Play! 1.0 final is out

Discussions

News: Play! 1.0 final is out

1. Play! 1.0 final is out (5 messages)

For years, JEE has been the only way to create web applications in Java. However it is infamous for its low productivity, mainly due to repeated and tedious compile-package-deploy cycles. So let me introduce a new refreshing way to create web applications in Java. We are very pleased to announce the final release of the Play! Framework 1.0 (http://www.playframework.org), which makes it easier to create web applications in Java. Play is a full stack framework and comes "batteries included" with all the components required to create any modern Web application. It focuses on the developers productivity with an awesome "fix it and hit reload" development process, clear error messages displaying the source code right in your web browser, and an integrated test runner that makes test driven development a breeze. Play relies on many Open Source components: Apache Mina provides the very fast non-blocking network stack, Groovy is the expression language for our new powerful template engine, and Hibernate manages the object/relational mapping (ORM) (and we of course use many other as well). The framework is based on a "share nothing" architecture and will help you create your Web applications in a RESTFul way. It is also easy to scale by using several servers simultaneously, without any synchronization. Consequently Play applications can be used to handle a very high load. Play comes with a complete documentation and several sample applications that will show you typical development patterns. You can take a look at the introduction screencast, try the first "Hello world" tutorial or follow the complete play guide. As the 1.0 branch is now in maintenance mode, we have started to work on new features on the 1.1 branch, and especially on the Scala language support. Also don't miss the "Play! framework in practice" BoF session at Devoxx 2009.

Threaded Messages (5)

2. Looks nice but[ Go to top ]

This looks really nice and a fluid to quickly develop Java web apps using solid components and the current REST style. However, I've been noticing popular Web frameworks such as Drupal, along with quite a palette of typical requirements, are supporting features like microformats and RDFa. I notice that Java frameworks are usually oriented towards medium level highly custom applications, and no module level sharing of deploy ready functionality, whereas the other systems like Drupal are oriented towards higher level, more complete apps. The Java web suites tend to be heavyweight and clunky. That said, I really prefer working with Java for its robustness and breadth, so I'd like to find a medium - high level framework that doesn't place undue restrictions on the generated html, and includes best standards around accessibility, AJAX and web 3.0 (semantic) features. I know all the pieces are there, Java leads in web 3.0 components (Jena, etc) ... a project layered on a framework like Play! that also provides typical web sites functionality in a highly extensible way and a shared community of modules without the weight of a full JEE app would solve a big hole in Java land. Play modules look like they could be helpful, but a consistent model for system objects (eg users) would be required.
  3. Re: Looks nice but[ Go to top ]

I notice that Java frameworks are usually oriented towards medium level highly custom applications, and no module level sharing of deploy ready functionality, whereas the other systems like Drupal are oriented towards higher level, more complete apps. The Java web suites tend to be heavyweight and clunky. That said, I really prefer working with Java for its robustness and breadth, so I'd like to find a medium - high level framework...
    Quercus lets you integrate Drupal and other PHP frameworks with Java, in just the way you mentioned. (Disclaimer: I work for Caucho, which makes Quercus.)
  4. Why do people write this stuff?[ Go to top ]

For years, JEE has been the only way to create web applications in Java. However it is infamous for its low productivity, mainly due to repeated and tedious compile-package-deploy cycles.
    How can you seriously claim that "JEE has been the only way to create web applications in Java"? Either you're totally ignorant of the other 75 or so web frameworks (listed at http://www.darwinsys.com/jwf/ for reference), or, you think that none of them matters, but the one you just found out about does! In which case I say: wow, how did you get to be so great that you found the ONE framework that matters? Oh, now I get it. This is not a review, it's a press release. Seriously, though, most of this is not new. Integration? I think that DotCMS (http://www.dotcms.org), an under-estimated Java CMS, now supports integration of Ruby, Python, PHP, Groovy, and JavaScript.
  5. Re: Why do people write this stuff?[ Go to top ]

Please, read the post once a g a i n - this time with UNDERSTANDING...
  6. Re: Play! 1.0 final is out[ Go to top ]

Congratulations on the release. The framework looks interesting, there are several examples, there is good documentation, a screencast... thank you for sharing your efforts with the community! Cheers, Frederic Daoud http://www.stripesbook.com