.1.4 released[ Go to top ]

Hi Eric,
    maybe not for full applications but for test and validation at least.
    I don't know any case of OpenXava application used for test and validation, though, you're right, it can be very useful for that. All OpenXava applications I know are real applications developed for production. The key is that OX is flexible enough to adapt your application to any need of a typical business application. You can refine the user interface using the view annotations, define your own behavior with controllers, and customize the user interface generator. You can use OpenXava for production application as long as the shape of your wanted application would be alike the applications OX produces, but if you develop business application this will be very probable.
    Integration with Groovy would be a plus.
    I agree
  5. Re: OpenXava 3.1.4 released[ Go to top ]

[...]With OpenXava, you only need to write your model, POJOs and Java annotations. You do not need to write the view, and the controller (for CRUD, printing, etc) is reused. And from that you'll have an application for CRUD, report generation in PDF, export to Excel, searching, sorting, validations etc. You only need to write a simple Java class, no XMLs, no JSPs and no code generation.[...]
    The more I get involved into Java I can see that there is a lot of frameworks and technologies dedicated to real big projects. It is great to see that some do consider frameworks for "the common smaller sized project" - at least OpenXava sounds to be a solution in that realm. Looking at some of my current needs I find a Java EE full stack definitely overbloated. I would like to see more smaller frameworks on the bottom level just "skipping" tomcat/glassfish and all the other application server stuff and provide some more modularity. So whatever I need for the particular product I could just add the particular libraries to my class path. - Please keep in mind: This my opinion is really just to apply to smaller projects that do only have a certain focus.
  6. Re: OpenXava 3.1.4 released[ Go to top ]

What are the advantages and disadvantages when compared to Spring Roo?
  7. Re: OpenXava 3.1.4 released[ Go to top ]

Hi Sergio,
    What are the advantages and disadvantages when compared to Spring Roo?
    Both have the same goal, to simplify Java Enterprise development, but they are completely different things. Spring Roo is about tooling, that is, it's a passive code generator. In the other hand, OpenXava is a Model-Driven Framework that does not use code generation, everything is generated dynamically, so, the code you write, is the only code you have. My tip for you is: create a simple application with both, and compare yourself. Obviously I cannot give you an unbiased comparison. Nevertheless, there are a review of several domain-driven frameworks that includes OpenXava.