MuleSoft Announces General Availability of Tcat Server

Discussions

News: MuleSoft Announces General Availability of Tcat Server

1. MuleSoft Announces General Availability of Tcat Server (10 messages)

MuleSoft has announced the GA release of its Tcat Server, version 6 R1, an enterprise Apache Tomcat Server. Free for developers, Tcat Server is 100% unmodified Apache Tomcat with additional capabilities for application deployment, diagnostics and server grouping capabilities. Tcat Server was in public beta for the past month, and is now generally available. Changes for GA: 1. Integration with Maven – Applications can now be published to Tcat's internal content repository from a Maven plug-in, so webapps can be deployed to your Tomcat server instances from the repository 2. Support for Tomcat 5.5 – this is an addition to supporting Tomcat 6.x 3. Roll-back functionality for provisioning – this allows users to restore a prior version of the application package from deployment history. 4. Amazon EC2 plug-in – This optional component enables you to provision new instances of Tcat Server onto EC2, based on a Tcat Server Amazon machine image (AMI). Newly provisioned servers can be managed from the Tcat Server console Features already available prior to this release: 1. Application provisioning – provision a single war file or a group of war files as a package to one or multiple servers (servers can be added to a Server Group), remotely deploy, undeploy, redeploy web applications on any of your managed Tomcat instances. 2. Tomcat specific diagnostics – in-built diagnostics to get Tomcat and JVM specific information, including heap and permgen memory utilization graphs, live thread listings, version information, and more. This does not require install of a heavyweight monitoring solution. Everything is packaged together. 3. Application management – start/stop and restart an application on any of the managed Tomcat instances 4. Server grouping – create server groups to match your organization or geographical preferences (e.g., "all my Tomcat servers in New York"). In addition, MuleSoft is offering free email support for Tomcat users. For more information, http://www.mulesoft.com

Threaded Messages (10)

2. Are you contributing back?[ Go to top ]

It seems you are only adding some functionalities to LambdaProbe (www.lambdaprobe.org). Do you plan to contribute that back to the LambdaProbe community? Specifically you are adding: Integration with Maven, Roll-back functionality for provisioning, Amazon EC2 plug-in and Server grouping.
  3. Lambda[ Go to top ]

Leandro, Clarification - we added all of the above, but not to the lambda. We already had some IP and products, which were further developed and turned into a Tcat product eventually. Lambda is just a fraction of the whole picture. Then, again, last time I checked, there was no lambda probe community, it was dormant. Some recent action under Psi Probe fork, but too early to tell anything. HTH, Andrew
  4. Re: Lambda[ Go to top ]

The LambdaProbe project is indeed dormant. But that doesn't change the fact that it is an open source community based project, so I'm asking if you will contribute your changes back even if it is for a fork like Psi Probe.
  5. Re: Lambda[ Go to top ]

I'm not the one making the final decision, and it definitely won't happen right now. You might have seen earlier discussion threads when we announced betas. Briefly - it's definitely hard on someone to consume that amount of change when contributed back. The codebase has undergone major redesign, including complete restructuring and change of the build system. If we are to contribute it back, it would really make more sense to start a new project. After all, that's OSS is all about ;)
  6. Official response needed[ Go to top ]

Andrey, etc. I think MuleSoft needs to formally clarify this point about seemingly "taking open source project, privately extending it and selling it for profit without given anything back to community." I know this is not that simply but there is a massive confusion about this and overall licensing complications (I've been asked point blank today about this by the client) and there's a perceived "smell" by all these dodging answers. We at GridGain provide native support for Mule and I, for one, have no idea on how to answer this question... Best, Nikita Ivanov. GridGaid - Cloud Development Platform
  7. Re: Official response needed[ Go to top ]

This question came up once before on this thread I’ll add some more official response here. LambdaProbe is a GPL licensed open source project that has been dormant for a couple of years. We approached the owner of LambdaProbe and did an OEM agreement where MuleSoft can use the LambdaProbe codebase under a commercial license. It is common practice for GPL projects to strike a commercial agreement with a company so that the company can ship the project under a commercial license. To be absolutely clear, there is no GPL code shipped with Tcat. Our version of LambdaProbe made lots of architectural changes to the original product we are not planning to donate that code back since we are using a commercial licensed LambdaProbe. The LambdaProbe piece is just one part of the Tcat product, only dealing with diagnostics. The application management, provisioning, server management, versioning and audit pieces are all IP that we have built in-house, either directly for Tcat or for one of our other products. Cheers, Ross MuleSoft
  8. Re: Official response needed[ Go to top ]

(I've been asked point blank today about this by the client) and there's a perceived "smell" by all these dodging answers.

We at GridGain provide native support for Mule and I, for one, have no idea on how to answer this question...
    Tcat and Mule are separate products. Nothing has changed for Mule. Hopefully my answer above will dispel any fears of MuleSoft shipping GPL code with Tcat. Cheers, Ross MuleSoft
  9. Re: Official response needed[ Go to top ]

Thanks! Does it for me... Nikita. GridGain - Cloud Development Platform
  10. Re: Official response needed[ Go to top ]

I think MuleSoft needs to formally clarify this point about seemingly "taking open source project, privately extending it and selling it for profit without given anything back to community."
    But they DO give a lot back to the community!!! Let's not forget all the efforts they put into telling people how bad Java EE is and how bad containers are. The amount of hours put into this should not be underestimated. They write migration papers on how to move away from defunct Java EE application platforms like Weblogic and Jboss to Tomcat. They put countless hours into convincing people about the badness of Jboss AS and the merits of Tomcat. And don't get me wrong. The fact that people moving away from Jboss AS to a bare Tomcat might need something like this Tcat Server from our benevolent friends at MuleSoft is nothing but a complete coincidence. After all, a bare Tomcat is the perfect fit for any business problem and nothing else is needed for all development but a totally bare Tomcat. This is the message they advocate, so uhmm... you thus basically also don't need this Tcat server. Maybe they even have a paper ready on how to move away from TCat server to bare Tomcat?
  11. Re: Official response needed[ Go to top ]

I think MuleSoft needs to formally clarify this point about seemingly "taking open source project, privately extending it and selling it for profit without given anything back to community."

But they DO give a lot back to the community!!!

Let's not forget all the efforts they put into telling people how bad Java EE is and how bad containers are. The amount of hours put into this should not be underestimated. They write migration papers on how to move away from defunct Java EE application platforms like Weblogic and Jboss to Tomcat. They put countless hours into convincing people about the badness of Jboss AS and the merits of Tomcat.

And don't get me wrong. The fact that people moving away from Jboss AS to a bare Tomcat might need something like this Tcat Server from our benevolent friends at MuleSoft is nothing but a complete coincidence. After all, a bare Tomcat is the perfect fit for any business problem and nothing else is needed for all development but a totally bare Tomcat. This is the message they advocate, so uhmm... you thus basically also don't need this Tcat server. Maybe they even have a paper ready on how to move away from TCat server to bare Tomcat?
    You have said what i want to say