Atmosphere Framework 0.4 Released

Discussions

News: Atmosphere Framework 0.4 Released

1. Atmosphere Framework 0.4 Released (7 messages)

Atmosphere allow the creation of RESTful and Ajax Push/Comet applications, and version 0.4 is ready for prime time. This release contains many new features and can be seen in action in many well-known frameworks. Atmosphere's adoption continues with this release, starting with PrimeFaces' support for Ajax Push/Comet (event on the iPhone). You can also see Atmosphere in action within the Scala based Akka Project. Don't want to use Java? Why not using the Atmosphere Grails' plug in. Don't like Scala, Java and Groovy? Why not trying JRuby! What's new since Atmosphere 0.3?
    • Easy integration with other Framework like Wicket and GWT
    • New Meteor API for easier integration with existing Servlet based applications
    • Support the latest Bayeux Protocol specification and implementation from the DOJO Foundation powered Cometd.org
    • The Atmosphere RESTful module can now be used with and without session support.
    • Works with EJB 3.1
    • New work-in-progress white paper (PDF)
    • The configuration file atmosphere.xml is now optional
    • Delayed and Scheduled Broadcast now supported.
    • The new Atmosphere Spade Server is an end-to-end stack that aggregate technology including the Grizzly Servlet Container, Jersey Runtime and The Atmosphere Framework and Plug In in single jar file! See how simple you can deploy on it, and it's production ready!
    • All Atmosphere modules are OSGi ready
    • You can now force Atmosphere to use Servlet 3.0 Async API or Blocking I/O API instead of Native Async API like Grizzly Comet, Tomcat AIO or Jetty Continuation
    • You can implement your own Comet support via the new CometSupport SPI
    • Many new sample like PubSub, GWT, Meteor, Embedded Atmosphere etc. now available
    • JBoss, Jetty, Tomcat, WebLogic and GlassFish native API usage optimized.
    For any questions or to download Atmosphere, go to our main site and use our Nabble forum (no subscription needed) or follow us on Twitter and tweet your questions there!

Threaded Messages (7)

2. Atmosphere makes comet/push a no-brainer to implement, it's just so easy to use. It also plays well with different java web frameworks, PrimeFaces-JSF integration is an example.
  3. More clarity[ Go to top ]

I need more clarity in the download options. What are the following: * Download atmosphere-compat (???) * Download atmosphere-jersey (REST and Annotations support) or Atmosphere Runtime (???)
  4. Re: More clarity[ Go to top ]

If you plan want to write REST based application, you need atmosphere-{compat,runtime,jersey]. If not, just need atmosphere-{compat, runtime]. Thanks!
  5. Performance[ Go to top ]

Any ideas on performance? How does this compare to Jetty + Cometd performance wise? Is this even an Apples to Apples comparison?
  6. Re: Performance[ Go to top ]

Didn't do any performance test but it's really the native implementation under the hood that will makes the difference, not the framework. Cometd.org runs on top of Atmosphere so I guess you can always compare Cometd.org on Jetty vs Cometd.org. on Atmosphere on Jetty...but I doubt there is a perf difference. -- Jeanfrancois
  7. Meteor & session support[ Go to top ]

Congratulations for the Atmosphere project, I think it is a big step forward in creating comet based apps. I have tested the Meteor api and I would like to ask you if I can change the scope of a Meteor broadcast to the current session. Right now, I have many suspended requests and a Meteor for each session and when I make a broadcast, every suspended client will get it. Best regards, Lucian
  8. Re: Meteor & session support[ Go to top ]

Lucian, If you want to change the Broadcaster scope to session, I recommend you manipulate the AtmosphereResource instead of the Meteor, as right now the Meteor's broadcaster scope cannot be changed in 0.4 (but 0.5-SNAPSHOT supports it, so if you update no issue). If you can't update, get the AtmosphereResource from the HttpServletRequest attibutes and just do: Broadcaster b = new Broadcaster(); b.setScope(SCOPE.REQUEST); AtmosphereResource.setBroadcaster(b); ... Let's continue nthe discussion on users at atmosphere dot dev dot java dot net :-) Thanks!