Discussions

News: Apache ActiveMQ 5.3.0 Release

1. Apache ActiveMQ 5.3.0 Release (12 messages)

Apache ActiveMQ is a production-ready message broker used by many organizations for their asynchronous messaging needs. With this new release, we continued to work toward stability, but we also included many new features. Some of those include: * New KahaDB persistent storage, which improves scalability and recovery * Integrated Camel 2.0.0 enterprise integration pattern framework, along with its web console * Improved Stomp protocol to be used over SSL and NIO transports * Improved configuration - default configuration is now production oriented and there are a lot of example configurations for various use cases, such as vertical scaling or throughput * Ability to query broker for statistics from non-Java clients (by sending a message) * More broker plugins to help tracing messages in networks, improving logging, etc. * FTP support for blob messages * ... and much more Be sure to check it out - http://activemq.apache.org/activemq-530-release.html

Threaded Messages (12)

2. can ever be held hostage to a hung clients. Unfortunately, ActiveMQ has some nasty habits of hanging on socket, write/read on misbehaving clients. This is due to the use of the standard Java library and not NIO which should really be the default but is rarely used and not very well tested. Check out: http://www.nabble.com/-activemq-user--Application-Hanging-when-Sending-JMS-Messages-td815460.html#a3885539 It also uses way too many threads and not very scalable. We are ripping it out in favor of HornetQ. I wish ActiveMQ will get their act together.
  3. Its early, I'm tired and this must be flame bait, but here goes ... Why are you referencing a 4 year thread, about an issues in ActiveMQ 3.x ? Yep, really sorry that issues, so did version 4 and 5 and there's bound to be issues in the latest too. I think if you gave ActiveMQ 5.3 a try, your be pleasantly surprised. We've included more example configurations, so you can exactly what parameters to set to make it scale and perform (even at the same time if you're really crazy). You can decide to use lots of threads, few threads, nio (its used a lot in production systems - its been well tested btw). Heck, you can even configure a camel route inside the ActiveMQ to help make tea. The point is - ActiveMQ does scale (extremely well in this version), doesn't need to use lots of threads and is used very successfully in production in thousands of companies. Need coffee.
  4. As you said, it is early in the morning. Just grabbed the first reference I can find about this nagging issue. Here is the real ticket: http://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-1993. Unfortunately it still fails in production. Not as frequent, but enough to cause us a lot of pain. Tried looking at NIO, but with our little brains as another intelligent poster mentioned, we could not find configuration information on how to get ssl to work on top of nio in 5.2x.A quick search on your forum had a total of 45 hits on NIO out of thousands of posts. Not very impressive. Being an ActiveMQ committer, I would have hoped that you knew about this serious issue rather than try to accuse people of being trolls. If in version 5.2, you still have a "Scalable" product that can be locked up by an errant client, then it is perhaps not worthy of a 5.0 designation. Cheers.
  5. AMQ-1993 is fixed and part of the ActiveMQ 5.3 release - which is what this thread is about ? If its not fixed for you in 5.3 please re-open the ticket.
  6. Tarek said: [...]just grabbed the first reference I can find about this nagging issue[..]
    Rob said: AMQ-1993 is fixed and part of the ActiveMQ 5.3 release [...]
    Ouch! That hurts, eh?
  7. Check out:
    http://www.nabble.com/-activemq-user--Application-Hanging-when-Sending-JMS-Messages-td815460.html#a3885539

It also uses way too many threads and not very scalable. We are ripping it out in favor of HornetQ. I wish ActiveMQ will get their act together.
    That's just immensely stupid Tarek. Your brain on HornetQ: . Your brain on ActiveMQ: O
  8. Congratulations for the release. Keep up the good work guys! I think each and every Open-Source project has their uniqueness, and their strengths + weaknesses. Most importantly, they allow us to develop solutions without re-inventing the wheel, and reduce our time to deliver/market, in addition, they are free! I believe we should applaud and encourage them to develop the project further, rather than demotivating them just because we're upset over a single feature/bug/etc. Moreover, the more choice we have, the better, as healthy competitions always drives new innovation, and we are left with more choices. Long live ActiveMQ, HornetQ, OpenMQ! (in alphabetical order)
  9. Re: Apache ActiveMQ 5.3.0 Release[ Go to top ]

ActiveMQ has basically been a life saver time and again for us. Never EVER any problems whatsoever. Keep up the great work!
  10. Comparison?[ Go to top ]

Hi, Congratulation to the team! I've used ActiveMQ only for a little toy-project, but at that time (somewhere in the 4.x series) OpenMQ seemed more robust (at least it didn't crashed in my scenario, I don't know the reason, might be just configuration or memory, whatever). In the last year I haven't used either one at all, so I'd be interested how do you compare it to OpenMQ (or any major open-source JMS product), both the features and the performance? Thanks, Istvan
  11. Re: Comparison?[ Go to top ]

Hi,

Congratulation to the team!

I've used ActiveMQ only for a little toy-project, but at that time (somewhere in the 4.x series) OpenMQ seemed more robust (at least it didn't crashed in my scenario, I don't know the reason, might be just configuration or memory, whatever). In the last year I haven't used either one at all, so I'd be interested how do you compare it to OpenMQ (or any major open-source JMS product), both the features and the performance?

Thanks,
    Istvan
    As these benchmarks will make little sense for your specific case (that's always the case with benchmarks), do your own testing. Most likely, you'll find that ActiveMQ beats the competition in all important areas :-D
  12. Re: Comparison?[ Go to top ]

As these benchmarks will make little sense for your specific case (that's always the case with benchmarks), do your own testing.

Most likely, you'll find that ActiveMQ beats the competition in all important areas :-D
    If you don't check it, you cannot be sure If you do check it, you cannot be sure either, but at least it gives you hints :)
  13. Re: Comparison?[ Go to top ]

Both products are in active development for years. You can expect both to work reasonably well or even perfectly according to the specs. One major difference between the two is the quality of their documentation: ActiveMQ's documentation is, you know, somewhat sketchy and messy. When you are in need for help to understand how to use or configure a particular feature, then the sketchy documentation is simply not up to the task, especially when you are inexperienced with the product. OpenMQ on the other hand is very well documented, it explain everything, including concepts, usage scenarios, configuration, client development, very clearly. ZC