Discussions

News: NetKernel 4.0 released

1. NetKernel 4.0 released (4 messages)

NetKernel is a resource oriented computing (ROC) platform built on a Java-based REST microkernel architecture. NetKernel may be used either as a fully-featured standalone application server or as an embeddable component allowing ROC's caching and scalability to be used inside existing Java application architectures. ROC and earlier generations of NetKernel have been used in production systems for over 7 years in industries ranging from Telecoms, Insurance and Military. NetKernel 4.0.0 is completely new and introduces a general model for the resource oriented composition of software. Conceptually ROC extends and unifies concepts from Unix and REST to offer dynamically bound fully decoupled Web-like software environments within and between the finest granularity code. NetKernel Standard Edition is a modular system and is backed by a large repository of installable packages, including dynamic languages, domain specific resource processing tool-sets and a diverse range of transports. NetKernel Standard Edition is released under the 1060 Public License and is available for download from http://www.1060research.com .

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Congratulations to the team for getting a new release out. I saw Brian Sletton speak about this at NFJS in Boston and this technology looks quite intriguing. If someone wanted to get started, do you have a quick "hello world" tutorial?
  3. Tutorials included ...[ Go to top ]

Thank you! The NetKernel download JAR file is self-executing and the distribution includes full documentation including tutorials. -- Randy
  4. Not convincing[ Go to top ]

I quick-read two white papers and found a helloworld tutorial. The documentation is much too theoretic. You kinda throw conventional software developement in a blender, so I really would like to see some example with practical programms; adressbook is always a great example, since it combines GUI, data retrieval and updates. Or NetKernel must only focus on ESB alike problems, but I did not read that from the documentation. And statements like: "performance is reached by caching", always put chills on my back. Referring to that example: if I request todays stock price and the it changes during the day, how would the cache be invalidated? I've seen enough examples where people normalized their whole database into two tables, because that was flexible, and I get the gut feeling this is somewhere in the same ballpark. So to me it's not convincing.
  5. Not convincing[ Go to top ]

I have not yet used the NetKernel 4 directly, but worked with NetKernel 3 to port our J2EE based application earlier. The most impressive part of NetKernel to me was the way NetKernel caches the resource requests and the way it handles the cache dependency through Golden Threads is a wonderful concept. As a developer you have complete control on how to expire your cache based on this golden thread pattern. You could have a million resources above you in the dependency matrix and all of those resources from the cache expire by cutting a golden thread at the bottom of your dependency matrix. With a single line of code your cache expiry is taken care across the rest of your software. Caching is definitely something very powerful in NetKernel based on my personal experiences, after having worked on Internet, REST, J2EE, .NET, and Unix applications for the last 20 years now.